Tire hammer....time!!!!

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs,
I just wanted to take a second and share the GREAT news with y'all, I went yesterday and ordered my brand new Tire Hammer!!!! It'll be ready for pick up in 3 weeks! I am beyond excited, I spent the afternoon at John Wayne Taylor's shop in Wetumpka, AL. Took some of Aldo's 1095 with me, and practically forged a blade in less than an hour! Keep in mind I haven't held a hammer in almost 3 months! The Tire Hammer is AWESOME!! I'll see if I have some pics I can send when I get home, the Pup' was in charge of photography so there is no telling if I have any good shots. Just wanted to share the GOOD news, Rex

Congrats, Rex!
Please keep us updated.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should go with a tire hammer or a helve hammer design.
I've already written down some ideas and sorta drawn some sketches for the helve, but I'm seriously considering switching over to the tire hammer due to smaller footprint and no arc during the strike.
I do not have all materials collected yet, and nothing has been cut, drilled, or welded, either. So I still have time to switch direction.

I'm very happy for you. Keep us updated!

Congrats, Rex!
Please keep us updated.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should go with a tire hammer or a helve hammer design.
I've already written down some ideas and sorta drawn some sketches for the helve, but I'm seriously considering switching over to the tire hammer due to smaller footprint and no arc during the strike.
I do not have all materials collected yet, and nothing has been cut, drilled, or welded, either. So I still have time to switch direction.

I'm very happy for you. Keep us updated!

Rob,
After using one yesterday, it made it a "no-brainer"! Honestly, I was torn between hunting down a Little Giant and paying through the nose for it, PLUS a LONG,LONG trip to pick it up IF I found one that was reasonably close. One I used this Tire Hammer, I asked the question, "Why isn't it called a Power Hammer?" It hits just as hard if not harder, you can make dies or have them made for you the same as a Little Giant. The biggest difference is that there is a tire up top there. This one has a 50 pound hammer head, once it gets going you can literally feel the concrete vibrating, it's got some serious banging power! If I would have tried one out sooner or at least seen one operate in person sooner. I could have saved myself some time, and worry. I've seen a Little Giant, and the best I can tell, the only difference is in the amount of control. And that's probably MY fault, not being able to hold the foot peddle down correctly, I noticed John Wayne had perfect control of the hammer blows, either one at a time or several hard hits in a row. As you can tell I'm seriously EXCITED!!! I'll check and see if I got any pics of it, and I'll probably put some video of it up on my Facebook page, once I get home tonight, after Ty's Ballgame. Thanks, Rex

Rob,
After using one yesterday, it made it a "no-brainer"! Honestly, I was torn between hunting down a Little Giant and paying through the nose for it, PLUS a LONG,LONG trip to pick it up IF I found one that was reasonably close. One I used this Tire Hammer, I asked the question, "Why isn't it called a Power Hammer?" It hits just as hard if not harder, you can make dies or have them made for you the same as a Little Giant. The biggest difference is that there is a tire up top there. This one has a 50 pound hammer head, once it gets going you can literally feel the concrete vibrating, it's got some serious banging power!

I will probably go with a 50lber. Not that I am at the stage of currently needing one as large; the type of work I would want to do could easily be done with half that. But, as with all things, later down the road I'll be kicking myself for not going big from the start.
Thinking about it, it's a pretty serious investment for a "hobbyist maker" like myself, so I might as well go bigger from the beginning.

I've put a lot of forethought into the foundation problems, aka "the "concrete shaking".
I'm not new to hot metal (been making castings for quite some time), but I still consider myself very new to forging as a rule, and so far everything has been done in the back yard outside next to the shed shop. (The shed has a wood floor; not good with hot stuff.)
Also got a shop down in the basement, but something like forging is not done down there (noise, heat, ventilation, and difficulty of moving heavy equipment down there).

Planning on relocating this summer because the house I'm currently in is too much living space (2 story, 4 BR, 2 bath, full basement) for just me and my daughter! But, IMO, not enough "working space" on property. Could do with same size property, only a smaller house and larger shop.
During the move, I'm seriously thinking about pouring a separate pad specifically for the hammer in the new shop, isolated from the rest of the floor. Don't know if that will help or not, but everything I've researched says that's the most effective way to help with the vibration problems.

I've heard that Clay Spencer still offers the tire hammer workshops; probably something I should check into, if I can ever get some time off from work!

So when is the Hammer-In Rex? We all want to try it!!I'm honored that the 1st piece of steel you used was out of my shop. Good Luck with it!

Aldo

Thanks Larry, I'm, really looking forward to it!!!

Aldo, the chances of your steel being used was pretty good, since that's the ONLY STEEL I BUY!!!!
As much as I hawk your steel, folks already think you pay me!!!!

Rob, the 50 pound hammer is the only way I know this one is made, it has been scaled down but I don't know how successful it was for forge work, I think it was more of a novelty. Do know that if you buy one from John Wayne Taylor, you will get an excellent hammer, it blew me away using it and I can't wait until I can get mine in my shop, hopefully I'll be getting in better shape and able to work longer, Thanks Dawgs, Rex

Very cool ! I have been looking at the tire hammer or a Hyd press. the problem I have with a hammer is my shop floor is already cracked and if I ran a hammer on it I think it would turn to dust. Looking for some videos when you get it. I have the plans to build one though I would not trust anything I welded especially if it had moving parts. I have heard a lot of great things about John's hammers..

Steve,
John Wayne says he puts a sheet of rubber under his hammers and should be fine on my 4" slab, I mentioned that
I didn't want to bust my slab. Now I won't say that it won't/can't happen, but if I think for a minute it might bust my slab, I'll stop and and take some extra measures. Probably cut a large section out of my slab, weld up a box with re-bar and bolts, about a foot deep, dig the hole out for the box to go in and then back fill it with concrete, that is after packing the hole with a little gravel, and maybe a little concrete before the box goes in. That is probably a little bit of over kill, but I bet it won't crack after it's properly cured, which takes about a month. I'll give it a try John Waynes way, he says it should be OK, BUT I could feel the concrete I was standing on rocking with every hit of the hammer! I'll have pics AND video coming as soon as I ge it home! Rex

Rex, Does John build and sell these? If so what is his contact # or web page.

Thanks for sharing

Rex, Does John build and sell these? If so what is his contact # or web page.

Thanks for sharing

MLazyB,
Yes John does build and sell these, he has been doing it for a long time, I'm not quite sure how many he has built, but it is a lot! To my knowledge he doesn't have a web site, but his phone number is 334-514-2254, his cell number is 334-315-0032, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind me giving his number out, just remember we are on Central time here and try not to call too late. He's an early riser which will make him an "earlier to bedder", I bet he would rather build 2 or more at a time than just 1 at a time, he's a super nice guy, and his shop is AMAZING!!!!!! I really should say SHOPS! He hs some serious balcksmithing talent, and makes some really nice tools as well, he's already asked my son if he wants to learn how to make tongs, which I will be getting in on that class! Thanks, Rex

So when is the Hammer-In Rex? We all want to try it!!I'm honored that the 1st piece of steel you used was out of my shop. Good Luck with it!

Aldo

It's so funny you ask that question Aldo, that is something I've been wanting to do since I started making knives, along with a local bladesmithing club, I can't see a better way to learn more about this stuff than getting together with a bunch of folks from different walks of life with different skill sets to share knowledge with each other. It's definitely something I would like to explore a lot more indepthly, probably after I get my house built, we break ground on it next month if everything goes well!!!!

I may start working on the bladesmithing club first, then the hammer-in would follow a lot easier. AND I have the best place to hold it once it out grows my place, it's a civil war memorial park in Autauga County, lots of room, just not a lot of facilities. And not real close to anything, much like my place, you would have to drive at least 6 miles from my place to the nearest hotel, maybe 10 from the park. So can I go ahead and put you down as a sponsor?!?!!?:biggrin:
I can only see my club bring you more business, sponsor or not, because I only HAVE ONE STEEL SUPPLIER!!!! Yankee steel as it may be, it's the best there is!!!!

BTW No offense meant about the yankee thing, ...I actually have a friend of mine that is one....
I'm kidding, I'm not a great rebel as it is, if you know anything about the Civil War, the name McClellan was prominent, as in General George McClellan, who fought for the.....<sniff> NORTH!!!! Besides he was a sucky leader, so I try not to claim him to often, but family is family. Thanks Buddy! Rex
BTW, I will be getting touch with you soon, I need some more of that 1095 the big stuff! Since I will have the POWER to forge it, I need to get as mcuh as I can afford! AND of course you KNOW I've got to have some of that W-2, AND I might as well get some 15N20, you know whats coming with that!!!

Rex,

I'll be there with a truck full of the best forging steel money can buy the second you give me the date Sir, and I know the trip from Jersey wouldn't be a long one.

Rex,

I'll be there with a truck full of the best forging steel money can buy the second you give me the date Sir, and I know the trip from Jersey wouldn't be a long one.

Aldo,
Seriously Brother, you are one crazy traveling Jersey Boy! errr, I mean Baron! I have no doubt you'd be here as soon as I get eveything organized, it is a ways off, but definitley something that I want to do. I hope to one day have a club that garners the same type of respect as the 3rd Thursday at Uncle Al's!

I would want it to be worth your time and expense, it's so expensive driving that far, so we'll work on something to make sure it is worth making the trip. That's one of the reasons why I think a local club would be the logical first step, having a concentration of knife makers in one area or at least some guys and girls interested in getting into it. That will support some activities, I don't know much but I will share everythig I do know with anyone that is serious about learning, not the here today gone tomorrow types, the guys that have the same burning desire that I do, with the moral qualities of real knifemakers! I couldn't leave that off! All I can say is we will see, when it's time to get it started, I'll figure out how to begin, to make sure there is enough interest so one person doesn't have to be the Prez, Vice Prez, Treasurer and Secretary at the same time! Probably by announcing it here. I'd rather start it off by getting a few folks together that just want to share knowledge and experiences, kind of an informal get together, make friends and knives at the same time! I think that is how most of them get started, getting folks interested in making knives together to share knowledge, I think it'll be great, I just need to get my house built before I will be able to dedicate a lot of time to it. You'll be the first to know when I get it kicked off, sound good? Rex

I have sheets of rubber under my power hammers. No problem yet. Although they do rock a little in use.

ernie

I have sheets of rubber under my power hammers. No problem yet. Although they do rock a little in use.

ernie

Ernie,
Is your slab standard 4" slab? And when you say Power hammer , I'm assuming a Little Giant?
Also how is your slab reinforced, fiber or re-bar?

Last edited:
I have my 155 Big Blu Max on a 4" slab, have been running it there for 5 years and I have no cracks. Rather than putting rubber under the hammer use a good adhesive silicone caulk under it and then you have a BIG hammer. The whole floor becomes part of the mass. I did have a problem of the 500 pound anvil walking around due to the vibration so I cut through the concrete with a masonry saw to isolate the hammer then filled the saw kurf with silicone caulk. BTW don't do this if you want to move the hammer around.

Actually I had a dirt floor and I didn't want the hammer to sink so Mixed up some dirtcrete and poured a base 6 or 8" with no reinforcement for the 100 lb little Giant. Later I poured a 4 " dirtcrete floor for the rest of the shop and moved in a 50 lb Meyer hammer. I don't recommend this approach but it is better than a dirt floor.

Barn stall rubber mat can be used to cushion the hammer. But Remember, it will burn, hot slag will start a small fire, so wear old boots and you can stomp it out. I have seen guys forge wearing shorts and flip flops, I put them in the same class as those who walk on burning coals.

ernie

MLazyB,
Yes John does build and sell these, he has been doing it for a long time, I'm not quite sure how many he has built, but it is a lot! To my knowledge he doesn't have a web site, but his phone number is 334-514-2254, his cell number is 334-315-0032, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind me giving his number out, just remember we are on Central time here and try not to call too late. He's an early riser which will make him an "earlier to bedder", I bet he would rather build 2 or more at a time than just 1 at a time, he's a super nice guy, and his shop is AMAZING!!!!!! I really should say SHOPS! He hs some serious balcksmithing talent, and makes some really nice tools as well, he's already asked my son if he wants to learn how to make tongs, which I will be getting in on that class! Thanks, Rex

Thanks Rex for the info. I will give him a call. I'm just looking at options right now. It may be a good excuse to make a road trip.

Thanks Again

Thanks Rex for the info. I will give him a call. I'm just looking at options right now. It may be a good excuse to make a road trip.

Thanks Again

LazyB,
Man you HAVE got to be desperate for a road trip to haul from Nevada to Alabama, I think one of your problems might be wanting to leave once you get here! Unless you come in the Summer! The humidity will have you running, screaming back to Nevada! I absolutely, LOVE DRY heat, cold too! It really does make a difference, if you're acclimated to Alabama, then go from here to the west, which I have done a couple of times. Come on down...err or over, and make sure you give me a holler (that means, call, in Southerneze) when you get here, might as well do some hammering while you're here!

It would be cool if you could schedule your hammer to be picked up after BLADE, and drop by and pick up your hammer on the way back, unless you're like me and can not wait!!! If you call John Wayne and explain to him where you live and tell him you want to pick yours up after BLADE, he might be willing to accommodate you, that is provided he can and if he can, he will. Being that he has just started building mine, he might be able to build both of them at the same time. (Mine is supposed to be ready for pick up the first week of June, around the 4th), but that would be his call, of course. I don't know how he works or if he even does build more than one at a time.

If you're ready for him to build yours, AND are planning on coming to BLADE, I'd say give him a call and see if he can do it. For the money, I don't think it can be beat, sure, I would LOVE a 25, 50 or even bigger Little Giant, but their location and prices are a bit OUT of my range. The PRICE, PLUS the simplicity of the Tire Hammer makes it so much more desirable for me, if something was to break on it, the parts are readily available from the scrapyard or the hardware store. Hope you get it worked out, Thanks, Rex

Back