Stupid ADD!!!

Nailed it.
I know I'm replying a little late to this thread , but I have a question. If one takes a lump of clay , squeezing it like you would a knife, then cut it (lengthwise) down the center, it does not appear to be symmetric. So, why wouldn't one wish to emulate that shape as much as possible?
Therefore the formula would have to be changed to : LHS is not = RHS.
Am I correct in this assessment ?

I know I'm replying a little late to this thread , but I have a question. If one takes a lump of clay , squeezing it like you would a knife, then cut it (lengthwise) down the center, it does not appear to be symmetric. So, why wouldn't one wish to emulate that shape as much as possible?
Therefore the formula would have to be changed to : LHS is not = RHS.
Am I correct in this assessment ?

In short: no....you are not correct in your assessment.

In more detail: there are certain handle types, specifically on kitchen knives, that are used ALL DAY LONG every day that are intentionally shaped asymmetrical to, in theory, fit the hand better and reduce fatigue. Those handles are usually very obvious and extremely well done. If they're not, they look like crap.

Now generally speaking, the human eye and mind want and look for symmetry, evenness and balance. And the human hand is VERY versatile and adaptable so symmetry and balance trumps ultimate ideal shape.

To prove my point, there is no shortage of handmade knives that have handles that look exactly like the maker squeezed a lump of clay and modeled their handle after that.

All other things being equal, lay another knife with an even symmetrical handle beside it on a for-sale table and see which one sells first....100 times out of 100....guaranteed.

A true craftsmen can often break the general rules because the end product is purposeful and intentional and VERY well executed.

But that's not the same thing as a maker trying to justify poor craftsmanship by saying the human hand isn't perfectly symmetrical.

In short: no....you are not correct in your assessment.

In more detail: there are certain handle types, specifically on kitchen knives, that are used ALL DAY LONG every day that are intentionally shaped asymmetrical to, in theory, fit the hand better and reduce fatigue. Those handles are usually very obvious and extremely well done. If they're not, they look like crap.

Now generally speaking, the human eye and mind want and look for symmetry, evenness and balance. And the human hand is VERY versatile and adaptable so symmetry and balance trumps ultimate ideal shape.

To prove my point, there is no shortage of handmade knives that have handles that look exactly like the maker squeezed a lump of clay and modeled their handle after that.

All other things being equal, lay another knife with an even symmetrical handle beside it on a for-sale table and see which one sells first....100 times out of 100....guaranteed.

A true craftsmen can often break the general rules because the end product is purposeful and intentional and VERY well executed.

But that's not the same thing as a maker trying to justify poor craftsmanship by saying the human hand isn't perfectly symmetrical.
Ok, John, I understand your point. As a beginner, I just need some help in understanding the nuances (as well as the broad strokes) so that I can grow better on every knife that I make. I value your input and opinions as well as your experience. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Bruce

Also bear in mind- when you use a knife you almost never hold it like a hammer unless it’s a camp chopper or a fighting knife.

A knife handle needs to be both comfortable and secure in the hand from many angles with multiple grips. Even a fighting knife has to work both forward and reversed.

Ever get you sheath all stitched up and stained and while you're admiring how well it holds the knife you suddenly realize that you forgot to make the belt loop? (Don't ask:oops:)

Doug
no...but I've made a lefty when I thought I was making a righty...twice.(not in a row)

Back