The Newell .45 cal front loader

Screws have always been problematic for me. The hardware stores are absolutely no help. Like you were saying, the hinges they sell are out of the qrestion to use. Specialty catalog are better but I think the only way to be happy is to make my own hardware. There are flat head slotted screws available still, good thing there is because I dont want to make screws.

The gun does use modern torx 2-56 flat head stainless screws to hold the liners on. Fastener technology has come along way. They are under the scales and bolsters and dont show. They are countersunk which is important to align and tighten the gun. Sometimes I also use alignment pins and the flatheads.

The slotted screws are all made for knifemakers and stainless. Its nearly impossible to buy a counterbore for them so I use one that is slightly smaller and turn each screw head down to match it. Counter boring the depth of each screw is another problem. I need to match the depths of the counter bored hole to match the hiegth of the heads and stop there other wise I have to grind the tops of each screw and end uo with a handful of screws that only fit back into their own individual hole. I try to keep them the same length for that purpose. The scales are the exception as they taper but the heads of the scales screws are bigger in diameter and cant get mixed up with the bolster screws.

Over the years I've learned to use fewer screws to make things simpler and possible for the customer to actually work on and clean the gun/knife himself. Each one has its own little procedure but I've been putting real working screw drivers in the box. Two screw drivers will completely dissasemble and assemble the gun.

Future projects? I need to fill some orders and some are for pistol/knives. I have slipjoints and bowies in the book too. I have a hundred ideas. The trouble is time. These are so time consuming that orders dont get the attention they deserve. Its a real problem that I dont know how to handle. The days fly by the weeks and months and years fly by.

Last edited:
Here's 2 cents worth regarding hardware for small boxes:

The hinges used on this box are made by Brusso; they are milled from solid stock and hold the lid open at about 95 degrees. Now they're available in stainless steel, too. Lee Valley is one source for these.

Good quality brass hinges are usually extrusions. I avoid the ones formed from sheet brass as they are too thin and soft. Ball & Ball and Whitechapel are good sources. A lot of Van Dykes hardware is imported and varies in quality.

In a box like this where the sides and the lid are so thin in section, I use brass-plated steel screws for strength. They also have deeper cut threads than solid brass screws. Of course, accurate pilot holes and perfect alignment are essential for keeping things from working loose.

A small piano hinge could be used, but personally I think that that long strip of metal and screws detracts from the overall look.

As far as other options for a hinged lid, I've seen a pinned box joint used on some small boxes and looks very tidy. Also a leather strap capped with metal and pinned on from the back is a very old style of hinge.

I'm really appreciating this WIP by Bruce. Fortunately for me, I get to stop by his shop occasionally and see these works of art in person.

Roger Treis

Bruce, I think you need an apprentice - me. I work for free, will live in a camper in a park nearby and bring my own lunch. I specialize in hand sanding, shop cleaning and parts washing. Machines I can operate include a band saw and a pooper-scooper. I don't cuss much (for an old Marine) and I take instruction well (especially if you're wearing a Drill Instuctor's hat). About the only thing I won't do is put an apple on my head so you can test fire one of your muzzleloaders. Oh, and I can't start til next Monday. Denny

A edc pistol would be so cool to have. Not many people carry a pistol around everyday that they made themselves. Do you remember the "Liberty" pistol/folder? It is an EDC in Paris France right now. He loves that little gun, dont know if he shoots it but he does carry it. I've been thinking about making a totally modern, almost futuristic pistol but making it a single shot muzzleloader. It would be driving a Corvette with a VW engine. :D
I was thinking of one idea you could do which is different than what you have done before is make an over/under muzzleloader. It would be new and different and very unique. That might get the juices flowing right there.2thumbs2thumbs:D:bud:

Bruce, I think you need an apprentice - me. I work for free, will live in a camper in a park nearby and bring my own lunch. I specialize in hand sanding, shop cleaning and parts washing. Machines I can operate include a band saw and a pooper-scooper. I don't cuss much (for an old Marine) and I take instruction well (especially if you're wearing a Drill Instuctor's hat). About the only thing I won't do is put an apple on my head so you can test fire one of your muzzleloaders. Oh, and I can't start til next Monday. Denny

Denton, You're hired. Monday is fine.
Oh, do you have your own pooper scooper? If not you can use mine. :D

I was thinking of one idea you could do which is different than what you have done before is make an over/under muzzleloader. It would be new and different and very unique. That might get the juices flowing right there.2thumbs2thumbs:D:bud:

I've thought about that, the barrels would rotate or else it will need two hammers or a sliding plate to strike the caps one at a time. Of coarse you could adjust the sliding plate to strike both caps at once in case of Grizzly Bear attack. :eek:

I've thought about that, the barrels would rotate or else it will need two hammers or a sliding plate to strike the caps one at a time. Of coarse you could adjust the sliding plate to strike both caps at once in case of Grizzly Bear attack. :eek:
I'm sure you could come up with something and still make it look beautiful. Maybe have part of the hammer slide up and down or rotate so that it will hit the caps one at a time. Hope this helps you figure something out.

Hey Bruce,
Number one problem with any double barrel black powder and the reason you don't see many is that a spark will make them chain fire. This can be unpleasant and dangerous. I have a derringer and an old .22/20 gauge, both smokeless powder, and they each have a barrel selector on the hammer. Just a thought.

Steve

This set is nearly finished. I think it will go out to Coop in the morning. Just a few loose ends to tie up. Its been an enjoyable journey. The next image you see should be from our own infamous Jim Cooper with some professional shots.
Thanks everybody for their input and support (moral support) and for clicking in here so often. Its much appreciated.
Bruce

100_7521.jpg

Outstanding.

I'm a bit worried though - I think viewing Coop's pics and seeing all these wonderful details popping off the sccreen might just make my head explode.

Roger

Mr. Bump, another winner.
Gabe will be tickled with that I'm sure...

Looks beautiful Bruce!! Would look better in my hands but a man can dream. So what did you think about my idea of having the barrel selector as a rotating piece on the hammer?

Looks beautiful Bruce!! Would look better in my hands but a man can dream. So what did you think about my idea of having the barrel selector as a rotating piece on the hammer?

I like it. I'll remember that when the time comes. Too many projects, too little time.

I like it. I'll remember that when the time comes. Too many projects, too little time.
But you can always start planning it out and drawing out a template and figuring out the caliber and getting the parts for it so that by the time you get ready to make it you can save you a little time and you will be able to just start making the parts.2thumbs:sleeping dog:

A edc pistol would be so cool to have. Not many people carry a pistol around everyday that they made themselves.

I've been thinking about making a totally modern, almost futuristic pistol but making it a single shot muzzleloader. It would be driving a Corvette with a VW engine. :D

My understanding of the laws you have is that you could make a modern cartridge firearm for your own personal use, just not for sale.
It does become transfererrable when you die so your kids could keep it.

Dare to dream and make whatever you want, just show us pics.

My understanding of the laws you have is that you could make a modern cartridge firearm for your own personal use, just not for sale.
It does become transfererrable when you die so your kids could keep it.

Dare to dream and make whatever you want, just show us pics.

Yes thats the same understanding I have. anybody can make their own guns and keep them regardless of muzzle-loading or modern cartridge but if they sell them an FFL manufacturers license is required.

I really would like to make a pretty little edc that takes a cartridge. Just a single shot that breaks open would be cool. Simple is best otherwise a mistake can cause you to lose determination. I've made plenty of mistakes but luckily have found solutions and kept going.

Back