What's going on in your shop?

Finally finished up my etching unit tonight. Thank you to those who put plans online!
What a mess!
XWehjGC.jpg

First mark was claiming the unit as my own.
HoIjeiS.jpg

Now to clean up a stack of heat treated blades so I can put it to use.
SeRNCrF.jpg

Chris
Nice job chris! Any chance you would be willing to pass on the plans to me?

It’s been some time since I posted a finished knife. I’ve been mostly out of commission since about Thanksgiving. Feels great to be in the shop again.

This is one of a 3-knife set. It has been a challenge. The design and some of the elements were a collaborative effort with the customer. The overall design isn’t totally the way I’d have gone with it, but he’s been a good friend for twenty years and I wanted to give him what he wanted.

The hamon / hardening line is very basic. I have a lot to learn in this area, not only with how the clay application will result in the geometry of the line- but how then to develop the activity in that line during etching. It really gives me a deep appreciation for the level of artistry and craftsmanship that guys like John Doyle exhibit.

The handle is Elk antler and olive wood. Of the three knives, this one was the toughest. The customer sent me one large antler and my mission was to get three matching handles out of it. Due to the size and shape of the handle that wasn’t possible, so I went with a 2-piece design to make the most of the antler I had. The liners are G10. Each knife got a specific color liner, chosen by the customer.

The blade is 1075 and the design was a wishlist he gave me. Brut de Forge, visible hammer marks, thumb ramp, harpoon point, hamon.

All in all, I’m happy with how it turned out. The customer is overjoyed, which is what matters to me.

Attachments

• A4C9679E-E475-4F85-AA6A-F04F37B4EC1E.jpeg
    A4C9679E-E475-4F85-AA6A-F04F37B4EC1E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 582033C0-D781-4A26-9C2F-2E0AB23EC9FB.jpeg
    582033C0-D781-4A26-9C2F-2E0AB23EC9FB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • FD36A0E7-4370-4262-8C1C-25EDCBF717EC.jpeg
    FD36A0E7-4370-4262-8C1C-25EDCBF717EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
It’s been some time since I posted a finished knife. I’ve been mostly out of commission since about Thanksgiving. Feels great to be in the shop again.

This is one of a 3-knife set. It has been a challenge. The design and some of the elements were a collaborative effort with the customer. The overall design isn’t totally the way I’d have gone with it, but he’s been a good friend for twenty years and I wanted to give him what he wanted.

The hamon / hardening line is very basic. I have a lot to learn in this area, not only with how the clay application will result in the geometry of the line- but how then to develop the activity in that line during etching. It really gives me a deep appreciation for the level of artistry and craftsmanship that guys like John Doyle exhibit.

The handle is Elk antler and olive wood. Of the three knives, this one was the toughest. The customer sent me one large antler and my mission was to get three matching handles out of it. Due to the size and shape of the handle that wasn’t possible, so I went with a 2-piece design to make the most of the antler I had. The liners are G10. Each knife got a specific color liner, chosen by the customer.

The blade is 1075 and the design was a wishlist he gave me. Brut de Forge, visible hammer marks, thumb ramp, harpoon point, hamon.

All in all, I’m happy with how it turned out. The customer is overjoyed, which is what matters to me.
Beautiful work John!

Been busy in the shop and haven't had a chance to take pix or post them. I have an order of 7 for a client and then a couple that I've been working on. I almost have the 7th knife complete. Then the leather work starts.....

These are the ones I've been working on, the first is a kitchen knife I just finished up - AEBL, Stainless bolsters w/accents, California Claro Walnut.

The Skinner is 440c, Brass Bolsters, Stabilized/Dyed Maple burl accent, and Kingwood scales.

Image000001.jpg
Image000002.jpg
Image00001.jpg

Been busy in the shop and haven't had a chance to take pix or post them. I have an order of 7 for a client and then a couple that I've been working on. I almost have the 7th knife complete. Then the leather work starts.....

These are the ones I've been working on, the first is a kitchen knife I just finished up - AEBL, Stainless bolsters w/accents, California Claro Walnut.

The Skinner is 440c, Brass Bolsters, Stabilized/Dyed Maple burl accent, and Kingwood scales.

View attachment 72865
View attachment 72867
View attachment 72866
Very nice!

Great work John.

Making another axe, trying the same materials and refining my technique got the eye slotted and started drifting already, it’s going a lot faster than last time

Attachments

• 84C3DECD-C3D3-42A5-B111-C1A0A4B6D9F2.jpeg
    84C3DECD-C3D3-42A5-B111-C1A0A4B6D9F2.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 7
  • A78F63EF-B07B-4E19-9B46-4651D8257D28.jpeg
    A78F63EF-B07B-4E19-9B46-4651D8257D28.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 7
Back