Smelting some ore

ZebDeming

I just updated my website with a bit of my journey into smelting ( http://clevercrowforge.weebly.com/steel-making.html ) I've only been smelting for a little while and I'm pretty hooked on doing it. I'm planing on doing a couple more smelts before the snow flies around here. There's nothing really planed, but when I get ready, I'll post something here if anyone nearby wants to drop in, and watch me work to get some metal :) Here's a pic of the bloom I got last weekend, it's 20 lb 8 ounces, bigger than I expected, and I'm expecting to loose a bit of weight in the processing

IMAG0331.jpg

Any questions, comments or critique are welcomed.

Zeb

Very cool. Have you tested for carbon content at all?

Thanks Tracy. From spark testing the outside the carbon varies a bit, but most of it sparks like mid carbon. The inside can be quite a bit different, so it's probably best to spark test after a few folds are in. I know a few folks who work in the local foundry and in talking with one of the engineers there, he said that he'd be more than happy to chemically test a piece of it after I get it all solid. It'll be interesting to see what else is in the steel.

Zeb

Zeb
Very intresting process!
I have been wanting to try this.

Ive heard you can use "Black Beauty" sand blasting media for the iron ore. Ever hear of this?

Also have you heard of heating the bloom then quenching then shattering it to segregat the low from high carbon?

Thanks for sharing!!

God Bless
Mike

Mike, I've never heard of using black beauty, from what I understand it's the slag from a blast furnace, so unless it's magnetic, I doubt it will work. As far as breaking the bloom by quenching it, I had wondered the same thing, and have it on pretty good authority, that it probably won't help much. I'm hoping tonight to get this in a good charcoal fire and get it compacted and split up.

Zeb

I will smelt some steel some time when I have time. I was at a hammer in at Mike Blues and the Minnesota Metalsmith guild guys was running a smelt out back. They ended up a few small blooms but I never got a chance to see it worked. The idea of making a knife from raw ore is really appealing.

Tracy, I really like the idea of making a knife from ore as well, I'm probably going about getting started making knives backwards from the way it's supposed to be, but I kinda like starting out making my own metal first. I'd be making better knives by now if I had dedicated as much time to finishing knives than to making metal, but I have alot of fun doing it.

I'm starting to process some of the bloom from this smelt. Alot of the botttom portion of the bloom was pretty much just fluffy slag interwoven with strands and foils of metal. Those parts were broken off and will be resmelted. The more I got to the top of the bloom, the more solid the metal was. This I put back into a side draft charcoal forge to heat up and split up as best I could. I pulled the bloom, placed in up on a stump and went after it with an axe and a 4.5 lb hammer, I wish I had a striker or two when it comes to this, as it's a ton of work by your self. Here's a long boring video of me splitting up the bloom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmt4wZwHFs

Last night I took some of the more solid pieces that fell off the bloom and used Ole Evenstad's method of processing, which basicly involves remelting of the bloom in a hearth. I skipped the first step in which he describes placing the tuyere 1" from the floor to melt alot of the slag out of the bloom and make iron, and instead started with the second step using higher placement of the tuyere. Really for no other reason as I'm running low on charcoal and I'm aiming for steel not iron. Here's the simple forge hearth that I used

IMAG0341.jpg

I kept the small chunks in the heart of the heat, when they'd fall a bit as the charcoal burned, I picked them up with tongs to keep them hot, when they were hot enough I'd place them closer to the tuyere and pile charcoal up around them. They would melt and fall to the hearth. Here's the forge running, you can see I'm blowing pretty hard to get things good and hot.

IMAG0342.jpg

I charged about 750 grams of raw bloom and once extracted and all the outer slag was knocked off I had about 430 grams, so I lost quite a bit, but I believe that it was mostly slag losses.
Here's the puck up on the stump after pulling, kinda a fuzzy pic, but I was doing this late at night.

IMAG0344.jpg

The nice part about this process is that you can remelt the smaller bits of metal that have fallen from the bloom and get a nice workable puck of steel that's easly placed in a propane forge. Here is a pic of the puck next to a knife that I'm working on made from my steel from the last smelt. That smelt produced a low carbon iron, so I mixed it with it's own weight of W1 and brought it to about 20 layers, turned it on it's side and forged it out.

IMAG0345.jpg

I'm gonna have a go at trying to forge out the puck in a few days, It seems pretty solid, but one never can tell with bloom steel until it's under the hammer, or press :)

I'll keep this updated as I go, I'm gonna save all the little bits that fall off to run through the hearth process again, and hopefully I can save as much of this as I can. The rest of the bits that are magnetic, will be run through on another smelt. Hopefully before October, once I set a date for the smelt, I'll post it, if anyone wants to come over and watch. I'm definatly hooked on this stuff now.

Zeb

Really interesting to follow. Please keep us posted as you move through this.
Thanks for posting it.

Hey, Zeb. Just a question. How would I know if I'm close enough to you to arrange to drop by when you're doing a smelt if I have no idea where you're located? I've checked your profile and your web site and came up with narry a clue. I take it that you do live in the States or am I making too much of an assumption?

Doug

If you were in Nova Scotia (somehow I doubt it) I know where you could get a striker :). Very cool process, the very heart of making a knife

Doug, sometimes I can be quite the idiot, duhh :) I'm up in the Thumb of Michigan. Thanks for the question :)
Thanks Brad, Nova Scotia is a bit far from me :)

Zeb

I've been slowly working on processing the bloom and after a few folds it was sparking like low carbon steel, but it was solid. I decided to mix in some very high carbon hearth steel from an Aristotle furnace ( http://www.leesauder.com/pdfs/Aristotle's Steel.pdf ) I usually make the furnaces from stacked firebrick and a bit bigger than described, but they work well. This bit of hearth steel started as 1/4" 1018 rod and ended as really high carbon steel, but I could forge it and I worked it a couple of folds before cutting and stacking alternating layers of the hearth steel and bloom iron. I know that it may be upsetting to some to see bloom iron mixed with a "comercial" steel, but in my defense, it was "made" in a furnace in my backyard, and I've still got lots of good bloom to work with, I just wanted to use the very high carbon hearth steel as well.

I'm still getting used to my new blown propane burner, but holy cow does it heat soooo much hotter than the aspirated burner. I worked the billet to 10 layers tonight before I ran out of propane. It's now about 19" long 1.8" wide and .36 thick and 1443 grams in weight. I'm going to cut and stack it a couple more times and then decide what I want to make from it.

Here's a boring pic of the bar that's been worked up so far.

IMAG0357.jpg

Still not sure what to make from it, hopefully I can do my part to do the steel justice.

Thanks for watching
Zeb

Zeb
Thanks for including us all in your adventure! Looking forward to seeing it progress, Very intresting stuff your doing there!

God Bless
Mike

I'm planing on doing another smelt the first weekend of October on Sunday the 7th. If anyone is around the thumb of Michigan (little town of Elkton) and wants to stop over and watch You're more than welcome to come over. I'll most likely start the preheat of the stack early in the morning and start charging charcoal about 9am "ish". I've got some good ore for this smelt and hopefully will be pulling a decent sized bloom and processing it right away, I'm planing on running some of the bloom through an evenstad hearth as soon as I get it compacted and split up, but I'll see how worn out I am after the smelting first. Just get ahold of me via PM here on the site.

Thanks
Zeb

Nice work Zeb , We are lucky to live in the iron belt , I have used a lot of iron oxide ( red Hematite) and a little magnetite to make blades , once you do it a few times , you get hooked . Nothing like making your own steel . Anxious to see what you make from the billet..

Good luck .... Bubba

Thanks Bubba, I ran my third smelt today, and it's definatly under my skin, I'm horrible at making blades, but I'm gonna try :)
Everything today went pretty well, other than a blower issue, I made some metal from rocks. I think if I didn't have the blower issue and run down the stack a bit more before extraction, I may have had a bigger bloom. I still haven't weighed it yet, but here's a pic of the split bloom and some bits up on the stump.
IMAG0374.jpg

And here is the stack burning

IMAG0373.jpg

I was down at Randy Haas' place yesterday and got to use his nice press to squish the last bloom down so I can fit it in my forge, so I've got a decent paddle to weld the bloom chunks to while processing it, Thanks again Randy for having me!! Kevin Cashen came up today to watch me smelt and having someone hold the axe to help split the bloom was a god send, as well as great conversation, it's nice to be able to bounce ideas off of other folks that have done it before Thanks Kevin.
I'll keep this updated as I work through processing it, I've got bloom from 3 different smelts now and hope to be able to make something from it, time will tell, hopefully I can do my part to do the metal justice

Zeb

Zeb, Great seeing you again. Your welcome to drop by any time. Well... please call first, but then your welcome any time. lol :) We had a great weekend, It was cool having everyone here and we really enjoyed meeting some new knife Knuts! As well visiting with old friends! :)

It looks like your doing some cool stuff in Elkton. Next time you do a smelt give us a cal and maybe Jr. and I can shoot over.

Thanks for sharing the images and info!
Randy

You guys are lucky to have a lot of makers in your area . I live so far out of way , dont get too much company . Hope your steel turns out like you want . The closest maker around here is about 100 miles except, for a maker in Steelville who makes a lot of bowies with antlered handles, but hes a crabby old dude . Might have to pay you guys a visit sometime ,just so I dont forget what people look like............

Back