Stick tang shoulder/guard?

bmills

I know that the tang should be radiused at the shoulder junction to prevent stress risers from the heat treat process, but, does the guard have to have that same radius in slot to match the shoulder radius?

I hope I'm making myself clear.

Thanks.

Bill

No Bill. It doesn't have to have a radius. The blade doesn't need much of one really. Just maybe a tiny bit. I cut my shoulders after heat treating.

John is right on the money. The amount of radius needed to prevent any stress risers is extremely small. If you use the end of a a round needle file, and just break the sharp edge, right at each corner where the tang joins the blade....thats all you need.

I think one of the best tools ever invented is a carbide "file guide". I just get the shoulders "close" before heat treat, then after heat treat, using that carbide file guide, a couple of quick "zips" on the grinder and things are done.

John is right on the money. The amount of radius needed to prevent any stress risers is extremely small. If you use the end of a a round needle file, and just break the sharp edge, right at each corner where the tang joins the blade....thats all you need.

I think one of the best tools ever invented is a carbide "file guide". I just get the shoulders "close" before heat treat, then after heat treat, using that carbide file guide, a couple of quick "zips" on the grinder and things are done.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ed, it didn't occur to me to use a carbide faced file guide after heat treat. At present, I do have a hardend tool steel guide but not one with carbide faces. Must put it on the wish list! I believe Mr. Bruce Bump sold these at one time and wonder if he still does, or, if there are any other sources that can be recommended?

Bill

I bought one not that long ago from Bruce Bump. Quality is on par with the rest of his stuff. Almost too nice to use!:biggrin:

Last edited:
I actually have three different carbide file guides..... one from Bruce, one from Steve Kelly, and one I made myself...... mine is embarrassing compred to the other two! :)

Thanks gents for the file guide talk. Ed thanks!
I do still make the file guides but try to make knives too. I,ve spent over 3 months on this one dagger so a few file guides is a pleasant change of pace.

Thanks gents for the file guide talk. Ed thanks!
I do still make the file guides but try to make knives too. I,ve spent over 3 months on this one dagger so a few file guides is a pleasant change of pace.

Bruce,

E-mail coming your way.

Bill

Back