Wassup for the weekend????

I spent the afternoon hauling stuff over to my new shop. I'm really excited that I now have a place to work day, night, rain, sleet, or snow. Now I just gotta get me some more lights and a heater. Been thinkin I might need to wire a small breaker box into the place too. If I overload the circuit with lights, heater, and a piece of equipment, the landloard might get a little irritated when I call him to come reset it at 0'dark-thirty. With my own breaker, I know that I've overloaded it and can reduce my use and reset it myself.

attachment.php

Coooool!!!!!2thumbs

I should of put some relish on the angle grinder. It would of cauterized your wound, then you wouldn't have ended in the ER, Right Scar. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!
Ya think? My guess is that HT relish would disolve the grinder before it cauterized his wound. ;):D

Yep on it being too miserable to be outside pounding on steel, IG! :eek: You folks got hammered, too.

We had Christmas here yesteday for the kids and grandkids that live close to here. Most of them will be in Florida during regular Christmas.

One of my customers got his shorthairs burned on some cheaper than cheap "stabilized wood" he bought on ebay. He wanted to order his own handle wood without knowing beans about wood and very little about real stabilizing. I'm making a Tanto for him and had it all figured out with mammoth ivory when he ran across the "great deal" on some wood. :mad:

That's one of the reasons we know how and where to shop for good material and know about what we have to pay for it. We also know whom to trust for great deals when they pop up.

A few years ago I bought some large rough stock over the net of what was to be Osage burl, considered burl by the seller. when I got it worked up at home, there was little burl and some great grained wood with a lot of plain Jane stuff. I came out OK but would have been screwed of I didn't take my time and being careful of how I worked up the wood. Actual burl was enough for two knives.

When I finally got the wood stabilized, I had a pretty hefty investment involved in what was a "great bargain".

I was gonna go snipe some treerats this weekend, but am running out of weekend.

You rascals stay warm and comfy!

Weather crapped so I just went shppong with wife and picked up shop supplies with some of Christmas gift cards I received from my lovely daughter. At least the stuff I bought didn't cost me anything. :D

Dang squirrels will live for another week, George. :eek:

I got paid last night for a pair of fillet knives with dyed and stabilized tiger maple handles. I sure like the finished wood but that wood sure messes up everything.

I use only stabilized wood now, have for some time. It ain't cheap to have stabilized but it sure takes the worry out of using wood and beating yourself up trying to finish it. The folks at WSSI are sure great and none better to do business with. I do buy some great stabilized burl from Gene Martin. Gene is for sure the guy you want to order stabilized wood from. 2thumbs

I just remembered I forgot to mail out those new mill end bits to Dave Larsen. I hope the big guy doesn't kick my butt for my poor memory next time I see him. I had 3 rounded up for him and laid out. Wife did some cleaning and one of the bits disappeared. :eek::eek::mad: Dave, I will have those other two bits in the mail this week. At least she didn't lose the carbide bit. :eek:

It's supposed to be about 40F or so today! I have to go to work early this afternoon, messes up what could have been a great shop afternoon. At least my usual 3 day weekend starts tomorrow.

I didn't get my coal forge lined while the weather was warm enough. Maybe I can move it into the basement and line it this winter. I have an extra big hand crank blower in good shape to build another one. You reckon I could find some shop elves to crank the blower, IG? You reckon they will work for food?

Squirrel hunting will have to wait until Sunday.

John Andrews;38339. You reckon I could find some shop elves to crank the blower said:
I do not think the Elves eat Fried Treerats even if you served it with mace. (The spray not the spice) HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!

Last edited:
Looks like keeping warm is all that I will be doing this weekend and maybe shoveling snow too. shkn
It's 10 degrees here today with a with chill -1. Burrrrrrrrhuh1

Boy!!!! 13" of snow and still counting.cry me a river 1
:eek: :( NOT GOOD, IG! We got about 1 1/2", enough for us!

I have to finish those fillet knives today, am going out and crank up the kerosene shop heater pretty soon. I hit the coffee pot at 5:30 this morning, wife had fresh pot already waiting.

Maybe I can bribe her into thawing out some squirrels to fry for dinner. Sure beats those bottom feeders! ;):D

I reckon you will spend a lot of today just digging out, George. Good thing you got that nice new truck that gets aound in the stuff.

My ol' Tundra gets around pretty good in the snow without sandbags in the bed.

I have to be able to get to work or else someone else probably gets forced to work a double shift.

Our patrol vehicle fleet includes only one 4X4, so we have sandbags in the other GVT ford truck beds. Our Ford patrol cars have rear wheel drive and are really limited.

Ice storms and whiteouts are our worst worry, naturally. Our installation leaders have cut way back on snow and ice removal, and have gone cheap on applying sand and salt. :(

:eek: :( NOT GOOD, IG! We got about 1 1/2", enough for us!

Maybe I can bribe her into thawing out some squirrels to fry for dinner. Sure beats those bottom feeders! ;):D

I reckon you will spend a lot of today just digging out, George. Good thing you got that nice new truck that gets around in the stuff.

:(
Hey!!!! You got to dig out the Treerats from a snowbank????:confused::confused::D No fridge in the Tepee???? HEHEHEHHEHE!!!

Yowza, just got in from removing snow. Been at it since around 7AM. It was still snowing when I ran the tractor/snowthrower and shovel, but at that time it was already over a foot with drifts over 4 feet. Went back and did it again around 11AM when the snow was letting up.

After all of that, my Brother called, he just got back from the ER with a nasty case of pneumonia and bronkitis. My brother Rob usually takes care of the snow removal at my folks house, but with him down for the count, I had to go over my parents and take care of it.

Have a nice rest of the weekend.

Well tomorrow, will finally get over 40 here.2thumbs Have a few Bubba's coming over. Gary Rua, Paul Sabin and Ron Rocha. I'll be forging up a Bowie with 1095 or W-2. The W-2 I still have to cut, but I need to fix my big bandsaw first. The other guys will be doing Damascus. Also take my new speed controlled motor on my Singer Sewing Machine for a ride. HEHEHEHEHE!!!
Merry X'mas2thumbs Y'all have a good one.ride safedancing dog

Hey!!!! You got to dig out the Treerats from a snowbank????:confused::confused::D No fridge in the Tepee???? HEHEHEHHEHE!!!
Yep, got fridge and everything, George! :D We got another about 4" of the stuff, so I tried out the snowblower I recently bought. Worked good, sure did cut down on the time and work.

Y'all dug out after that big blizzard, folks?

Maybe treerats get sniped next weekend. Wife and I hit a couple of stores and ran errands today without seeing any squirrels out. I would have wasted my time going hunting.

You folks be real careful and stay safe out there on those slick roads and bad weather. Hey, if you are going to IG's today, pelt him real good with snowballs for me. :D

Hey, if you are going to IG's today, pelt him real good with snowballs for me. :D

Yesterday my hands gave out when forge a Bowie out of 5160JD. Good thing Gary was here to finish up for me.2thumbs Also have one out of 1095.;)
It's in the 50's today so I'll be drawing out the tangs with my press.:D
You Ole Injun, if you come by I'll will not be throwing any snowballs at you. But what I will be throwing is related to my dogs. HEHEHEHEHE!!!!

Back