Second Folder- a slipjoint "Lemony Snicket"

Sticks

I was going to name this knife "Lemony Snicket" for the sub-title "A Series of Unfortunate Events" because it seemed like everything that could have gone wrong did. Three sets of liners, "soldered" bolsters falling off, etc. But I stuck with it and, learned some lessons.

The blade is 3" long, hollow ground 1/8" 154 CPM, as is the spring. The liners are mill relieved 304 SS. The bolsters (soldered) and "shield" (peened on to the liner) are 303 SS. The shield may be a little much, but I didn't have a smaller stencil and what the hay, its my knife. The scales are black canvas micarta. I guess you'd call this a no pattern knife because I scribed the blade design on the precision ground steel after I drilled the pivot hole, without a pattern.

Jay

1 Profile.jpg2 Closed.jpg3 Half stop1.jpg4 Half stop 2.jpg5 closed top.jpg6 In hand.jpg

As you are learning,slipjoints can drive you crazy. For me it was a short drive.:lol:

Last edited:
Frank, thank you! Calvin, I hear ya! Calvin, you may not rember but some time ago I posted a question about whether a swedge should be ground before or after heat traet. You responded and I followed your advice. Thank you, and all the others who post tutorials and advice on slipjoints. Now, on to the next one which I hope resembles a Lanny's Clip.

Jay

Thanks Phil. Yes I am hooked. Not to demean the fixed blade folks as I have a lot to learn to make a proper one but to me making a folder is creating an animate object, a simple small machine. That's what's awesome. I don't think I'll ever make one that I'm satisfied with but I guess that's why we play this sport.

I posted the beginning of a WIP on this knife in that sub forum. I hope you guys that make these knives post comments, especially critiques and recommendations.

The knife has a nice look to it, good job. I am not big on using shields and on this knife I would not have used one. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Dan

Dan,
Thank you and I appreciate your thoughts on the shield. I probably wouldn't have used one but I didn't have a small enough stencil to mark the blade and I had never done a shield before so I thought it would be fun to try. I don't think I'll use canvas micarta again. In fact I thought this was linen micarta when I bought it at a knife show.
Jay

I have found that if you can tolerate the smell, bone is faily eay to work, can be dyed with and produces good looking knive handles. I have gone to Mills fleet Farm to get dog bones, try to find bones that have a flat area. My 2 cents worth. Dan

Ha! Funny you mention dog bones. I went to the local pet store and bought a bleached cow bone a while back. But I know what you mean about the smell. Reminds me when I was in school working at the cemetery and the crematorium was at work. I really like the look of the knives you've posted. I remember one is camel bone. Did you like working with that? How do you dye cow bone?

Jay

Jay
Thanks for the link to this on my Thread.
She is a stunner m8.
Wish my next one will come out half as good as yours.
Thx
Brian

Back