Wassup for the weekend????

My son will drive any distances to go hunting. He is a hunting junkie.:D
That's good to hear, George!

I fired up the kerosene heater in the shop, am waiting for it to heat up. It was about +01F in there. I have to AcraGlas some stabilized Osage orange scales on a hunter and start the layout of a CPM420V guthook today. I have some other hunters to start, but I have plenty of time for those.

I had to cram as usual this year to get Christmas orders done. Y'all know how that is, going to get Christmas orders done well ahead of time. :rolleyes::eek:

Also today, I have to go buy another fuel funnel for filling my heater. Last one got stolen along with about 20 gallons of fuel and a heater out of my other locked shop building. :mad:

I might as well snag another bandsaw blade while I'm there, seeing as how I got in a hurry when I was cutting excess wood off one of the two Christmas order knife handles. Wood bandsaw blades don't like knife tangs.

Boy!!!! I didn't know that You Ole Redskin You. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!
It's sounds like you may have some Portagge blood in you too.
:haha:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I don't think so, but a fella would think so! :D

I'm glad that's the only dumb thing I've done in the shop. Well, maybe for a while, anyhow. :D

We have several dogs, one being a mild mannered female Bassett. She follows me everywhere. I tried her out as a shop buddy. She was great. That is, until she left the shop and left black footprints and a big dirty butt print on my wife's freshly shampooed diningroom carpet. :bud: :running dog:

Dang, those short female Cherokees have a temper! :eek::rolleyes: :D

I am already to start partying for my B'Day. 2guns Try to get this new Lil Lady to go with us.:eek: Boy!!!! She would be a flower among all the thorns, that are riding with me. HEHEHEHEHE!!

Party Saturday

Come celebrate my B'Day with me at.
The Hour Bar
1193 Main Street
West Warwick, RI

Jan. 9, 2010 from 9:30 PM till 1:00AM

The Lightnin' Brothers band will be playing. It's The BBBBB Beaver's band.2thumbs

Looks like it will be in the 40's starting tomorrow and into the weekend.bouncewow1dancing dog I'll be slice a mosaic billet today and welding it tomorrow. Saturday be forging.cool 1

Last edited:
I hope that goes well for you, George! How went the birthday bash? I bet you fellas had a grand time.

George would be a cheap date for a gal. Two drinks and he's face down on the bar. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wife is in the hospital again, went in Thursday. I had to call 911 and have an ambulance take her. It's her heart again. They put another stent in her heart yesterday, I think # 18. She's in her early 50's and has had serious heart trouble since she was 45.

She gets to come home today, whenever the docs get off their butts and release her.

I did get some shop work done because I took a couple of days off work and mixed shop work with being with my wife at the hospital.

You fellas have a grand weekend and George, don't catch your shirttail on fire. :running dog: I bet it's going to be some awesome steel, George! 2thumbs

Thanks, George!
I got her home yesterday evening and getting back to normal. She's doing pretty good. She just rolled some smokes for me with her tabletop machine, 5 packs. She had a fresh pot of coffee brewed when I got up this morning. I think she wanted to get home so she could spoil me some more. :D

She says, "Hi, George"! She also asked me why I call you rascal. I will be glad to explain that to her. :rolleyes::D

I'm going to eat breakfast, put wife's new license tag on her auto license plate, then fire up the shop heater. I have another stabilized Osage orange handled hunter to finish, have to work down the handle and bolsters and then just a little buffing to finish before my sheath maker does his art.

I had a bunch of Osage stabilized and am going through it pretty fast. I'm going to have to get out and cut some more and dry it. I'm going to cut some Osage hawk handles and some walking staffs, too.

My shop and also my storage building have lofts that work great for drying areas. I have been having pretty good luck drying wood without checking.

I still have some big oak burl, three big chunks probably weighing 150 pounds, and some big walnut root to work up with the chainsaw, work it down to workable pieces. The big piece of walnut weighs probably 200 pounds or so. The walnut is drying on the storage shed floor, too heavy to move above to the loft.

I have a customer that gave me the oak burl. He wants some of it on a hunter I'm going to build for him. He says he used to play on the tree the wood came from. It's a lot of work for one knife!

I am glad she is doing well. Give her a big hug and kiss for me You Ole Injun You.;):D
That's sure is allot of handle material. 2thumbs
I had the new student over yesterday and he made up a billet of cable Damascus. Also had Gary Rua doing a forging demo, he forge out a Bowie out of W-2. Todd left here with a big smile on his face. :D

Thanks, George!
Hey, I'm sure glad you fellas had a great time. That W2 forges pretty hard?

Did you fellas use your press on that cable, or did he pound it out?

Welded it up by hand and it was drawn out with the press. The W-2 will be another collaboration between Gary and me.:D I have two 1084 hunter to finish too, all from demo that Gary has done.;)

I guess I'll be heading to Wa..Wa..Wally's solo tomorrow. I called Kook an hour ago and asked him if he wanted to make the run to IG's, Kook had carpal tunnel sugery last week and he's recovering well. At first he didn't want to go, but after we were talking for a time, he asked me what time I was leaving for Wa..Wa..Wally's house. I told him around 8 AM, and he was changing his mind when I heard Marleen (his wife/boss) in the background telling him he wasn't going anywhere. Marleen has been hauling in the firewoos since the operation, so Kook had no choice in the matter about stay home and "resting" :eek:.

Wally, do you need anything from that Portagee bakery down the road from my house tomorrow?

I have a fella coming by today that has been wanting to make himself a couple of knives. I gave him a couple of of hunter blanks I cut out, one D2 and one O1. He's been filing and messing with them for several months and shows up once in a while to get advice, ect.

He's doing pretty good, actually. I also drew the lines on the profiled blanks for the bevels, etc.

He's doing a flat grind and hand filing the rest of the steel removal.

He got laid off Jan 1 and needs something to fill in his time. I can't think of a better way to kill time unless it's a good looking blonde gal handy, or someone else like her. ;):D

I sure hope Kook gets well soon and his wife cuts him loose to circulate with you rascals.

Abe, my old for real hermit pal sheath maker, called last night and is headed this way this AM to pick up a hunter I finished yesterday.

He messes with a little knife making and I have some stabilized handle wood he needs. I can see a good trade going to come out of it. Abe does pretty good for what resources he has. He used to do some gunsmithing and was a pretty good gunstock maker in his time. He sells what knives he makes, filling in for his Social Security income.

He also buys his firewood here in town and I help him load up a pickup load. Being in his 70's, he has slowed down a lot in the past few years. I'll be 65 next month and am slowing down a tad, too. :eek:

When Abe heads back home today, I'll be heading back to the shop to plug away.

Shop is so dang cluttered up that I have to do some straightening up before I get started doing much today. When I had the two shop buildings built, I was so proud of all the room. It didn't take long to fill both to overflowing. :eek:

Back