relining of forge

Boatbuilder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hosted a mini hammer a couple weekends ago and my forge took a beating. Had trouble getting it up to welding temp so I had to reline it. I decided to make the opening bigger. I went from 5"x5" opening to a 7"x7" opening. I also changed the opening to the back side where my burner goes into the forge.
I have all the high temp motar in now and going to wait a day or so before I coat the sides with ITC-100. I will let that dry completely and will be ready to use shortly after Christmas.
I am also hoping to get my surface grinder converted to a belt over the holidays as well.

Jim

forge mods 2.jpgforg reline 2.jpgforge mods 1.jpgforge reline 1.jpg

Hi Jim,
Thats a nice forge, big too. I like the oval shape. So you have kao wool, high temp mortor and itc 100 coating? Is the mortor over the kao wool or at both ends only. A forge this size means a big project to re-line.

Bruce
I used kao-wool and then I put a coat of high temp mortar over the kaowool. I will then put a coat of ITC-100 over the mortar. This is the first time I have tried it this way. I am hoping the ITC-100 will stick to the mortar. I usually just put coat of ITC-100 on the kao-wool. I am trying to make it more durable. I usually have quite a few different guys using the forge so it takes a beating. I just hope the ITC sticks and it doesn't take forever for the forge to get to welding temp. The mortar I'm using is new stuff that is good for 3000 deg. It comes already mixed up and is real easy to put on. I will take more pics as I just coated it last night.

Jim

My friend and knife maker Bob Jensen have been making him a new vertical and went with koawool and 1" square wire mesh from the hardware store to hold the kaowool in place and keep it from collapsing when painted with the Itc 100. It seems to really help make it rigid and should be more durable if bumped with billets. We havent forged with it yet but it does seem very tough.

Last edited:
The high temp mortar hardens like a brick. This should give my forge lining a much longer life as well.
Merry Christmas
Jim

Back