Started Stabilizing

Diamond G Knives

Well got all the pieces and parts I need gathered up and started my stabilizing project.

Used 2 mixtures

1.) Acraloid B72 (2 cups) Minnwax Wood Hardner (2 cups) Acetone (1 cup) Danish oil (1 cup)

2.) Acraloid B72 (2 cups) Minnwx Wood Hardner (2 cups) Acetone (1 cup)

3.) Minnwax Wood Hardner (2 cups) Danish Oil (2 cups)

These were all pulled under 25 Hg vacume ( I know this isnt correct, but what my guage said) 5 time each allowing to boil off thus losing vaccume.

On the sixth and final time, vaccume was pulled to 25Hg again then sealed at this level to stand over night.

In each container were 1 piece of Lace She Oak, 1 Piece Girraffe bone, 1 set (2 pieces) moose antler scales.

Will remove them tomarrow and allow to drain, then bake.

Will post the results.

Hope its working!

Ive red somewhere that Thompsons Brick Sealer was used. Anyone tried this yet?

God Bless
Mike

are you going to put them under pressure also?
most of the pro's vacuum and then follow up with pressure.

I leave it in th soup, until it sinks. It may take a week or so. Upon taking it out, I'll put it into a toaster oven at 150 for 2 hours to cure it.

Tracey:
On this batch, no pressure. Im looking for a paint pot to try that with. I cant believe it could do anything other than help the process. Question, in a large container, say a pressure cooker, does the volume effect the PSI? EG: will 10 PSI in a 1/2 liter container take less air than a 1 Liter container?

George:
This stuff sunk on the 3rd release/re vacuum cycle. Or at least the she oak did. The antler and bone sunk immediately.

WORD OF WARNING!!!!

When pulling a vacuum on this kind of chemical concoction, large amounts of acetone based vapors are released into your breathing space. Due to the cold weather hear, Im all closed up and had the heater running (propane open flame) NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! I shut it down before it was an issue, but a pilot light could easily blow up your shop if this vapor builds up. A little fresh air goes a long way here.

Ill pull it out of the soup tonight and see whats happened.

God Bless
Mike

Do you have pics of the process? This is another project I started a while ago but haven't finished. The tiny little hardware store always kinda cringes when I come in. They never have the parts I need and act as if I try to stump them. After locating 1 more brass fitting I should be able to get it running.

Couple of questions:
How long are you pulling the vac each time?
How long do most guys pull the vac?
Is the cost of your solutions less than the cost of nelsonite from Darren Ellis?
IG says he leaves his in for a week, is that under vac the whole time?
Do you have to go back daily and pull vac just to be safe?
Anyone know where I can get a low cost vac/pressure guage?
Sorry, more than a couple Q's.

Pat

Pat Ill try to answer your questions.

1.) I pull a vacum for about 15 minutes each time. One thing Ive noticed is when pulling between 18 and 22 Hg on my guage, there is much less bubbling than at 25Hg and it doesn't stop until it drops down to 22Hg. Im guessing that at above 22Hg you are lowering the boiling point of the solvents and boiling it off. Ill pull the vacum for 15 min or so and let sit. Then pull the vacum 4 more times. holding each for 15 min or so.

2.) The cost of the solution is as follows 1 Gal Acetone $16, 1 can minwax wood hardener $11, 1KG Acraloid B 72 $38, Danish Oil $9 = $74

3.) I belive IG has his under vac the whole time

4.) After the 5th time it seems to hold a vacum fairly stable haven't seen much change on the gauge.

5.) I cant help on the gauge as my rig came with one on it. Might check ebay

NOTE: I really cannot see where the danish oil added anything to the mix, it is much slower to cure than the others. My let it sit in the sun as UV rays help Danish oil cure. Got some Thompson brick sealer will try it next.

Back