What does a "Mississippi Riverboat Gamblers dagger" look like?

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I cant find any examples on the tube. You guys that surf the web more than I please show some examples here. Need some help.

From what I know gamblers daggers were small concealable daggers either fixed blade with handle or a push dagger style knives that were able to be pulled quickly to kill or injure and opponent during a game.

Before the development of reliable small pistols such as the derringer, the push dagger was especially popular among riverboat gamblers (from wikipedia)

Bruce,

When I think of a Gamblers Dagger concealability is the #1 requirement. For me this turns me away from thinking of any of the Sheffield style daggers with cross guards or anything in a "belt" size length.

I also think a gambler worth a salt would have something spectacular ! Bolsters for a nice engraving canvas and maybe some gold inlay and pearl scales would fit the bill nicey IMHO.

Here's a gamblers dagger I made for a fella's Doc Holiday cowboy action shooting persona-

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?5374-My-latest-Dagger

I'm getting excited at the mere suggestion of a BB Gamblers Special !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

-Josh

Thanks Dogs! all interesting links but it looks like I'm going to have to take something from each one and make my own. I'll post it here when its done.

I can't wait to see your interpretation. I thought of the bottom knife when you asked for "River Boat Gambler"

msknives.jpg

When I think "river boat gambler"I get push dagger.highly ornate.Bruce you do great "Highly Ornate":biggrin:
Stan

Josh, I actually stared at your dagger in a Google search and didn't put it together that you were the maker. :)

Bruce,

When I think of a Gamblers Dagger concealability is the #1 requirement. For me this turns me away from thinking of any of the Sheffield style daggers with cross guards or anything in a "belt" size length.

I also think a gambler worth a salt would have something spectacular ! Bolsters for a nice engraving canvas and maybe some gold inlay and pearl scales would fit the bill nicey IMHO.

Here's a gamblers dagger I made for a fella's Doc Holiday cowboy action shooting persona-

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?5374-My-latest-Dagger

I'm getting excited at the mere suggestion of a BB Gamblers Special !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

-Josh

I like that a lot, Josh. Clean lines.

fred, actually this one is close to what I was thinking especially the round handle and blade. The guard will be shorter.

If I were to make this again, it would have a smaller more ovoid guard, or no guard, with the blade backed up against the ferrell.

Are you going to flat grind or hollow grind the blade?

I hear ya, there doesnt need to be much of a ricasso except I like to put my logo there. A smallish oval guard but a round handle like you have. My handle will be rounded off mostly because it will have 2 sets of dice inside that dump out the pommel. One set will be loaded (weighted) as a nice conversation piece. I guess Utube has "how to" on loaded dice. Gotta go check that out.
Hollow ground for sure.
If I were to make this again, it would have a smaller more ovoid guard, or no guard, with the blade backed up against the ferrell.

Are you going to flat grind or hollow grind the blade?

Last edited:
The ones ive seen are knives that are concieled in the boot they are not large knives and some ive seen had a fully enclosed finger gaurd and like fred said very decked out. Good luck trying to find pictures I seen some on tv a few years ago. Kellyw

Back