Shop Music Thread- what are you listening to today?

Yeah...good song. There's a YouTube video of him performing that at the grand ole Opry and towards the end he breaks into a solo and its epic.

I don't know how someone can even move their fingers that fast, let alone to cleanly and accurately play something that sounds good and making no mistakes. Unreal.

That’s a good one. His convert with Tommy Emmanuel is as amazing as anyone would expect, too.

Molly Tuttle is another great picker. I have to take them both in little doses, though. Like prog rock or new metal, a little goes a long way for me. After a bit my ears need a rest.

Yeah, Molly Tuttle is another very good flat picker.

I could listen to that stuff all day. But I get what you're saying. My wife can only take a small dose of bluegrass at a time.

Yeah, Molly Tuttle is another very good flat picker.

I could listen to that stuff all day. But I get what you're saying. My wife can only take a small dose of bluegrass at a time.

I think it’s about notes per minute LOL. Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle, Yngwie Malmsteem- they’re only ever in 5th gear overdrive. It’s like taking a sonic beating after a while. I need some calm melody in my life.

Talk about amazing pickers- I can listen to Doc Watson or Vince Gill all day.

Another great band in the bluegrass-y vein (but more country folk) are The Avett Brothers. They can get a little emo at times but it’s great stuff. There’s a pretty healthy folk/bluegrass scene out there that I’m beginning to warm to.

The guys I’ll never get tired of are Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash (and mainly his later American Recordings run of albums), Dwight Yoakam, Vince Gill, Chris Stapleton, Randy Travis... the singer songwriters and crooners who had something to say.

Oh man, and another guy I didn’t give enough credit to back in the day was Hal Ketchum. He recently passed and I was listening to his live stuff and thinking “man- why didn’t I pay more attention to this guy?”

He didn’t write this, it’s a famous Irish hit that he covered. But this live version is amazing. It hits a lot harder than the slightly faster, made for radio version he had a hit with. This is definitely worth a listen.

I think it’s about notes per minute LOL. Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle, Yngwie Malmsteem- they’re only ever in 5th gear overdrive. It’s like taking a sonic beating after a while. I need some calm melody in my life.

Talk about amazing pickers- I can listen to Doc Watson or Vince Gill all day.

Another great band in the bluegrass-y vein (but more country folk) are The Avett Brothers. They can get a little emo at times but it’s great stuff. There’s a pretty healthy folk/bluegrass scene out there that I’m beginning to warm to.

The guys I’ll never get tired of are Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash (and mainly his later American Recordings run of albums), Dwight Yoakam, Vince Gill, Chris Stapleton, Randy Travis... the singer songwriters and crooners who had something to say.

Doc watson was a huge influence to Billy strings and billy covers a lot of doc's stuff and does it fantastic justice.

I think that's why I like norman blake so well. You can hear a lot of variety at various tempo but all with incredible accuracy and a clean smoothness....but still in a defined recognizable style that's only norman Blake's.

Youse guys might hafta throttle this a bit. I'm YouTube rabbit holing every evening after I bounce through the thread. Hitting some new stuff and a bunch of old stuff that's got me sitting on the end rows in a '75 F250 waiting to top off the planter boxes.

I listened to a good twenty years of rap, starting as a teenager up to early 30's. The hard core stuff...Eminem, Dre, Snoop Dogg. Now I know why I was always filled with anger! Thank God my wife, and Jesus, got me off of that C-rap!
I spent the next decade solely listening to contemporary Christian. But recently I kind of got bored listening to the same handful of songs. Now I have to be in a worshipping mood.
About a year ago, I started working at TSC, so my days are now filled with their country, some of which is ok. But on the way to work, it's Bob and Tom, and I'm jamming to classic rock on the way home! I like just about anything GNR, but especially Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child of Mine...love Hotel California, Money for Nothin, Enter Sandman.

I listened to a good twenty years of rap, starting as a teenager up to early 30's. The hard core stuff...Eminem, Dre, Snoop Dogg. Now I know why I was always filled with anger! Thank God my wife, and Jesus, got me off of that C-rap!
I spent the next decade solely listening to contemporary Christian. But recently I kind of got bored listening to the same handful of songs. Now I have to be in a worshipping mood.
About a year ago, I started working at TSC, so my days are now filled with their country, some of which is ok. But on the way to work, it's Bob and Tom, and I'm jamming to classic rock on the way home! I like just about anything GNR, but especially Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child of Mine...love Hotel California, Money for Nothin, Enter Sandman.
I grew up in the guns and roses and ac/dc era. I like older classic rock too. Styx, journey, Kansas, rush...etc

I go through phases with artists but the two that are on all the time in the shop are Colter Wall and Cody Jinks. My kinda country. Hard to find anymore and I’m glad these guys are keeping it alive.

I was listening to Alison Krauss and union station today. She has what I call a hauntingly beautiful voice and has surrounded herself with amazing musicians.

Dan Tyminski and Ron Block are extremely talented musicians in their own right.

I was listening to Alison Krauss and union station today. She has what I call a hauntingly beautiful voice and has surrounded herself with amazing musicians.

Dan Tyminski and Ron Block are extremely talented musicians in their own right.

Dan’s cover of Man of Constant Sorrow is one of my favorites. True to the spirit of the original but still his own.

Meqedem - check out psalm 23

Kirk Whalum "The Gospel According to Jazz" - Running away

For audio books we're listening to Clive Staple Lewis' "Mere Christianity." and some of G.A. Hently's work. I strongly recommend Mere Christianity. It covers a lot of ground on basic Christian living and for me is easier to listen to than to read. A real answer to prayer for me needing wisdom (James 1:5). The narrator is hard to follow on G.A. Henlty's work but informative on history.

Back