Walrus ivory

David Roeder

What's the the process for dyeing ivory or bone, and for ivory, is that detrimental to the value of the ivory ? I have a large piece of Walrus. 4 5/8"x 3 1/4"x almost 2" and it's about as white as a 1950's refrigerator.

I have a vaccume chamber to do the job if needed, but I am just wondering if that's nesesarry or is it something I just lock away for something special.

Personally, I wouldn't dye any ivory.

Are you sure of it's history? Pure white walrus ivory could be asking for problems from the feds. I might save that for something personal.

To date I haven't seen any dyed ivory. I have several pistols with ivory grips and couple of knives with ivory handles. I personally would not add dyed ivory pieces to my collection. That being said you could dyed it but, I believe most folks wanting ivory are looking for the traditional look of it.

I also have a kinda white looking piece of hippo which I'm saving to see if with age it get a little better color.

As far as a dye I wouldn't,you can age it and give it a patina by soaking it in strong tea or coffee and depending on how strong and how long will determin the shade and darkness.

David, I'm no expert but I have died walrus ivory a couple times. I had a couple piece of fossil walrus ivory that had very little color. What color there was was a slight tan on one side and thought what better pieces to try. Been thinking about dying ivory for a while and gave it a try. Had no idea as to how to do it so I just put it in straight oil base leather dye and let it soak. It soaked over night and when I removed it from the dye I about fell over. The color was amazing! I did find out that some ivory will not accept coloring. I would suggest doing a test piece and see if it will work. Here's my two examples. http://www.hawknknives.com/knives/_popup-knife-IvoryHandledHunter.html http://www.hawknknives.com/knives/_popup-knife-SeductivePersuasion-2.html

Has anyone tried Potassium Promanganate?
I've dyed Cow Bone, Elk, Stag, and a few random acquired pieces that "look" like Stag, but I would not be able to verify that, it all turned out great! But I did soak mine for a lot longer than Raymond did, like about 10 days on the average, I have not seen any problems with doing it that long other than if you're in a hurry and need the piece faster. Also, I would imagine that it probably doesn't take that long I was mostly experimenting with different pieces, they all turned out satisfactory to my eye. Using the Pot Prom, is the generally accepted way to get the highly prized Amber coloring in Stag, as well as anything else you dye with it. My cow bone looked great, but like Raymond mentioned about, "Some Ivory not taking color", there are several handle material type pieces that will resist taking color, for several different reasons, or it could be just 1! The known Stag piece I have, turned out Awesome!! As did the unknown stag looking pieces. There is one round that looks like stag that looks pretty good, all in all, I think its pretty easy, and I doubt it takes as long as I did mine, I actually forgot I had put it up. When I remembered it, several days had passed since I had put it in the mix. I always put the DATE and TIME on mine, because I know that I will not be able to recall when I put it up! Its a good habit to use!! I don't know if you could get it darker by soaking it longer or if it may turn out lighter if you soaked it for a shorter time, that would be something to ask the pros, or maybe research on line. I'm sure those answers can be found out there somewhere, all I do know is that its an easy, practically fool proof way of getting beautiful amber coloring on horn type material!

BTW, Potassium Promanganate is dangerous stuff, it's an oxidizer, highly flamable, and also used as a water softener, it can be bought at Sears, it's fairly cheap, and I think it's sold in like 20 pound bags! The amount I used for 1 to 4 pieces in a peanut butter jar is a little bit, I shake out just enough to watch the water turn purple! Yeah! PURPLE! I have no idea how this stuff that turns water a brilliant color of purple, makes stag turn a beautiful color of AMBER! It just does, that's all I know, hope this helps, Rex

One more thing, I wanted to add, is that those that have a vacuum system, maybe able to get better results than I did, I really wanted to make sure I got the color deep into the material, so that if I had to take some of the bone, stag, etc, off of it, the Amber coloring would be there, I have not used a piece yet, the pieces I have are really nice, to me, and I decided to save them for an equally nice knife, so that each piece will compliment the other. Hope this helps y'all, Rex

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the input. Well, for now it will just sit and maybe someday I'll come up with something special for it.

Back