Ringed Gamblers Bowie

Hey Robin, I trained Copper to follow a trail from one end of the house to the other. I hope lions smell and taste like pepperoni.:biggrin:
Bummer, looking forward to seeing the new blade though. Don't do that Mc Donalds thing, they won't let the shopdawgs in.

Well, that stinks Bruce, but I applaud your commitment to quality. You didn't think it looked right and weren't going to let it go as it were, knowing that this might require remaking the blade. I can sympathize with the pain felt over time lost, but at the end of the day, it is this commitment to quality and attention to detail that makes your work so highly sought after.

Hey thats great Bruce, pups help cheer me up anytime I'm around them. I drag a little peice of bacon and hide it from my tiny pup's. Teaches them to get that nose on the ground when I tell them to "hunt it up"
Tell Copper to eat his veggy's, the snows already 20" deep and it's just started. I did get a good Tom during the storm, proof of the song"people are crazy"
RS

Well, it took me all week but I got the damascus blade almost finished. The hard part was making another blade tang exactly like the last one that fit the guard, spacers and handle. Also it needed to be threaded to fit the pommel and nut. That took me 2 days alone. Give me anther couple days and I should have it ready for a finished shot. Sheesh, some knives are a pain in the arse.

When the greatest hurdles are overcome,
the greater the satisfaction...
This will be one of those knives you'll never forget for the challenge it presented you.

Yeah, like "What doesnt kill ya will just make ya stronger" right?
When the greatest hurdles are overcome,
the greater the satisfaction...
This will be one of those knives you'll never forget for the challenge it presented you.

:biggrin:
I have a mantra:
"every Day Above Ground Is A Good Day"...
(waking up 6 feet under and smelling pine finds you with limited options:3:)

Here is the new blade for this knife. I decided to make it a Texas Wind pattern on a basic "W" billet. These dies are from Als Riverside Machine and make a cool pattern. The trick is to be sure to have the bar the correct thickness before imprinting the pattern or else there wont be enough layers displaced in the center of the blade. This one was that way and the edge didnt look quite right as it had just plain layers so I lattered the edge and went back in the forge and flattened the edge back down. Now it has a distinct look with a nice even pattern throughout. I like it now.

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

037-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

039.jpg

043-1.jpg

044.jpg

045-1.jpg

I have the blade finished now but somehow am missing a couple pictures. They arent that exciting anyway, mostly fussing around duplicating the tangs so the new blade will fit the guard, spacers, wood handle and pommel. What a pain,...maybe I didnt get pictures of all that. I've learned my lessen. "Dont heat treat the blade after the knife is finished" Sheesh.

If its a good day for a picture I'll try to get a finished shot and post it here. Thanks guys for hanging in with this thread.

...that bar of steel was so excited as you were passing it through the dies,
it had bruce-bumps!
(and so do we!):biggrin:

Here is some finished photos of this one. I think it will be available on Bladegallery.com soon. I love this little fighter now that its finished.

001-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

Wow, this is exactly why I am on KnifeDogs, to get to see beautiful work like this. I'm in awe!

...I just had a multiple eyegasm...anyone gotta tissue?

I need to learn a new language,
'cause I've used up all the English I know to describe superlative beauty...
(oh,and about that adoption thing:
I don't eat much,I run a mean broom,and will wear a bib in the shop
to keep the drool off things)
:biggrin:

Absolutely brilliant work there Bruce. All of the detail is well-balanced with an awesome "flow". Is your ring design based on anything in particular? It seems, to my eye, quite original in how the ring splits and flows back into the handle. And that Koa is awesome. I'd say you hit this one out of the ballpark. :thumbup:

I appreciate you sharing your setbacks as well. Glad to know that you're human. ;)

Erin

Last edited:
Back