SOS- Sodbuster On Steroids

rcknives

My latest folder which I call SOS which is short for sodbuster on steroids. This folder is made from O-1 tool steel and stainless liners. The handle is from caribou antler. There is filework on the liners which i didn't get a shot of yet but I will when I get it together tomorrow. I acid etched the blade to help keep the surface rust down a bit which is hollow ground just to change it up some.Didn't acid etch the spine but after thinking about it for a while I will in the morning just to give it some contrast with the stainless liners and filework.Let me know what you guys think.

SOS FOLDER 2-2.jpg

Sodbuster is one of my favored knives. Good looking blade and I really like the caribou scales.

Erik

Sos folder completed

Put it together this morning after acid etching the spine of the spring.
Blade and spring are O-1
Bolsters, liners and pins are stainless
Closed= 4 5/8"
Open= 8 1/4"
Handle= Caribou Antler

SOS FOLDER 3.jpg SOS FOLDER 2.jpg SOS FOLDER 1.jpg SOS FOLDER 4.jpg

Beautiful, Robert! I love the way that etched blade looks with the color of the antler and satin finish bolsters. It gives it a classic, antique look. An all-around excellent piece.

Robert, where are you in South Texas? I'm in Brownsville. Can you come over and visit? Making folders is what I did for years. I still have some of mine.

Your work is beautiful.

Robert, where are you in South Texas? I'm in Brownsville. Can you come over and visit? Making folders is what I did for years. I still have some of mine.

Your work is beautiful.

Don,

I'm in Alice which is about 45 miles West of Corpus Christi. My wife and I have been wanting to go down to Brownsville (she has family there) but I am just so busy with work and making knives that I haven't had a chance to really do much. To be honest Don I have one of your videos on making a liner lock that I watched a while back. I did so much research before attempting to build my first knife that I honestly didn't see myself making any but once i did I got bit by the bug and haven't stopped since. Learning something new every time I build one and studying every problem that comes up before proceeding to the next step is what keeps me interested and hooked. My waste bucket hasn't acquired any extra trashed blades lately so I think that's a good thing.

That invitation also applies to any knifemaker close enough to visit.

:44::s11798::s11779::s11041::s12205:

Last edited:
Nice job, good combinations of components made a great looking knife. I think most anyone would be proud to have it in their pocket. Dan

Beautiful knife Robert - every aspect just works together and compliments the others - I think you can be really proud of how that one came out.

That invitation also applies to any knifemaker close enough to visit.
Mr Robinson, you have no idea how I wish I was close enough to visit :D Like a lot of other people I have one of your books in my little knife book library and I think it is a very kind invitation on your part - I am sure any of the guys close enough will make use of it :) Just wish I could!

Back