Researching for a project on Knifemaking

Jim Adams Customs

I have started a list of famous Knifemakers for project I am working on. Feel free to add to the list. I know I have missed a bunch. i like to keep the list to 25 makers.

1. James Black
2. William Scagel
3. Bo Randall
4. Buck?
5. Bob Loveless
6. Buster Warenski
7. Bob Lum
8. Bill Moran
9. Ed Fowler
10. Jimmy Lile
11. Gil Hibben
12. Walker
13. Ken Onion
14. Ron Lake
15. Chris Reeve?
16. Wayne Goddard

Last edited:
"famous" is the only criteria? If you're not more specific than that, it's going to be a popularity contest....

;)

"famous" is the only criteria? If you're not more specific than that, it's going to be a popularity contest....

;)

Ditto

But lets not forget George Herron in this list 2thumbs

He's pretty darn popular huh1 ....... errr famous ......... at least with me ;)

:)

Is there anyone more "Famous" than Jim Bowie? Even kids who know nothing about Knife Makers in General know Jim Bowie. Or is this Contemporary?

Agreed. More Criteria is needed to define exactly what you are asking.

Is there anyone more "Famous" than Jim Bowie? Even kids who know nothing about Knife Makers in General know Jim Bowie. Or is this Contemporary?

I thought that it was James Black the blacksmith that did the knifemaking, and Jim Bowie was famous for the killing and getting killed...

and yes...be more specific on your criteria...famous, or innovative, respected and a lasting influence?????
I would start by finding out the list of "Blade Hall of Famers"

Last edited:
Knifemakers that have influenced Knifemaking

i.e. Micheal Walkers - liner lock, James Black - famous Bowie knife, You get the point.

(James)Jim Black(top of the list) was the maker of the Knife Jim Bowie made famous.

Recently there are a few that have influenced knife making.

Busse kinda made combat tactical a house hold name.

Doc Hagen, Folders are amazing to say the least since the early 70's

Don Fogg has done it all twice.

Here is list of Blade hall of fame.

* Uncle Henry Baer
* Dewey Ferguson
* Bo Randall
* James B. Lile
* M.H. Cole
* Al Buck
* William R. Williamson
* Pete Gerber
* Bob Loveless
* Bill Moran
* Jim Parker
* George Herron
* Frank Buster
* Dr. Frank Forsyth
* A.G. Russell
* Ken Warner
* Jim Bowie
* Maury Shavin
* Hubert Lawell
* William Scagel
* Gil Hibben
* Harry McEvoy
* Buster Warenski
* Albert M. Baer
* Col. Rex Applegate
* B.R. Hughes
* Bruce Voyles
* Bernard Levine
* Houston Price
* Bill Adams
* Jim Weyer
* Chuck Buck
* Blackie Collins
* Frank Centofante
* Ron Lake
* Sal Glesser
* Joe Drouin
* Bob Schrimsher
* Rudy Ruana
* D’Alton Holder
* Michael Walker
* George “Butch” Winter
* Tim Leatherman
* Dan Dennehy

The knife was commissioned by Rezin Bowie, Jim's Brother

I live and grew up not more than 30miles from old Washington where that knife was forged. While normal school kids had field trips to Museums we went to there to see the famous James blacks forge, and by the way there is almost always a Blacksmith there when the park is open. And some say Mr Black made one for Jim, I don't know exactly but that's how it's told around here.

Last edited:
The more research you do the more you will learn that the James Black legend was mostly manufactured. He may have made a knife for Bowie or maybe not, but he did not make the first Bowie or the the one that was used in the sandbar fight that made it famous. James Black was a silver plater who moved from PA to Arkansas sometime AFTER the first bowies were made. The first claim for him having made a bowie knife was published in 1841, 14 years after the sandbar fight. There are no marked Black knives known today.

The original Bowie was made by Jesse Clifft at the Bowie plantation in Marksville, LA in the spring of 1827. This is documented by a recently discovered letter written in 1885 by Rezin Bowie's granddaughter who wrote that her mother witnessed the knife being made by Clifft according to Rezin's instructions. Clifft also signed as a witness on a land transfer document for Bowie at the same time and place.

Others who are known to have made Bowies for Rezin Bowie are Daniel Searles of Baton Rouge LA, Rees Fitzpatrick of MS, and Henry Schively Jr of Philadelphia.

Back