Rank beginner...

warreng8170

Hi all, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is Warren and I am from the Charlotte area in North Carolina. I was just recently introduced to the idea of knifemaking. I have been making pens on a lathe for the last several years and had the opportunity to make a pen for a friend-of-a-friend who just happens to be the son of the late Frank Centofante. We started talking and within a very short time I was enthralled with the idea making my own knife.

I have been lurking here as well as some other forums just trying to get familiar with the terminology and to see if I can get an idea of the basic process. I already have tons of questions, but have held off asking so far thinking I can try to figure some things out on my own by reading as many posts as I can.

I just started working with another local maker and he has me working on a file-knife. So far, all we have done is annealed the file, hammered the ridges semi-flat and cut the profile. Waiting for our schedules to realign so we can get back together and start the grinding process. In the meantime, I want to get some barstock (right term?) and start working on a stock-removal knife just using hand tools.

Anyway, I really like the tone of this forum and how friendly everyone seems to be here. It reminds me a lot of the penturning forum I participate on. I look forward to learning as much as I possibly can and can't wait until I finish my first knife.

Thanks for having me!

Last edited:
Welcome to the pack. Good luck on your venture into our obsession and don't forget to show us some pics of your project as well as your pens.

Hello Warren, I just moved back to from NH from Concord NC. Have you heard about the knife classes they offer at Montgomery community colledge? They are great. Classes are taught by greats like the Jones Brothers and Ed VanHoy.They are in troy.

Back