Prayers for my wife as she battles cancer

I hear you Sean. However an incident last night is pushing me to expedite her leaving here. She was “man handled” by ignorant and rude nurses aid. She actually hurt my wife and treated her like a mindless imbecile. Jerked around in the bed , shoved her across the room without the aid of her walker.
I went formally lodge a complaint they were supposed to send a group representing the hospital to discuss and investigate the incident! Since it is Friday and getting late in the day and no one has shown up I went to check on why.

So now they are trying to put me on ice. You know a cooling off period. Only thing is the wait is making me madder rather than giving me time to cool off!! The team is now one person and she had to leave but is cominjg back later tonight !! Now you see what I am up against!!

I hear you Sean. However an incident last night is pushing me to expedite her leaving here. She was “man handled” by ignorant and rude nurses aid. She actually hurt my wife and treated her like a mindless imbecile. Jerked around in the bed , shoved her across the room without the aid of her walker.
I went formally lodge a complaint they were supposed to send a group representing the hospital to discuss and investigate the incident! Since it is Friday and getting late in the day and no one has shown up I went to check on why.

So now they are trying to put me on ice. You know a cooling off period. Only thing is the wait is making me madder rather than giving me time to cool off!! The team is now one person and she had to leave but is cominjg back later tonight !! Now you see what I am up against!!
Sorry to hear that Cliff...you're in a tough place. Document everything. You may need it later. Take care

Stay vigilant Cliff, nasty people get jobs in hospital's too.

If I saw nurse rachet manhandle my wife like your saying I probably would have decked her.

Yeah, I did not see this first hand or we may have a real problem. The facilities handling of it has left me less than satisfied. This was a big woman not a man so the term man-handled may not be entirely true to the word!

I have been working on handling this all day. It was documented last night and twice today. Although I have some idea the facility will discipline or possibly fire the nurse.

I am less than satisfied about the outcome with there response to she hurt my wife and she is still in pain!

This incident has reaggravated a problem with my wife's neck that first came about 11 years ago right after my wife was first diagnosed with TM. She nearly did not survive this neck issue then. A lot of water and health has passed under the bridge since that time 11 years ago!!
I have my doubts with her health being in such fragile state as it is now. Whether she can come back from this once more!!
Imagine this you can only hold your neck in one position. You are constantly in excruciating pain, nothing relieves and the slightest movement of your neck or body sends you over the threshold of controllable pain!! That is where her neck issue is.

I have made up my mind! I am filling a police report for elder abuse in a skilled facility in the morning!! I have already contacted a lawyer and am awaiting his reply!! You see I am not one of those sue happy people but in this case they have crossed a line. And even if they discipline the individual involved. Any care from this incident is going to fall on us!! You can mess with me but when you mess with my family, you went too far!!

Frankly my wife told me after we got her neck pain stopped before, (and that went on for nearly a year of more) she was ready to commit suicide! She reveled that only to me years after the neck pain stopped!!!She told me she could just not stand the pain any longer!

Her pain management doctor told us when he first started treating her years ago that this type of disease had one of the highest suicide rates, of what he treated in pain management and that he was going to try and stop the pain! He got lucky he broke that pain cycle by injections in her neck. These type of injections some times help for time on, sometimes they help for years, months or weeks. I personally have had them in my back several times with no help at all!!

So I went to the CEO of the company this morning that owns the hospital Kathy is in. As well as the CNO or the Nurse's administrator as they call her! However due to unforeseen circumstances with Kathy's puppy dog this morning I was a bit late. They had came to the room and spoke with Kathy about 15 minutes before I got there.

So while my sweetheart and I enjoyed a donut and coffee from Dunkin! She related there conversation.

The CEO was unhappy because I have been running all over the hospital talking to everybody about what had happened! My blood began to boil. I called the Nursing administrator and told her I was there in the room. She said she was on a conference call but would come to the room as soon as she got done!!

When she got done, she did come to the room. She then asked me too come with her to meet the CEO. I said sure I want to talk to him!! I walked in his office and once we all got to meet one another I took the floor.

I understand you were not happy with me talking to anyone about what happened with my wife. First of all the only ones that have been talked to about this is your charge nurse the night it happened. My wife's case manager, your Nursing administrator and the charge nurse from last night as I wanted her to let your Nursing administrator know that I wanted to see her this morning.
Now I hardly call that talking to everyone!!

He stuttered well you see I was called this weekend when the Police showed up here. Well lets talk about that, I said!! Yes I called the police, and I fully intended to file formal charges against the woman who hurt my wife. As you are aware of they (the PPD), did not feel there was intent.
But you explain this to me how the hell do you manhandle some-one with out the intent to do it!! That woman hurt my wife and I fully intended to put her in jail!!

Now lets address the elephant in the room. Your nurses aid aggravated an old injury in my wife's neck! Which eleven years ago nearly killed her. So now her recovery has been derailed from where it was headed. Now we have to fix this problem so she can get back to heading in the direction of recovery!!

They came in today and done x-rays on Kathy's neck. I have doubts that will help at all. However they did send in a PT who worked with Kathy and her neck. There is a glimmer of hope there!!

I let them know whatever it took they were responsible for helping her get neck back to health!!!

Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!!!

God, help that woman, cause I do believe in Karma. Or as it has been said, what goes around, comes around!!

Please continue to pray for Kathy!!

While their was times I really wondered! She is going home today barring anything unforeseen at eabout 1:00 pm today!

Some folks might think I am cynical but after 12:30 pm they can and do charge for an entire day!!

Nope, I don't think you're overly cynical at all. I'm firmly convinced many things in hospitals are focused around "cash flow" rather than "medical"

Glad to hear Wife is going home today. That will be a BIG relief for BOTH of ya'll. Hang in there my Friend.

Last edited:
I got to bring Kathy home late yesterday afternoon! Please continue to pray for her as her recovery continues at home!
She continues to need dialysis and at present her white count is low!! But she is home and that is always a good thing for a person's recovery! This has been one hell of a ride and I don't care to repeat it!!

Halleluiah and praise the Lord!!

Quick update on Kathy!
She is home and doing better but her health is extremely fragile at this time. Still on dialysis but hoping to get her off soon. She is having bad headaches and sick from on dialysis treatment until the next.

Trying to get her back with her doctors as too what medicine to get her on at this time. That has been a real nightmare. If I can get an appointment she is still to ill from dialysis to make the appointment!

She saw the Chemo doctor the other day but she is not strong enough for chemo at this time! We meet with her radiation doctor this Friday. They may start her back on radiation. Not sure.

Until we can either get her off dialysis or get the dialysis where it is not making her so sick there is no way she can restart cancer treatment. Also they may have to do another PET scan to determine what the cancer has done for the time she was in the hospital and since. This will help to determine what the cancer is doing!!!

Will try and get an appointment with her nephrologist tomorrow as we are not getting anywhere trying to communicate with the nurse over the phone. They have adjusted her dry weight for the dialysis but she is too sick to continue like things have been going!!

I am having to adjust her meds daily to meet with BP and I don't like being the one to make those decisions!! Really crazy around here!! Hopefully things will continue to improve!! Continued prayers are welcome!!

Cliff - just a note to say Prayers are with you and family. Hang in there my Friend and do know I'm following this thread so please do keep updating as you have time. Ken H>

Kathy, had her newest PET scan the other day. The results came back and it appears the one tumor has shrunk considerably and the other less but still showing signs of shrinking! . She begins again with radiation for another three weeks! Maybe a round of chemo at the end of that three weeks! That will depend on the scan done after she finishes radiation! We are making a commitment to keep everything under a much closer check this time!!

Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts! I told her when she was at her worst and ready to give up, in the hospital. We are going to get you well, kick cancer's butt and we are going to dance at every one of our Grandchildren's weddings!!

Back