The Newell .45 cal front loader

Thanks guys... Dang i havent heard the phrase...The Bruce and Bruce Team....in a long time..guess I better get on the ball,got allot of catching up to do...
Great to be here,2thumbs
Bruce

Hi folks! This is my first post on the forum, and I joined thanks to a friend of mine on another forum who has told us about Bruce's amazing craftsmanship in the past.

Bruce, of the other projects I've seen from you I have to say that this is my favorite so far. I am thoroughly hooked on this thread! kewlpics1

Hi folks! This is my first post on the forum, and I joined thanks to a friend of mine on another forum who has told us about Bruce's amazing craftsmanship in the past.

Bruce, of the other projects I've seen from you I have to say that this is my favorite so far. I am thoroughly hooked on this thread! kewlpics1

Welcome Bob! Thanks for the compliments. Come back often to see if its updated. I work on this thread almost daily but his gun and knife is nearly ready to send off for the engraving and will be idle until its comes back.

I sent the stag away to Culpeppers for the amber dyeing but while its gone I need to be sure the gun and knife frames are contoured correctly. I am making maple grips for both and doing the finish grinding on the steel now because after the engraving is on I cant touch it with a grinder or even sand paper. It will be nerve wracking to fit up the stag when it gets here but with these wooden grips as a template it should be tricky but I can use them for thicknes and overall shape. Its more work but will save allot of waiting time. The dyeing process tends to swell and wrap stag so I cant contour them until after they are back. Am I making sense?

Oh here is the blade after the ferric cloride etching, cold bluing and final polishing. I like it.

101_5372_edited.jpg

101_5374_edited.jpg

101_5376_edited.jpg

101_5377_edited.jpg

101_5379_edited.jpg

101_5380_edited.jpg

101_5381_edited.jpg

101_5385_edited.jpg

Anyone else get a *pucker* when they see that 36 or larger grit belt right next to that beautiful guard? :eek:huh1 I'm getting a pucker just thinking about finishing out the W2 blade I'm working on without scratching up the top of the guard now that it's flat is final sanded and permanently fixed to a final-polished blade :D. Tape, tape, tape (for me, anyway)!!

Great job as always, Bruce. These type of threads really inspire us mortals to do more and better. Thanks for your contribution to this craft!

Love the pugs, BTW. My family has had them since I was young, though my parents have Leu Li now (a pup we got after our first pug passed on). They have the greatest emotional complexions and wonderful attitudes.

--nathan

Last edited:
Bruce,

I've just been lurking and watching you work. Checking out all the pretty pictures and waiting till I had something to say. Now...I just gotta say, and I don't normally like Damascus so keep that in mind, but that ferric and cold blue treatment is just plain SICK! WOW that pops! :~0

I may have to re evaluate my stance on Damascus. ;~)

Bruce,

I've just been lurking and watching you work. Checking out all the pretty pictures and waiting till I had something to say. Now...I just gotta say, and I don't normally like Damascus so keep that in mind, but that ferric and cold blue treatment is just plain SICK! WOW that pops! :~0

I may have to re evaluate my stance on Damascus. ;~)

I'm taking this as a compliment. Thankyou.:D

Anyone else get a *pucker* when they see that 36 or larger grit belt right next to that beautiful guard? :eek:huh1 I'm getting a pucker just thinking about finishing out the W2 blade I'm working on without scratching up the top of the guard now that it's flat is final sanded and permanently fixed to a final-polished blade :D. Tape, tape, tape (for me, anyway)!!

Great job as always, Bruce. These type of threads really inspire us mortals to do more and better. Thanks for your contribution to this craft!

Love the pugs, BTW. My family has had them since I was young, though my parents have Leu Li now (a pup we got after our first pug passed on). They have the greatest emotional complexions and wonderful attitudes.

--nathan

Yep, mine still puckers when I get close to this new 24 grit but I'm too lazy to hand sand it :D Just wait until I have to do this same thing with the stag and the guard is engraved. Thats not for the faint of heart. These wooden scales are so I can get the stag very close to the real size. I do plan to tape off the engraved parts to help. I want the stag about .020" proud so that will help from nicking the guard and liners too.

Pugs are so fun. Their entire goal in life is just to make us happy.

Last edited:
Hey Bruce,
In the woodworking industry we call 36 grit "the mother-in-laws tounge".(not mine of course, she a doll).

Steve

I made some temperary grips for the pistol also so I can contour the steel frame and butt and use them as templates for the stag.

101_5387_edited.jpg

101_5388_edited.jpg

101_5391_edited.jpg

101_5393_edited.jpg

101_5394_edited.jpg

Wow, I like that. Its always the fine details that make it even better.

My friend Kurt and I took it out for a shooting spree and to test it out. It was fun and found a couple things wrong, easy enough to fix though. The hammer spring is too light and it shoots 4" high at 10 yards. Perfect for drive by shooting because if it does go off it will only hit the tops of trees.

101_5402.jpg

Right now both the gun and knife are at Ken Hursts for some gold wire and engraving. It may be a couple weeks but meanwhile I want to get more technical on spring rates. There must be a gauge that will allow me to test the compression rate of coil springs. I may have to rig up my own with a scale of some kind. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm drooling over the fire and smoke coming out of the end of the barrel. That just made my day.

Back