The Strauss Pirate 36 caliber

Back to work.
As promised to Mark I ordered the parts for shooting and cleaning the gun from Track of the Wolf. They know their business and I highly recommend them for muzzleloading guns and supplies.

This is a bullet starter handle made from ebony. It also doubles as a ram rod and cleaning rod. The following pages include wrapping the gun with tin foil and gluing a felt layer for correct spacing for bedding the barrel. I used automotive bondo as the bedding compound. It dries fast and tough, light wieght and easy to shape. The top tray is the only part of the oval storage case that will be bedded. The lower section will be walled off with individual sections for the many different tools.

I chose black velvet to cover the wood. I silicone glued a black twisted cord on the seam around the bedded oval on the underside. The lower wall sections will also be covered in black velvet.

I also had time to lathe turn 2 steel knobs to remove the top tier for accessing the shooters tools. These knobs will be engraved to match the gun.

ovalcase024.jpg

ovalcase033.jpg

ovalcase025.jpg

ovalcase030.jpg

ovalcase035.jpg

ovalcase036.jpg

ovalcase038.jpg

ovalcase039.jpg

ovalcase042.jpg

ovalcase043.jpg

ovalcase044.jpg

ovalcase045.jpg

ovalcase046.jpg

ovalcase047.jpg

ovalcase048.jpg

ovalcase049.jpg

ovalcase052.jpg

ovalcase055.jpg

ovalcase056.jpg

ovalcase057.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce, I am curious, any special reason to cut the knobs on the bandsaw and not part them with the lathe?

Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

Hi James,
I have made only one pattern welded gun barrel. Brutus the Axe Gun has a twisted barrel made from the canister method. I'd like to do more sometime. The old methods are difficult to do with a one man shop. Most of the procedures died with the makers and we're left without teachers. I think I understand it enough to make a small barrel but the old twist shotgun barrel days are gone. That takes a team of experienced smiths. I was just born in the wrong century.
Very nice package. Have you thought of make a pattern weld barrel ?

Hey Patrice.
My lathe is small and the bandsaw is more than adequate. The knob tops needed to be domed on the belt after the cut anyway.
Bruce, I am curious, any special reason to cut the knobs on the bandsaw and not part them with the lathe?

Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

I recieved a few of the sketches of Brians proposed engraving today. The nautical theme includes some well placed gold border and flourishments and two raised gold animals. I'm as giddie as a school girl with anticipation.

colordesign.jpg

coloranimals2.jpg

All kinds of awesome, can't wait to see the finished product, this has been another very entertaining wip and very much appreciated. :35:

More news from Brian about the engraving. I find it so interesting to see how this type of art is accomplished. Just have a look at the gold wire inlay proceedure. Amazing!
Take a close look at the last picture. The gold inlays are cut out individually and hammered into place. Geez Louise!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce and Brian, that is awesome! I love seeing this in progress, and it goes so well with the WIP thread. Thanks a million for sharing this, I've been wondering how the engraving was coming. This is great!

Sorry we didnt get together there too. You live close to Boise, what happened?

My year has been turned bit up side down, a life long friend is battling cancer. I had hoped to bring him along again this year, but he was having a bad week so we both stayed home.

Doug

My year has been turned bit up side down, a life long friend is battling cancer. I had hoped to bring him along again this year, but he was having a bad week so we both stayed home.

Doug

OK thats a good excuse. My best buddy has been fighting cancer and won but then went in for open heart surgery. He is still weak as a kitten sometimes. We used to travel around to knife shows until he got sick.

We have to take care of our friends, their usually worth more than our relatives.

Maybe I'll catch you in Eugene in the spring.

Doug

Back