The Newell .45 cal front loader

Great job bro. Man that sure looks pretty. I'm dying to see it finished.

I felt a wave of anxiety when you said you needed to sand the handle with the engraving in place. I will be praying!!

I worked on the stag scales for the last couple days and have made progress.

101_5924_edited.jpg

101_5925_edited.jpg

101_5926_edited.jpg

101_5929_edited.jpg

101_5930_edited.jpg

101_5932_edited.jpg

101_5934.jpg

101_5935_edited.jpg

101_5938_edited.jpg

I need a mop and a bucket to clean up all this drool. That looks absolutely beautiful Bruce.

You're made of much sturdier stock than I Bruce. My heart would stop if I had to put that engraving so close to the grinder.

Were you using the pencil on the stag the same as if you were using dykem on metal?

That sure is some pretty stag. And in combination with the stunning damascus and beautiful engraving, this thing is eye candy overload.

Roger

Thanks guys! Its not for the "faint of heart" but just hold your breath and go slow.

Were you using the pencil on the stag the same as if you were using dykem on metal?

Yes, the pencil marks the high spots and I will sand them off and do it again and again until the scale height is right all the way around the edges. I learned this method from making Ruger and Colt pistol grips. Your pistol will get the same treatment soon.

Last edited:
OK guys! I just heard from Ken Hurst and he has the engraving finished on the pistol. It wont be long now until this project is done. I should get the gun back in a couple days and will post some shots of his work. I need to fit the stag grips to it and make the interior for the display case still. Also need to "french grey" both the gun and bowie.
See ya in a few days! Whoo Hooo!

Can't wait to see the finished product. Watching them be built is amazing and very inspiring!!!

Thanks for the wip!!!

That's about the sickest thing I've ever seen. I know quite a few Ronnievous guys who would literally kill for that pistol and knife.

Back