The Strauss Pirate 36 caliber

NOOOOOO!!!! I just found this thread and read straight through it. I get almost all the way to them final product and then the pages run out. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS!!!! Work harder. your only duty in life is to get this done, RIGHT NOW. ;)

Cool gnife

Calm down geek, Bruce has sent this off to the engraver, there's nothing he can do to make that guy
go faster. At least he's shown us some in-engraving-process pics he's never shown before. :)

Thanks for watching my back Dan,
Yes Geek574 keep checking back because I'm just as excited as you are to see this one done. Actually this gunknife will be entered in the pistol engraving competition in Reno Nevada in January so it wont be long now. The last thing I want to do is rush the engraver. Patience my friend,
Bruce

I know there is nothing that you can do, but it is like getting to the end of an excellent novel and then realizing that the last chapter hasn't been written yet.

I am looking forward to the end.

BTW, I have gone through every one of your WIPs that I can find, and I am enjoying them thoroughly.

Thanks Geek,
I enjoy a WIP. I find that doing the work in progress will make me a more accountable to do a better knife. Did you also notice some of the foul ups too?
I know there is nothing that you can do, but it is like getting to the end of an excellent novel and then realizing that the last chapter hasn't been written yet.

I am looking forward to the end.

BTW, I have gone through every one of your WIPs that I can find, and I am enjoying them thoroughly.

I did, but you can learn from screw ups as well as successes. If you never fail, you never find out what you inevitably did wrong.

Oh man! I got some photos from Brian. Unbelievable work. This pistol is going to turn some heads!

newpic6.jpg

newpic4.jpg

newpic7.jpg

newpic2.jpg

newpic1.jpg

That is simply incredible. To say that this pistol will be a head turner is probably THE understatement of 2012.

You could make a best selling book out of the WIP that you have shown. Add the engraving pictures and everyone would want one for the coffee table.

Mike,
There is a WIP Coffee Table book in progress now.
Just waiting for final assembly photos and the pro shots for the cover.

Steve

Spent most of the day on the two screw drivers. They are lathe turned from ebony and have brass ferrels and butt caps. One is a #6 torx and the other a 1/8" flat tip and JB Welded in place.

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

I know it's been said but that engraving is simply incredible! :7:

And the pistol ain't too shabby either. ;)

Thanks again Bruce for sharing this with us.

I've been finishing up the oval case with velvet inserts for the loading and cleaning tools, powder flask, round balls, caps, patches ect. I also lathe turned 4 steel feet for the bottom. The barrel went back to the engraver for a tad more gold but besides that I'm about ready to put this together for the last time. I still need to screw the nickel plated oval on the case lid and make a new thumb stud but things are winding down finally.

PortRoyalCase005.jpg

PortRoyalCase001.jpg

PortRoyalCase002.jpg

PortRoyalCase010.jpg

PortRoyalCase014.jpg

PortRoyalCase007.jpg

Ah man what a tease. :D

Seriously looking good but going to be amazing once it is all together.

Alistair

The grips came back from my friend that did the checkering on them. They are made of pre-ban ivory and are hard to cut compared to the usual wood grips he is used to and they took more time and dulled a cutter but he did an excellent job on em. I hand polished them to 4000 grit with pink polishing cloth.

PortRoyalnearlyfinished005.jpg

The screws needed to be flame blued with a propane torch as they are stainless and wont take a caustic blue job also each one had to be timed so the slots all went the same direction. To do that I had to test and adjust the counter-bore depth until they lined up. Kinda a pain in the arse but worth the extra time it took.

PortRoyalnearlyfinished007.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished008.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished009.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished010.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished012.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished013.jpg

PortRoyalnearlyfinished014.jpg

If you are alert, you've noticed theres no barrel. Well it went back to Brian for more engraving and gold inlays. Brian needs to install the barrel and time the last 2 screws himself. He is taking it to the Engravers Guild Association Show in Reno Nevada next week. I'm hoping it wins the "engraved pistol" competition. Keep your fingers crossed OK?

Back