what is your EDC knife?

How come no one carries one they made? Interesting, huh?
That's a great point, and the reason I finally started making folders. A long time ago, somebody made the point that as a knifemaker it doesn't really say much if the guy who makes knives doesn't carry his own. Well, that stung a little bit. But the reality is that a whole lot of makers, being normal people, feel a bit odd carrying a big hunting knife or a bowie everywhere they go if that's what they make.

Before I made folders I carried one of my favorite little knives that I sell, which is a shameless near-copy of Murray Carter's "Perfect Neck Knife". I didn't exactly rip him off, though. He sells a book with patterns in the back so I used his pattern and tweaked it. And honestly, it's the perfect little EDC fixed blade in my opinion. A lot of people aren't into neck knives, though, so I started making leather sheaths for them. It's still my go-to where real work is concerned because fishing in your pocket 99 times a day with grubby hands sucks and I seriously hate pocket clips. A belt knife is so much better suited to real work.

I carry one of my own knives patterned off of (but not really resembling) Murray Carter's Classic Necker on my belt. Used it to skin my first buck a couple weeks ago! I mainly stick around my own place, so I don't have to worry about people looking at me funny for wearing a belt knife. I used to carry a little Leatherman, after that an old Buck 304 or something of that sort, but I seem to have a problem with losing folders out of my pocket so I enjoy the fixed blade. Sometime I'll have to make myself a folder for when I need a less conspicuous knife. I believe that if you make knives, at least those that you sell to other people as EDC's you should carry them yourself, at least some of the time.

That's a great point, and the reason I finally started making folders. A long time ago, somebody made the point that as a knifemaker it doesn't really say much if the guy who makes knives doesn't carry his own. Well, that stung a little bit. But the reality is that a whole lot of makers, being normal people, feel a bit odd carrying a big hunting knife or a bowie everywhere they go if that's what they make.

Before I made folders I carried one of my favorite little knives that I sell, which is a shameless near-copy of Murray Carter's "Perfect Neck Knife". I didn't exactly rip him off, though. He sells a book with patterns in the back so I used his pattern and tweaked it. And honestly, it's the perfect little EDC fixed blade in my opinion. A lot of people aren't into neck knives, though, so I started making leather sheaths for them. It's still my go-to where real work is concerned because fishing in your pocket 99 times a day with grubby hands sucks and I seriously hate pocket clips. A belt knife is so much better suited to real work.
Amen for the belt knafs!

Hands down my favorite EDC. slim little frame lock. Elmax is the shiznit.

16E57E3D-537E-4164-96F5-AAD779B7ABB9.jpeg

FFKmL8E.jpg

My everyday/shop carry. Hangs upside down from a micro carabiner hooked to my belt loop. Was a knife gone wrong. ;-)

This sucker has been back to Oregon city a couple times since I got it In 2008, took it to Iraq and it served me well, when I came home I stopped by the factory and they put a new blade and stuff in it (did some bad attempted sharpening on the deployment” she’s been a loyal companion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
I'm late to the party....but I carry one I made. Of course there are flaws/errors in it, which is exactly why I kept it. Would never offer it for sale, and since it's flawed, it gives me added incentive to NOT let somebody buy it out of my pocket. :)

It's my new Model 7 Ultralight in "Split Personality" format..... One side tactical, and the other side "dress". This was actually the prototype.

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

I carry these two everyday. I've been a long time fan of CRKT for years. Just got this folder earlier this year. Super smooth opening action, easy one hand close. And it holds a nice edge.

We have a young woman who is like a daughter to us, whose dad is a knifemaker. The fixed blade is his. The Ogre! I made a kydex sheath for it, and it tucks down in my front pocket nicely, with maybe 3" of handle exposed. I carry that one for only one reason...They won't let me carry a gun at work, and I ain't going out empty handed.
20201220_214707.jpg

I have two. The little black one is currently the one that is always in my pocket and the red one is on my belt when I am working in the yard, around the house, at Scout camp, etc.
Swiss Army knife - The Original Multi-tool!

IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1339.jpg

victorinox swiss army - don't know model - it has 8 or 9 blades and gets used often also a little ontario rat II in back pocket.

I sold the last folder that I made so know I carry an Ontario Shikra or a Victorinox (has a pliers) and mostly a Ganzo Firebird. Hopefully I can start making folders again after Christmas.

Back