What's going on in your shop?

Up at work for a few more days and were in a blow,if you have ever worked in prudhoe bay you know what I'm talking about,rebuilt a bunch of valves this morning due to the fact that my scheduled run was canceled, looking forward to going home and getting back to work in the forge, when I left I had just welded up this hawk with a 1084 bit and want th o get it done and i have a small frame handle Bowie to complete. View attachment 72450
That’s gonna be a very nice hawk. Being a southern boy I have no idea what a “blow” is but it doesn’t sound like fun. Be careful up there. :)

holey crap is that hard to do that clean. Nice job.

Thanks Tracy. You're right....checkering isn't easy. It makes my neck/back hurt, strains my eyes and hurts my hands.

I'm not too proud to say that I actually started this with a walnut handle but totally botched it by being in a rush and too heavy handed. I had some bad over runs and crossed rows. I maybe could have saved it but it was starting to look like a mediocre repair job and I don't operate that way.

I started over the next day on a new handle which was very difficult to do when I wanted to just throw the whole knife in the trash. I grabbed a block of ironwood with nice grain with the intention of doing the checkering again, just making a nice handle with good colors and figure.

But I've successfully checkered handles in the past and didn't want to quit because I got knocked down so I decided to checker the ironwood too. Ironwood adds a whole new difficulty to checkering but took my time and it turned out pretty well.

I really like your checkering blade handles and holding fixture. Oh, the checkering ain't TOO bad either!

Thanks Bruce. Yeah the checkering tools come with an absurdly long handle and neck, in my opinion. Holding the handles, you were literally 6-8" away from your work. Not near enough control in my opinion. So I shortened them considerably.

Thanks Bruce. Yeah the checkering tools come with an absurdly long handle and neck, in my opinion. Holding the handles, you were literally 6-8" away from your work. Not near enough control in my opinion. So I shortened them considerably.
I agree with you. The supplied handles are way too long. I use an optivisor also. Do you cut your own blades?

I agree with you. The supplied handles are way too long. I use an optivisor also. Do you cut your own blades?

I wear 2 power reading glasses. I've made a few cutters that work decent but the stock store bought ones cut better for me......once I learned how to use them. There's a learning curve for sure.

Back