What's going on in your shop?

Gonna have a go at making my first hidden tang knife and my first bowie. I ground the primary bevels into the blade then ran 3x normalizing cycles followed by quenching in 125 degree vegetable oil and then into a 400 degree oven. I will temper 2x at 400 degrees for two hours then final grind.

Attachments

• 1C31AE51-563E-4389-AE4D-E8225CB235A8.jpeg
    1C31AE51-563E-4389-AE4D-E8225CB235A8.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 19
Overheated the edge right when I switched to a 400 grit belt

Don't give up on it quite yet! How far up the bevel did it get hot, and what color did the steel turn. How much thickness do you still have at the edge? If you still have thickness it's possible to just heat it up to austenization temp and quench again. If not, you can always change the blade shape to work around the soft spot. Maybe a good time to practice your first recurve! There are never failures, usually just changes in plans :)

Just finished this one.

Paper Mache (my made up name) Sanmai damascus blade, pocket clip and back bar Nitre blue salt colored
The core is 1084 the clad metals are: w1, a2, mild, 01 and nickel powder and foil.
High layer count damascus turned pivot collars and thumb stud Nitre blue salt colored
Engraved with gold inlay
File worked liners
Carbon Fiber Blue shred scales
Floating back bar
Anodized titanium pivot heads and screws

TracyMickley-Folder-12192019-JSmith-B~1250x1500.jpg

Don't give up on it quite yet! How far up the bevel did it get hot, and what color did the steel turn. How much thickness do you still have at the edge? If you still have thickness it's possible to just heat it up to austenization temp and quench again. If not, you can always change the blade shape to work around the soft spot. Maybe a good time to practice your first recurve! There are never failures, usually just changes in plans :)
I’ll post a pic tonight, watching my boy wrestle a tourney today. It turned dycam blue, scary fast, I was trying to work the edge down gently. My grind lines were where I wanted and I needed to bring the edge down at least .030 still, I’m grinding 100% freehand so...

Just finished this one.

Paper Mache (my made up name) Sanmai damascus blade, pocket clip and back bar Nitre blue salt colored
The core is 1084 the clad metals are: w1, a2, mild, 01 and nickel powder and foil.
High layer count damascus turned pivot collars and thumb stud Nitre blue salt colored
Engraved with gold inlay
File worked liners
Floating back bar

View attachment 71325
Absolutely beautiful. Great job!

Just finished this one.

Engraved with gold inlay
File worked liners
Floating back bar

View attachment 71325
That's gorgeous!

Just finished this one.

Engraved with gold inlay
File worked liners
Floating back bar

View attachment 71325
That's a tricked out looking folder there Boss, well done!

Attachments

• B73E00D9-4503-4B6C-961D-9DC2409C4B7A.jpeg
    B73E00D9-4503-4B6C-961D-9DC2409C4B7A.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 24
Back