Plate quenching

JRNP

First post! I just got hold of some massive aluminum plates and was wondering if anyone had tried plate quenching. I understand the theory but I am not sure how well it works since edge is not in contact with the plate. Is a plate quench more accurate? Can I expect the same hardness or am I wasting my time? The plate quench seems to be a clean and safe alternative to oil.

I'm no expert but I've been plate quenching for almost a year now, it's an excellent way to quench air hardening steels. Aluminum draws the heat out of the steel very fast (including the portions not in direct contact with the plates) and if done properly keeps the blade very straight. One thing I was concerned about and still have not experimented with is that the tip of a fully ground blade might tweek to one side so I usually either don't pre grind the blade or just do a bare minimum grind in the case of thicker stock.

Keep in mind that plate quenching does not work for oil hardening steels.

Les I place the blades, foil and all, in between 1" aluminum plates, give it a little weight and use the compressor to blow air between plates. So far so good.

BC

Les I place the blades, foil and all, in between 1" aluminum plates, give it a little weight and use the compressor to blow air between plates. So far so good.

BC

I heard about using a blowgun when I first started plate quenching and I do that when I have more than 2 or 3 blades to quench but I found that the plates can handle 2 or 3 easily. I've had to cool the plates in water even when using air if I have a lot blade to do, or several large blades.

I'll be trying this on CPM154 which I understand is a good candidate for a plate quench. This stuff is ridiculously hard to grind when hard so I would like to grind as much as possible before hand. Is the warp extreme or can it be dealt with?

I also have some large fin type heat syncs from motor drives which will certainly cool the blade quicker but is the extra speed a good thing or will it cause the tip to warp more?

Les is probably right but I like to blast compressed air in between the plates also. It makes me feel pro-active instead of just leaning on the plates.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Plate quenching sounds easy darn near fool proof! I will try this tomorrow.

I'll be trying this on CPM154 which I understand is a good candidate for a plate quench. This stuff is ridiculously hard to grind when hard so I would like to grind as much as possible before hand. Is the warp extreme or can it be dealt with?

Well I use CPM154 almost exclusively (at least until I run out of it) and it grinds very nicely after HT, no harder than ATS-34. I don't grind any of my 1/8" or under stock and I only take a little off the 3/16" If you grind evenly and keep it cool you probably won't get any warpage.

I may have overstated the difficulty of the CPM154 I really don't have that much experience with the stuff. I have heard that grinding after HT can actually be better for beginners due to slower stock removal leading to fewer mistakes, but I find it to be more tedious and I go through more belts. I will take your advice though and just take off enough to establish the bevel for later.

Simple success

I tried the plate quench this afternoon. The blade is in the oven now for tempering, well its probably done by now. I think I am hooked this is fast clean and I have only tried the CPM154 a couple times before but I can really see that it is better. And no warp, at least not this time. I would like to do a tutorial myself but not until I am sure I am doing right.:confused: I have no way to test the hardness. Bummer!

Just get some good ceramic belts like norton hoogers or blaze belts. I bet Tracy could hook you up! I almost can't even tell that I am grinding hardend steel when using ceramic. They are a little more $ but well worth it. I also have been plate quenching for about a year and love it! It keeps the blade straight and does a nice job. I hardly grind any off before the plate quench also.

I tried the plate quench this afternoon. The blade is in the oven now for tempering, well its probably done by now. I think I am hooked this is fast clean and I have only tried the CPM154 a couple times before but I can really see that it is better. And no warp, at least not this time. I would like to do a tutorial myself but not until I am sure I am doing right.:confused: I have no way to test the hardness. Bummer!

I haven't been able to Rockwell test one in a while now myself, take a good quality file (not diamond) and try file off a bit in an inconspicuous place, the file shouldn't do much more than shine up a spot and will make a loud sharp sound as opposed to dull muffled sound.

Blaze orange belts rock! well worth the money and usaknifemakers has a good price on them.

Here's my plate quench set up. The plates can help with warping but mainly they are a heat sink to quench the steel faster. The key to reducing warpage is to grind as symmetrically as possible on each side. I taper the tang on everything and have only my flats in contact with plates, and hardly ever have warpage mainly because I try to make the blade as symmetric as possible prior to heat treating.
-John
dewclawandshop006.jpg

John hit it on the head, uneven grinds will cause more warpage problems than any thing else.When my grinds improved my warping problems went away.
Stan

I have just plate quenched one CPM154Cm but that was realy nice the blade was 62 HRC before tempering and i didnt cryo it. I quenched betven O1 steel. But i will try aluminiun. I used 1,5 60 grit band on each side and i didnt grind so much before HT. I tempered at 202 C and get 58 HRC.
I have plate quenched pretty much AEB-L and i have had a few that warped but i gues that it was becouse of uneven grinding. I have grind up pretty much on AEB-L blades without warping but i havent grind so from the point.

Seved

John, That is an awsome plate quench clamp!! I will have to look into making something like that. I bet it works sweet!

I got the idea from J. Higgins when he was on BF a few years back. Made sure you get a vise with the quick release.
-John

Back