The Strauss Pirate 36 caliber

This entire project will be documented as before in a Coffee Table style photo book.
It will be complete about a week after I recieve the final photos after engraving.
We are going to try something different and have captions that explain the process as much as possible.

Steve

Bruce, simply amazing work! Thank you SO much for taking the time to take pictures and give us such great detail on how this process works.

Steve, can't wait to see that book...

Amazing as always, Bruce. I found another of your knives in Knives 2012 (engraved by Ken Hurst) and a real beauty from Dana Hackney!

OK Bruce, I just have to ask -- If you have this piece completely apart after the engraving, could you take an expolded view shot?

Not only do I love those exploded views, I think it better shows what all goes into one of these (literly) and allows the viewer to get a better appreciation of the piece.

I am also curious as to exactly how many pieces are in this piece -- my guess is 42.

This piece is truely a work of art in every way and it is much appreciated the way you shared the process with us.

Brian

OK Bruce, I just have to ask -- If you have this piece completely apart after the engraving, could you take an expolded view shot?

Not only do I love those exploded views, I think it better shows what all goes into one of these (literly) and allows the viewer to get a better appreciation of the piece.

I am also curious as to exactly how many pieces are in this piece -- my guess is 42.

This piece is truely a work of art in every way and it is much appreciated the way you shared the process with us.

Brian

Hi Brian,
I'll get a shot of all the parts for ya. 42 may be about right if the shooting and cleaning kits are included but right now its around 35 for the gun alone.

Hey we took the pistol/folder to the Rocky Mountain Knife Show and it took top honors in the knife makers competition.

This is a "Traveling Trophy" that needs to go back for the next years winner. Thats good because I also get free table rent there next year.

Boiseandawards035.jpg

Congratulations on top honors, you really deserved it. If you get attached to that traveling trophy just bring it home again next year. :biggrin:

That's awesome Bruce, but no surprise to me! These works are truly something special and we're graced to get to watch their creation. What a treat. Congratulations! An honor well earned.

Much appreciated compliments guys!

I've been working on the mahogany display case and the shooters kit. The box will be a double decker with nothing but the pistol visible through the oval glass, open the lid and lift out the top tier and all the tools will be stored underneath. Come back soon because I'm on a roll.

Much appreciated compliments guys!

I've been working on the mahogany display case and the shooters kit. The box will be a double decker with nothing but the pistol visible through the oval glass, open the lid and lift out the top tier and all the tools will be stored underneath. Come back soon because I'm on a roll.

That is great news. I am ready for some more Bruce Bump slip joint goodness!

Bruce,
Myself and my buddy are entranced by your work.
The photos are very informative and appreciated. One question....how many man hours are involved total in a project like this ? you certainly deserve that MS stamp.

Rudy

Conratulations, Bruce, on yet another honor. I second Rudy's question: how many man hours do you estimate that you have in a build like this? And then how many more do you have when you make this a WIP? and share it with the rest of the Knife Dogs?

Jim and Denny,
Much appreciated congrats!
I never keep track of hours on anything but instead work as many hours as possible every week. As a stay at home grandpa I seem to be a taxi, errand boy, grocery getter, baby sitter, and poop scooper but at least I'm the "chief cook and bottle washer" 4 days per week while Kaye works 55 hours per week at the city of Walla Walla. Its hard to get all my shop cleaning and remodeling done, I'm way behind in orders for knives, 5 years behind in gun/knives (at 1 per year anyway) but wouldnt want it any other way. I checked the starting date for this gunknife at July 1st. Thats over 4 months although I got a couple small knives out during that time mostly its all spent on this one. The real problem is I stand firm on the original quoted price and many times underestamate the time things take. Nobody has ever told me I'm a savy businessman. Wonder why?
These WIPs are just plain fun to do and the pictures need to tell a thousand words because there really isnt enough time to type out every detail of the builds. Luckily people come back and follow them and tell others. Seldom do I get personal emails wanting explainations so the barrage of pictures (way over 300 in this one) must be sufficient. I relax at the computer nightly since 1999 and bounce all over the knife forums anyway so its no trouble to post pictures. Hey thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Back