Stainlessteel for choopers

seved

I have trouble to find a ss for choopers and i would like some advices on what steel to use. I have a 3,5 mm thick steel. But i would like a 1/4 or something. Is there any one know wich steel and were i can buy it. I would like if its not so expensive.

Seved

Have you considered something like D2. I has 12% chromium and my references have it as having good toughness and wear resistance. However, I have no idea what it may be called in Europe. The composition that I have listed is 1.5% carbon, 12% chromium, 1% molybdenum, and 1% vanadium. Like the stainless steels it can to be forged at high temperatures, if that's a issue, even though it is red hard. Also like the stainless steels, it is air quenching. My source recommends austinizing at between 1800-1875 degrees F. and tempering at 400 to 1000 degrees F. for a HRC of 61-54.

Doug Lester

Yes i thought of D2. But i am a bit concerned about the high carbon. Uddeholm makes it. It is called sverker 1 i think. Maybe its a bit brittle. Yes the crom is pretty high so it must be rustresistent.

Seved

S35VN is similar to S30V but with 3 % V and 5 % Cb... that is if I recall correctly... Any way it is made by Crucible (now named SB Specialty Metals)

Information on Sandvik 12C27 is provided in the link below. 12C27 is a stainless with good toughness which may work out for your purposes but just don't ask me about edge holding or tempering as I have no hands on experience with it. Good luck.

http://www.smt.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/internet/s001664.nsf/0/204D50A76D94955CC125743900563666

Last edited:
I have thought about 440A to. What is it that gave it so bad reputation.

Seved
I feel like the inferior 440A and B used on all the cheap import knives is what has given 440C a bad reputation.

D2 would be a good choice for a chopper if your wanting a stainless. It's not considered a stainless but it's close. A good friend of mine does land clearing and make the knives for his big grinders because the factory ones are around 2500 bucks a set. He's tried knives made from several different tool steels with different heat treatment and the D2 blades are running with the best of them.

The Carpenter CTS-XHP may be a good choice but the jury is still out on it. It's basically a 440C and D2 in the powdered metal. I've really got my hopes up for this stuff but have not had the time to work and test it yet. Some other have had great results from what I've heard.

CPM 3V is also a good choice it has very high impact resistance. 3V has 3 1/2 times the impact resistance of D2 and twice the wear resistance. It does need to be professionally heat treated IMO.
-John

S35VN is similar to S30V but with 3 % V and 5 % Cb... that is if I recall correctly... Any way it is made by Crucible (now named SB Specialty Metals)

Information on Sandvik 12C27 is provided in the link below. 12C27 is a stainless with good toughness which may work out for your purposes but just don't ask me about edge holding or tempering as I have no hands on experience with it. Good luck.

http://www.smt.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/internet/s001664.nsf/0/204D50A76D94955CC125743900563666

Yes that looks realy good. But i was thinking of a little cheaper steel.

Yes i was going to use 5 mm 12c27 but they stoped cut it in smaller sheats :(

Seved

I feel like the inferior 440A and B used on all the cheap import knives is what has given 440C a bad reputation.

D2 would be a good choice for a chopper if your wanting a stainless. It's not considered a stainless but it's close. A good friend of mine does land clearing and make the knives for his big grinders because the factory ones are around 2500 bucks a set. He's tried knives made from several different tool steels with different heat treatment and the D2 blades are running with the best of them.

The Carpenter CTS-XHP may be a good choice but the jury is still out on it. It's basically a 440C and D2 in the powdered metal. I've really got my hopes up for this stuff but have not had the time to work and test it yet. Some other have had great results from what I've heard.

To me 440A looks like a good steel for a chooper. Maybe it not holds the edge so good as 440C but i cant see anything else. Or am i wrong there:)

Maybe i should buy a piece and test D2.:D

Seved

CPM 3V is also a good choice it has very high impact resistance. 3V has 3 1/2 times the impact resistance of D2 and twice the wear resistance. It does need to be professionally heat treated IMO.
-John

Yes i agree its a good steel for it. Wasnt it problems with it in the begining. But i think they have fix it now.

Seved

Back