Welding lines in the billet

gearhartironwerks

Hi,
Today I welded a 'W' pattern billet, turned 90 deg and drew it out. Upon etching to see the pattern, I have lighter colored weld lines between the layers of the final weld. The fit up was good, the mill scale was ground, and the weld is good as well. Technically, it's a good billet except for the visual lines between the layers of the final weld.
My question is how to eliminate those lines? Do I need to run the billet thru the surface grinder first? Your help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
www.gearhartironwerks.com

Most guys will grind off the decarb layer with an angle grinder before folding again or you are going to get that line showing up.

If you're "wet welding" (meaning using flux) you're always going to get those lines.....it's a product of the flux interacting with the steel. About the only way they can be totally eliminated is the "dry weld" (sealed container such as we use in "can" welding, or MIG weld all the seams and then forge weld.....leaving yourself enough material to grind out ALL the MIG material after the billet is forge welded.

Hmmm, I guess I knew this was going to be the answer, and a pita it will be as it slows down the process. I'll tig the next billet as that will hopefully minimize the material waste. On another forum, Brian T suggested welding with kerosene for the final weld. I haven't had much success with that method, but will try again.
Thanks for the responses and the help. I'll post a pic asap.
John
www.gearhartironwerks.com

Hydrocarbon welds are effective, if the time is taken to perform the steps needed to assure the weld. Clean all surfaces to shiny, weld the billet not just on the ends but down the sides as well. If the pieces move during heat up it will crack the carbon canister. Hydrocarbon welds a little cooler as well, 2250 fh. I have used hydro carbon for a year and a half and have found it to be a very reliable technique.
PM me if you have questions, Fred

Back