This One's For Jr.

backtines

Im in my garage every night after dinner messin around with this knife stuff and my son is right beside me always tuning his bow or fletching arrows. Out of nowhere he asked , " Dad , can you make me a knife ?" I stopped what I was doing immediately and without a second to spare , we had out our pencil's and paper. I let him him design this knife 100% ( size , scales , pins, bolster , and shape ) All his doing . He wanted something primative, rustic, no frills. He wanted a knife that he can use and not be afraid of getting it dirty .

Just a little history before I continue on . When Mikey was just a little kid , Id take him in the woods hunting , fishing , camping , shooting guns ( all of the outdoor stuff ) all at the age of 4 or 5. At the age of 10 or so , I watched him in the back yard making a knife out of a stick , grinding it on the ground. So I brought him down into the garage and we began to make a knife together. I made one for him out of the tools I had and immediately I was bitten by the Knife Bug .I then set up shop in my garage and began making knives with him every night. His knife came out pretty good but he eventually snapped off the tip (due to him using it as a pry bar. ) He has not had one of our knives for the last 4 years. He thought it was about time he had one of our knives for himself.. Anyway Im rambling a bit , Im just pround of my son , hes growing up into a fine young man . Hes gonna be 15 in a few months and has more smarts then most grown ups I know. He and I worked on this knife 100% together. Hopefully this one will stay around a while ..

OL 7 1/4 "
Jigged Impala Scales
Copper Pins
Copper Bolster Wrap w/ Sinew
I left some scale on blade and topped it off with mustard ( smells lke a hotdog )
We still need to make a sheath for it.

Here's Mikeys Knife ..

Not enough parents do stuff like this with their kids. Great to see Mikey, spending time with your kids is never a bad investment. I hope my daughter will "Humor the old man" and work in the shop with me someday.

I see a talented knifemaker in the works. Nice job Mikey.

I wish I could get my 15 year old into the shop. He just does not have the patience.

That is great to see a father teaching his son about how to enjoy life and what's right and what's wrong!
Not enough parents do that anymore!

The knife looks excellent with a refined and primitive look to it.

Your are a Great Dad and keep up the great work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Too cool ! Enjoyed the knife and the story behind it ! Don't forget to show us the sheath :)

Ohhhh and that youngster has an eye for design too.

-Josh

That is awesome man! I can't wait for the day when I will be able to do that, but I guess you kind of need a woman for that first :biggrin:.

You two did an excellent job! Can't wait to see the sheath. I bet you are one proud papa..

Great story Milke. My 18 yr old doesnt have time for anything but his girlfriend. But I love the way you love your son.
My heart just wells up when I hear you talk about your son. I'm proud of you.

Great story and interesting that he spec'ed the bolsters, jigging, etc he has good taste and knows about knives...he must be watching when fletching his arrows...

You guys are all too kind . Thank you all for such nice words. I'm blessed to have good friends and family. I consider you all part of my family. Thank you!

Your a Blessed man. and its very cool to see your sons knife.. Love the design and use of materials. Great work and congrats to you both on this one. Its a knife you will both cherish the memory of making and enjoy every time he uses it!

God Bless and thanks for sharing!

You're living the dream Mike.
Even though I had all girls, I did the outdoors thing with them. Untill they discovered boys that is.

Rudy

That's awesome! You don't see this kind of stuff any more and it's sad. So many people I know would do anything to spend time with their kids but times have changed.

My dad and I still spend a lot of time together. I'm 29 and he is 53. I got him hooked on knife making last summer when I setup shop at his house. I hope that my son wants to spend as much time with me as I do with my dad.

As they say, anyone can be a Father, but it takes a special somone to be a Dad. Glad your a Dad! Those memories you are making will last a life lifetime for both of you!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks guy ,he really is a good kid. Being that he loves his bow , knives and hunting so much. I built him his own little shop area, right along me in my shop. It gives him an excuse to come down and work along side me all the time. I am blessed , I do realize that he spends a lot of time with me more then most of these kids In the area . He understands that when you want something in life , you need to work for it. Anytime he helps me with a knife im selling, I give him some money for his effort. He has no problem picking up a snow shovel during snow storms and knock on people's door to shovel their walkways to put a few extra bucks in his pocket . My father taught me something when I was a kid. You can take it for what it's worth. I believe it and so far so good . He said to me , " A family that eats dinner together , stays together and if you take a kid hunting, you won't have to hunt for you kid later". Thanks again guys.

An awesome story and knife. Spend time with them and listen to them. If you dont someone will, and you may not want them around your children. Scott

Back