Question for Grizzly owners

Chris Martin

Well, I am highly considering getting a used/new Grizzly G1015.

I have read mixed reviews on it but most seem happy with it for an entry level grinder/sander. If I get one I will be buying the 10" wheel since I see limitations on the 4" for hollow grinding.

Only reason I am considering this one is the cost for one...second I bought a Dayton 2x42" and its way under powered for what I am wanting to do.

My question for you Grizzly owners/makers is what has been the largest/thickest blade you have made start-finish with this model? Sorry if thats a "stupid" question......I am just trying to see what has been accomplished with this grinder.

My Dayton is a nice little machine, and will still be used often for touching up etc. I am far from a maker......but really wanting to step up and give this a shot. I will be using my angle grinder and then sander for now until I can get the Grizzly, and I hope to get one soon.

Thanks for reading guys/gals. I look forward to seeing what has been done with yours.

When I asked this question the general feel was to save your money and build the "no weld grinder." I am doing this right now. But I came across a deal that was too good to turn down on a setup coote. I have worked on a NWG and it is great. Remember that you are getting a motor that is only running at one speed because it is a direct drive. With the NWG you use step pulleys so you can speed up or down. You can customize it to fit your needs and upgrade as you go. The motor for it...........I think Tracy has said to use at least a 1 1/2hp. I did some checking here in Joplin on a 2 hp and it was 197. But for $23 dollars mor I can get a 3hp. Look a maybe a used motor. They go cheap but you never know. Check around at scrap yard and at steel dealers. I go enough steel to make three basic grinders for $75 dollars. Jeff Pearce build his and several other people have. Order the plans from Tracy, $25 and well worth the money. Well this is just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey there James.

I was afraid that would come up...haha

I have read that the NWG is the only way to go, but was mainly considering it as I have seen several makers use them and say they are fine.

BUT, the variable speed option would be a great option to have since I have really no clue at what I am doing:cool:

I saw Jeff's, WIP NWG thread on JD. I love the looks of them bad boys! I just think it may be out of my league right now. Maybe I will hold off a little longer and see what I can sell.....save for what I need to build the NWG and start the right way2thumbs

I think my angle grinder and underpowered 2x42 will get me through for awhile.

Thanks for your input brother.

Good to see your up and posting again. And if your in the process of building your NWG I say things are looking good for ya!!

Thanks again, James.

Chris

When I asked this question the general feel was to save your money and build the "no weld grinder." I am doing this right now. But I came across a deal that was too good to turn down on a setup coote. I have worked on a NWG and it is great. Remember that you are getting a motor that is only running at one speed because it is a direct drive. With the NWG you use step pulleys so you can speed up or down. You can customize it to fit your needs and upgrade as you go. The motor for it...........I think Tracy has said to use at least a 1 1/2hp. I did some checking here in Joplin on a 2 hp and it was 197. But for $23 dollars mor I can get a 3hp. Look a maybe a used motor. They go cheap but you never know. Check around at scrap yard and at steel dealers. I go enough steel to make three basic grinders for $75 dollars. Jeff Pearce build his and several other people have. Order the plans from Tracy, $25 and well worth the money. Well this is just my thoughts.

chris, Your full of energy!! get one of those Peddle Jobs2thumbs

Smart arse.....lol Go win another raffle would ya:D

Besides, all them BMXing/Skate Boarding days blew out my knees....lol Peddle job is out of the questions....LMFAO:running dog:

I've never used anything but my NWG and i think it does just fine.....

(but I'm buying a KMG Disk VERY soon)

I started with a Griz. They are HORRIBLE for hollow grinding. Even with the 10" wheel. I had that option also. It goes so fast with the 10" wheel *any* little bobble adds a half of work to repair. It is an exercise in stress. They work well enough for a flat grinder. They are not variable speed and there is no way to make it variable. With the NWG, using 3 or 4 step pulleys you have all the speed control you need plus the flexibility of all the attachments. The cost will be more but you will have a machine that is 10x more flexible. Grizzley's make great buffers though! That is what I use mine for.

From the man himself2thumbs

I didnt mean variable speed with the Grizzly....I was saying with your NWG it would help me out big time.

I am going to be ordering a set of your NWG plans just as soon as I move something.

I cant wait to get started, using my little old Dayton 2x42" has been a big time teaser. I think the extra cost will only be one of the benefit's of building your NWG. The change of arms/wheel attachments etc....just blows me away.

You da man Boss!!

Chris

I started with a Griz. They are HORRIBLE for hollow grinding. Even with the 10" wheel. I had that option also. It goes so fast with the 10" wheel *any* little bobble adds a half of work to repair. It is an exercise in stress. They work well enough for a flat grinder. They are not variable speed and there is no way to make it variable. With the NWG, using 3 or 4 step pulleys you have all the speed control you need plus the flexibility of all the attachments. The cost will be more but you will have a machine that is 10x more flexible. Grizzley's make great buffers though! That is what I use mine for.

Found a like new motor that was being tossed , bought a SS 9" disc , talked my neighbor into wiring it up for me , I now have a reversible 1725 RPM disc grinder.

wip_20090728_0319.jpg

I used a Grizzly for awhile as my primary grinder and with a 10-inch wheel I did alright. :) A lot of people bag on 'em these days, but hell; I still use mine to put in the 45-degree grinds on blades before grinding and have a scotchbrite wheel (a must-have!) running on the "buffer" side.

I've ground a whole bunch of blades on the Grizzly before I got my KMG variable speed 2hp rig. I never could get a decent hollow grind on one, so I specialized in flat grinds. I still haven't tried hollow grinding a blade yet even with the KMG :D. Soon....

Anyway, the Grizz runs fast as has been said and is direct drive, therefore, it cannot be converted to variable speed without considerable fabrication. The way it's built, the motor is generally in the way for hollow grinding on one side of the blade. Tracking isn't really that good, but it can be made better with a few wraps of electric tape on the tracking wheel. The graphite platen bit the dust early, so I epoxied a ceramic liner to the platen. It takes a gentle touch and lots of practice to grind well on the Grizzly, but I think once you've figured it out, you walk away with pretty good control, especially when you add variable speed into the mix later on. All of the sudden, you combine YOUR hard-won control with the GRINDER's control, and it's just buttah!

I still use my Grizzly on every knife I make in shaping the handles as the platen and slack belt areas are very handy to the way I shape handles. The stock work rest isn't that great, but can be improved upon. And the buffer if VERY handy, though also pretty fast.

If you can do it, go with a NWG or similar, but don't shy away from the Grizzly. It's a good machine, but it does take some getting used to.

--nathan

Buy 10" Grizzly wheel and make one of those. cool 1 Classic two wheel. I made adjustable flat platten and work table.
Step pulley gives me 1400RPM on the wheel for rough grind and 700RPM for finishing . I mount disc sander on the step pulley retaining nut. It is a combo disc/belt grinder. I weld everything together inside the workshop, so noone can steal it. :) Only thing you hafe to do on the wheel is to regrind the wheel rubber with flat file.
DSCF3679.jpg

DSCF3957.jpg

Last edited:
SP, thanks for the info my brother. Up until this morning I was still 50/50 on getting the Grizz.

But I am going to try my hand at building the NWG, or another kit of some sort. The NWG seems to be more my speed, but might luck out and find someone thats selling there already partially assembled kit as someone pointed out2thumbs

Thanks again everyone.

C

I have a KMG style or maybe NWG style grinder but mine is welded togethor. I love it! it is my favorite piece of equipment I have. Al May that has sold a few damascus billets in the For Sale section made it. I don't know if he would make another or not. It came all ready to go with all the wheels I just had to bolt a few pieces togethor. It came with step pulley, a flat platen (which I love his design), Tool Rest, and an 8" contact wheel. I think it was around $850. Then I had to buy the motor. I used the step pulleys for a while then I eventually Bought a variable speed drive to go with a 2 horse 3 phase motor I had on hand. I know it sound a little spendy but compared to a KMG Or Bader I got a screamin deal! With the motor and the VFD I am probly in to mine around $1300 to $1400 where a KMG is $2500 or so and a Bader is $3000 or so. I like my grinder better than the KMG's I have seen.
After looking at this one and some of the others they would be very easy to make especially if you had Tracy's plans and part list. I would like to try and make one just to have another set up. I have also seen a bader style grinder for sale on ebay that is just the frame that looks pretty decent but I have not heard any feed back on it. This guy also has all the wheels for sale seperate. Here is the link. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Grinderkit__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Sorry for being so long winded but I hope some of this helps. Thanks, Shane

Thanks for the info buddy.

A good friend of mine Rudy Joly sent me that link. Looks to be a good grinder. I am torn between that one and the NWG. Right now I am trying to find a good deal on a Bador 2HP, then will decide what grinder to go with. It will be one or the other. Just depends on how lazy I am feeling when buying:D

$850 is a little spendy for me right now...but I know thats a damn good price for a top notch grinder.

I am probably looking to spend about $550-600 tops.....keep in mind I will have to buy all new belts since I have been buying 2x42".

I appreciate your info buddy, lets just see how well I shop around. I will come up with something2thumbs

Thanks again everyone.

C

I have a KMG style or maybe NWG style grinder but mine is welded togethor. I love it! it is my favorite piece of equipment I have. Al May that has sold a few damascus billets in the For Sale section made it. I don't know if he would make another or not. It came all ready to go with all the wheels I just had to bolt a few pieces togethor. It came with step pulley, a flat platen (which I love his design), Tool Rest, and an 8" contact wheel. I think it was around $850. Then I had to buy the motor. I used the step pulleys for a while then I eventually Bought a variable speed drive to go with a 2 horse 3 phase motor I had on hand. I know it sound a little spendy but compared to a KMG Or Bader I got a screamin deal! With the motor and the VFD I am probly in to mine around $1300 to $1400 where a KMG is $2500 or so and a Bader is $3000 or so. I like my grinder better than the KMG's I have seen.
After looking at this one and some of the others they would be very easy to make especially if you had Tracy's plans and part list. I would like to try and make one just to have another set up. I have also seen a bader style grinder for sale on ebay that is just the frame that looks pretty decent but I have not heard any feed back on it. This guy also has all the wheels for sale seperate. Here is the link. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Grinderkit__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Sorry for being so long winded but I hope some of this helps. Thanks, Shane

Back