The Great Bruce Bump File Guide Give Away Contest!

One More...

Some great names here, especially the “Guide for Frequent Filers”.
But, as I see it, we’re looking for the right collective noun for a group of Bruce's beauties - something new.

I propose that they be called a Boogie:

As in a Boogie of Belt Bouncin’ Bumpers

We’ve even got the theme song cued up and ready to go.

:1971_dancing_dog::clap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxd9HDQahs

Roger T

A Bevy of Bumps.
A Gaggle of Guides.
:biggrin:

" Gaggle of Guides" This is my choice!!! I like it!!!
AKEY you're the winner of the custom made Rhino Utility Paring Knife. Congrats!!

Thanks everybody for participating and giving me several days of joy with your catchy slogans. I,m reserving the right to use a couple of em like "Bevy of Guides" and "Bump and Grind" in some of my advertisements.
You dogs have some good imaginations.

Some great names here, especially the “Guide for Frequent Filers”.
But, as I see it, we’re looking for the right collective noun for a group of Bruce's beauties - something new.

I propose that they be called a Boogie:

As in a Boogie of Belt Bouncin’ Bumpers

We’ve even got the theme song cued up and ready to go.

:1971_dancing_dog::clap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxd9HDQahs

Roger T

Roger that's the perfect theme song for the Bump Guides! The baritone saxophone player looks like a knife maker to me. :)

Wow. I am blown away. I have lurked on this forum for a while and just recently started posting. I can't believe this! Thanks, Bruce, for picking my entry and thank you Laurence for giving me the chance to win one of your knives!!!!

Wow. I am blown away. I have lurked on this forum for a while and just recently started posting. I can't believe this! Thanks, Bruce, for picking my entry and thank you Laurence for giving me the chance to win one of your knives!!!!

It's a catchy phrase and easy to say. Good thinking. I see you haven't posted very many times and I can't recall you at all. How about an introduction now that we are filing guide buddies? Tell us a few things about yourself.

Akey,
Thanks for your winning entry and THANK YOU to all the dog's that participated. Glad we had a chance to have a little fun!
There can only be one winner for the prize but other entries may be used by Bruce for his ad's.

Nice work Roger T.
Now it seems that there is a theme song too! :happy:

Akey,
I will PM you to get the detail's for shipping out your Rhino 5" Paring/Utility knife.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It's a catchy phrase and easy to say. Good thinking. I see you haven't posted very many times and I can't recall you at all. How about an introduction now that we are filing guide buddies? Tell us a few things about yourself.

Sure thing. I posted over in the intro section when I first registered.

Hello from TX.
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Aaron and like the thread title stated I am from Texas. I have been following this forum for a while as well as a few others. I think I found KD through a reference someone made on a forum I am regular on called Texas Bowhunter. I have just started making my first knife after about a year of lurking and researching. I am doing everything mostly with hand files although I do have a cheapo belt sander. It's a slow process due to the fact the my 8 months pregnant wife has most of my free time allocated!

As far as my interest in making knives I am sure it is much like everyone else on this forum in that something made by my own hand is the most rewarding of all! Thanks again!

Laurence, I emailed you. I tried reply to your PM but it said your box was full. :biggrin:

Aaron,
Welcome to the pack at KD's.
There are many dog's and a few Doggette's that will gladly answer any of your knife making questions.

I got your email and sent a reply to you. Let me know and I will start on your knife in the next few days or so.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hello Aaron, Good to know you, thanks for the introduction and participation. Please stick around and call these forums home. Congrats on your new offspring. Let us know if we can do anything for you and your young family. I,m 61 yrs old and have grand kids. I remember being in your place. You,re adventures are ahead of you, enjoy them.

Well, today we got a "Gaggle of Guides" from the machine shop. We still have the last batch so I should be able to shoot about 22 guides in various stages of completion.

Way to go Aaron! That's a great slogan for Bruce's guides, and - okay, I gotta say it - I'm a little envious of you winning one of Laurence's knives. :) Looking forward to watching your first knife project too. That's a great adventure! Probably everyone remembers making their first knife. Welcome and congratulations!

Way to go Aaron! That's a great slogan for Bruce's guides, and - okay, I gotta say it - I'm a little envious of you winning one of Laurence's knives. :) Looking forward to watching your first knife project too. That's a great adventure! Probably everyone remembers making their first knife. Welcome and congratulations!

Dave,
I will start a WIP on building Arron's 5" Rhino Paring/Utility knife tomorrow if time allows.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks for the welcome! I am excited! This will only be the second custom made knife I have ever had and I can't wait to see it!

Thanks for the welcome! I am excited! This will only be the second custom made knife I have ever had and I can't wait to see it!

Yeah, you're gonna dig it, especially because...

Dave,
I will start a WIP on building Arron's 5" Rhino Paring/Utility knife tomorrow if time allows.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

That'll be great Laurence! Where are you going to post it, so I can watch for it? I'd love to see how you make a knife.

Yeah, you're gonna dig it, especially because...

That'll be great Laurence! Where are you going to post it, so I can watch for it? I'd love to see how you make a knife.

I am going to post it right here! Can anyone think of a better place to do it? I figured I would just continue
on this same thread.

WORK IN PROGRESS, On Aarons knife.

I start with a blank I have had water
jet cut out of 1/8" 440C Stainless. The blade is 1" tall at the ricassio or where the Plunge line will be.
I have Picked out a nice block of Bocote wood, Stabilized by "Faron Moore"
for the scales and some yellow fiber board for the liners along with two Bob Loveless type bolts that are also stainless. For me in the kitchen I want all stainless steels whenever possible.

After clean up and drilling the holes the blank is then H-ted by
Paul Bos Heat treat by Buck Knives to a RC of 59 points.
DSCN1300.jpg

Next it is time to use my Bruce Bump File guide that was the first Stainless one made out of his shop!:biggrin:

This 5" Paring/Utility with be more in the Japanese Petty Knife style vs the 3" Paring knife I started the contest with.
I do a full vee flat grind all the way to the spine so there is no resistant wedge at the top like can happen with hollow grinding a blade like this. I will also distal taper the blade starting at just a tad under the 1/8" thickness of the steel down to as thin as I can get the tip..

I should have time to grind out this blade tomorrow so I will add a picture and comments after that's done.

Thanks everyone!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Bruce,
This will be very simple compared to the great WIP's you have done. Just a small three piece 5" Utility knife.

Back