What carbon steel?

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I am almost ready to start working on a knife for my brother and he wants it to be made from a high carbon steel and not stainless.

It will be a hunting/camp knife and I am thinking either 3/16'' or 1/4'' thick.

What would be the best steel to use? I am looking for strong, somewhat easy to sharpen, and hold an razor sharp edge the longest.

thanks for any help

You'll get as many answers as there are makers :D. I choose precision-ground Starrett O1, hands down. It has all the proerties you mention and is also a dream to work with.

Earnie,

Boy you will get a recommendation for probably every carbon steel there is, LOL

IMHO 5160 would be a good choice for a camp knife

Josh

Thanks so far guys, I know there will be a broad spectrum of answers. I am just trying to get a general consensus on the best steel to use.

What are the opinions on w2?
I just read the worlds best steel thread and got a lot of info, Just looking for a little more :)

I want this knife to be really good to make my bro happy :) it will be used for just about everything.

How big of a blade will it have? If you think it will be uzed alot for chopping, 5160 might be the best choice though 1095 and W-2 will both be great as well with a differential HT.

I figure quite a bit, he will be using it for camping, hiking, and hunting.
So Yeah it will be used to chop alot.

Any of the above steels will work well. 1095 is a good steel but O1 will hold an edge slightly better than 1095. Also I have had less problems with warpage in O1 than 1095. I love 1095 but it is a pretty "warpy" steel.

Personally I would pick O1 if your goal is edge retention and 5160 if the knife will see a lot of chopping/possible abuse. The added alloys help them perform better than straight carbon steels like the 10xx series....but the 10xx series will get better hamon lines (not sure if thats a possible concern).

With that said any of the steels mentioned so far will work fine and 99% of the population wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

If he wants a cool lookin patine, I hear O1 turns a beautifull blue if you etch it with an onion.

I have used 52100, 1084, 15N20, W2 and O1. I must admit that O1 has given me the best edge and is the easiest to work with.

ernie

With that said any of the steels mentioned so far will work fine and 99% of the population wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

That's really the best answer of all. All these steels polish up nicely, will take a nice patina, are tough, can take a very sharp edge and are easy to care for. You can easily draw back the temper on the spine/tang on any of them. In all honesty the only real difference is the shallow-hardening ones will take a hamon. That doesn't mean beans to me so assuming the HT is decent, I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them.

I still like O1 the best though. :)

Last edited:
Whatever steel you choose just remember a blade with a proper heat treatment will out perform a blade with a poor heat treatment. For a chopper, I would look at something with less than 75 points of carbon for aditional toughness but still proper heat treatment is more important than steel sellection.

Doug Lester

Back