Tip up or Tip down?

I prefer tip down,that way whe n I grab and pull the knife it rotates into my hand.
But most I make to sell I get request for tip up.
Stan

Waistline or below tip up, I don't have to rotate the handle.
Above the waist, in pockets or on straps, tip down for the same reason.

Tip down ONLY (clip attached to the pivot end of the knife). I will not build a folder with a tip up carry, for two reasons, Safety and Liability. To explain, it is without a doubt the biggest liability position a knifemaker could put themselves into....several makers have gotten themselves into serious trouble by selling folders set up for tip up carry. Again, to explain, with some jarring around, it is very possible for the tip to slightly expose itself inside the pocket, then when it's withdrawn, the tip catches the inside of the pocket, and generally winds up going into the thigh/hip of the person.

How do I know? It happened to me. I was working cattle at a local ranch, and had a tip up carry folder in my pocket...I had been riding for a while and we had a situation that required a knife fast.....as I was rolling off the horse, I was reaching for my folder...apparently while riding/working, the tip had jarred it's way slightly open, as I tried to jerk the folder out of my pocket, the point caught on the inside of my pocket, opened as it was coming out and into my leg. By the time we got the "wreck" settled down, my right pants leg was soaked in blood. Off to the Doc, and a bunch stitches later, I understood.

I know there are a bunch of makers out there who build all their folders with tip up carry, and I know it will offend some of them, but I think that building tip up carry folders is about he dumbest thing a knifemaker can do to themselves. It's an accident or lawsuit waiting to happen. Why put yourself in that position?

I've not had the experience that Ed did (thankfully), but I agree with always carrying tip down. If I need to reach past my knife for change or whatever, I don't like the idea of sliding my hand past a potentially exposed knife tip...

To me, this question could also be stated as "front pocket or back pocket?" My preferred EDC is a Spyderco Endura in my right hip pocket, tip down, blade opening toward the right edge of my pocket. The pocket and gravity keep the blade closed. It very naturally rotates into my hand as I draw it and my thumb finds the Spyder-hole.

Like Ed, I like to keep the blade toward the edge of my pocket as I carry it so the pocket helps keep the knife closed and safe. I haven't (yet?) been bitten by a knife carried tip up in my front pocket, but I rarely carry that way. My hip pocket feels more natural. That said, while working in the yard I often have a Boker-Plus with a big wharncliffe blade in my right front pocket. It is pretty stiff so I think it is unlikely to open while still in my pocket, but it does feel more natural to draw tip up from a front pocket.

Naturally, YMMV! :)
Steve

I was just curious. Most of the guys I work with like to carry tip up. Ive always thought that was unsafe for exactly the reason Ed said. Being a leftie Ive always had a hard time finding a knife that is comfortable to carry. Right handed knives in the left pocket, that sucks!;)
Like Steve I like to carry in my hip pocket quite a bit.

Tip up is safer as the blade it tucked into the corner of the pocket not exposed to the inside of the pocket . it is also safer as the center of gravity in in the pocket no at the top so it can be ejected easily.Liability lies in tip down as the bade is more likely to self open and slice the femoral artery, or you fingers as you reach in your pocket for something else.

Being a leftie Ive always had a hard time finding a knife that is comfortable to carry. Right handed knives in the left pocket, that sucks!;)
Sean, you might want to look at Spyderco. Some of their models can mount the clip on either side of either end. The Spyder-hole is naturally ambidexterous and doesn't stick out to catch pocket edges like thumb studs can. You can get a great deal from several Internet dealers. Sometimes you can even rescue a great but abused knife from an eBay seller (like I did) then clean it up.

Tip up, tip down doesn't work for me. I want the blade exposed and knife in hand as fast as possible.

I understand Ed's point of view, but does it make a difference if the blade is faceing the outside of the leg or the inside. I've made some with tip down and tip up, and have some Benchmade's with the tip up, but always with the blade toward the outside.

Horizontal Carry, in a "Quik Draw" Sheath I made, as shown in this photo of my EDC weapons.

Attachments

• My EDC Weapons.jpg
    My EDC Weapons.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
Back