Ribbon burner forge build

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
It's fabrication time in the shop.

We have started on a ribbon burner forge build.
I'll try and post some pics as it gets completed.
We have had the burner put together now for awhile. I will have to see if I can dig up any pic's of that.
IMG_0094.jpg

These are hard high temp bricks. The chamber will be 6" wide x 12" long and 6" tall.
To notch the out a couple bricks for the burner. I made some cuts to depth with the wet saw (a hack will work too) and then used a chisel along a line on both sides splitting out the notch.
IMG_0093.jpg

The ribbon burner will be a top mount so I had to notch a couple bricks. The open side edges on the top will be stuffed with KO wool.
We will use high temp cement in the cracks and wrap it all in metal.
The front and back will have sliding doors.
IMG_0095.jpg

Boss I thought Hard Bricks for a Forge (other than on the floor) were a no-no because they take a lot of heat to get to temp??

Looks good Boss, it'll probably feel good to fire that up soon, it's starting to get cold up in your area now isn't it ?

Tracy have you looked at the attachments on my Forge Supplies page of my web-site? Good info there. It does not appear that you have a gate valve on your air supply for more precise control. A ball valve will not give you the control that you need. I do recommend a ball valve on the fuel line for quick, emergency shut off with a needle valve for precise fuel control. You need to be able to control the air/fuel just like in an oxy/fuel torch,

Boss I thought Hard Bricks for a Forge (other than on the floor) were a no-no because they take a lot of heat to get to temp??

they do take longer to heat up but then hold the heat and temperature fluctuations down also.

Tracy have you looked at the attachments on my Forge Supplies page of my web-site? Good info there. It does not appear that you have a gate valve on your air supply for more precise control. A ball valve will not give you the control that you need. I do recommend a ball valve on the fuel line for quick, emergency shut off with a needle valve for precise fuel control. You need to be able to control the air/fuel just like in an oxy/fuel torch,

I’ll go have a look.
I skipped the gate valve and will use the adjustable vent on the blower. if I need to add it, I will. There should be a needle valve there somewhere for the fuel. We are also using quick connects for the propane.

I have a quick connect on mine. Make sure that you get the ones for fuel, not just the compressed air type. They will leak. You will not get the fine adjustments needed with either a ball valve or the adjustable vent on the blower.

Looking good Tracy! I'd skip the gate valve too. They are clunky to use/operate, and they WILL fail over time. If you find you need more air control then the gate on the blower offers, hook it to a ceiling fan speed controller. It's a lot like a light dimmer switch (which you DO NOT want to use, as it will burn the motor out on the blower).

I would encourage using a propane needle valve....I can't explain how much more precise your control over the fuel will be.

Is that blower from Amazon?? I've been wondering about those....and was just about to the point of ordering one...just to see if it was any good.

Ed, you beat me to it about the blower and speed control rather than gate valve. I think this might be the Amazon blower you're talking about? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NQDNRK/? I've been on the verge of ordering one of those myself. Perhaps with one of these speed controllers? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLOSG7I/

I did order this speed controller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133149422102? for $12 shipped, but do think the $20 item from Amazon is the best deal, I have other uses for the cheap controller.

I received the above item this morning and it doesn't work very well. 80% of adjustment will get only 40 vacs, 90 vac is 95% adjustment, and 120 vac output is only at max. Glad it was cheap, and I can use the fan {g}

Boss, Looking forward to rest of your build.

Last edited:
Hi Boss,this video may or may not be of help,I will say this forge runs flawlessly and out of the 3 forges I have it's my favorite to use.Some of the experts chimed in when I made this video and said that my gas port was overkill but my main purpose for doing the gas port the way I did was to create turbulence and it did and works great. I also added a quick gas shut off after making the video and was the reason that I had gone to the hardware store in the first place.

Back