The Newell .45 cal front loader

Bruce,

I'm LOVING watching you build this framed handle !!

One question though-

What do you put on your blade prior to taping it up to prevent rust. I taped like that once for a day and got to re-handsand the blade for my efforts even though I had waxed the blade before taping.

Thanks, Josh

Hmmm, what is causing the rust? trapped moisture? I dont use anything. Sometimes I spray it with WD-40 and tape over it but seldom get rust. Once I didnt neutralize the ferric cloride after checking a damascus pattern, I got plenty of rust then. If you handle the blade right after etching the logo its possible to rust everything you touch. Walla Walla is a dry place maybe.

This is the first time I've done scale relief into the guard this way. I wasnt sure it would work but I like the curves and it matches the bolsters on the gun too.

I say you should do a knife designed around them and their likes to commemorate their hard work protecting the house and the shop. Like for starters, a slip joint.2thumbs2thumbs

I say you should do a knife designed around them and their likes to commemorate their hard work protecting the house and the shop. Like for starters, a slip joint.2thumbs2thumbs

If there was a way to use all the dog hair they leave everywhere....maybe mix it with some acra-glas and make some handle material. It is ivory colored :D

I guess someone is going to be cleaning up the dog hairs for a while. Sounds like a good project to start after this beauty is done. Id make that slip joint an EDC.

When you work down the end of the tang for threading, how do you achieve true roundness and the correct diameter before threading?

and
I assume that you are threading with a hand held die and die holder?

...and you're just going to say with a file and a good eye right?

That radius at the back of the guard will be a nice touch

Last edited:
Hi Bruce!

I love the shape of that guard. I cannot recall if you are going to have it engraved or not.
Either way, engraved or not, it's gonna be a beaut. I also like the way your put the
texture back into those scales for the pistol.

I've learned a lot following this thread!

Dana

When you work down the end of the tang for threading, how do you achieve true roundness and the correct diameter before threading?

and
I assume that you are threading with a hand held die and die holder?

...and you're just going to say with a file and a good eye right?

That radius at the back of the guard will be a nice touch

just ground it down on my belt grinder until it was down to maximum diameter for a 6-32 thread. Yes I threaded it with a hand held die and handle. No file. Just spin it while grinding and check often with the calipers. I did have to bend it a little to match the angle of the hole I drilled in the pommel.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce!

I love the shape of that guard. I cannot recall if you are going to have it engraved or not.
Either way, engraved or not, it's gonna be a beaut. I also like the way your put the
texture back into those scales for the pistol.

I've learned a lot following this thread!

Dana

I am going to have it and the pistol engraved.
I think the grips are going to work after all. I ordered stag for the bowie from Chuck and Jessica and may need to texture them just a little too.

I got the stag in today and cut it up into scales. I added some texture to them also. The next step is to send them off for amber dyeing.

100_5289_edited.jpg

100_5290_edited.jpg

100_5291_edited.jpg

100_5293_edited.jpg

100_5294_edited.jpg

MMMMMM sexy. Hurry up and finish it already, lol. I wanna see a puff of smoke from the barrel and a nice pretty hole in the target.:D

Holy cow!

What grit is that belt in the picture?! It looks like 12grit!

BTW: I am going to try my hand in the near future on doing some texturing
like that. I have a nice pice of sambar crown that had the brow tine lopped off
and it has an empty space that needs to have some faux texturing applied :).

Can't wait to see the finished product.....and I'm one of those impatient OLD guys!

Dana:eek:

What grit is that belt in the picture?! It looks like 12grit!

BTW: I am going to try my hand in the near future on doing some texturing
like that. I have a nice pice of sambar crown that had the brow tine lopped off
and it has an empty space that needs to have some faux texturing applied :).

Can't wait to see the finished product.....and I'm one of those impatient OLD guys!

Dana:eek:

Its a 24 grit belt. Ya dont want to press hard and slip or its a half gone knuckle. I like it because it removes stag so fast theres no heat build up.

I think these grips will work. I bead blasted the tool marks out and they look pretty nice now. I'm thinking about strapping them on a real deer to get the final texture. :D

Good Morning Gentelmen,I finally decided to get registered here and post my first time here on Mr. Bump's Fantastic wip thread...I am also waiting for the rest of this project to get finished so I can see the final set...

Bruce

Good Morning Gentelmen,I finally decided to get registered here and post my first time here on Mr. Bump's Fantastic wip thread...I am also waiting for the rest of this project to get finished so I can see the final set...

Bruce

Its like old times, The Bruce and Bruce Team :D
Welcome Mr E

Bruce

Welcome to Knife Dogs Bruce, we all wait for the out come - it's going to great! - 2thumbs

TA Davison

Thanks guys... Dang i havent heard the phrase...The Bruce and Bruce Team....in a long time..guess I better get on the ball,got allot of catching up to do...
Great to be here,
Bruce

Back