What's going on in your shop?

Got busy and hand finished/polished a couple of the Damascus hammers.......
IMG-4631.jpg

AND..... Got them Hot Blued!
IMG-4632.jpg

Now to finish them out with clear Gun-Kote, and decide on what handle material to use. (The will be "looker" hammers, because of the nickel 200 used in the Damascus.....but I have another hammer of 1080/15N20 on the bench that still needs hand finishing/etching....and that one will be usable.)

Ed looks like he’s having too much fun with those air rifles! I’m taking a little break from knives this afternoon too and working on a long term project. Building a Stratocaster from a kit. Almost have it smooth enough for paint. Paint color will be 57 chevy turquoise with a pearl white pick guard. Should look pretty good.

2D312F93-0720-41D8-9C37-726CEEE0879C.jpeg

Got busy and hand finished/polished a couple of the Damascus hammers.......
IMG-4631.jpg

AND..... Got them Hot Blued!
IMG-4632.jpg

Now to finish them out with clear Gun-Kote, and decide on what handle material to use. (The will be "looker" hammers, because of the nickel 200 used in the Damascus.....but I have another hammer of 1080/15N20 on the bench that still needs hand finishing/etching....and that one will be usable.)
Amazing. I would feel bad using a hammer that nice.

Is that kiss mark on your thumb thingy from that too? Looks ouchie!
Yeah. Just a little nick. Was drilling pin holes in a set of handle scales and using a piece of oak 4x4 for backing. Something went wonky and the whole shebang was spinning. Luckily I hit the switch before it went through my wife's windshield!

With 6 inches of snow coming I decided to work on a year old project. Trying to get the fluted guards matched without having John here to fix it for me when I screw it up is somewhat nerve wracking.
20200411_090823_copy_864x1152.jpg20200411_094444_copy_864x1152.jpg

Hey Ty.... the easy way to do that is to make yourself a guide..... just a couple pieces of steel (mild is fine) with a hole drilled through the center of both....and a bolt that fits through the guard/ferrule slot..... the steel will keep the PROPER sized file dead centered.....

IMG-4639.jpg

IMG-4640.jpg

IMG-4641.jpg

This is a great tip, thanks Ed!

Ed looks like he’s having too much fun with those air rifles! I’m taking a little break from knives this afternoon too and working on a long term project. Building a Stratocaster from a kit. Almost have it smooth enough for paint. Paint color will be 57 chevy turquoise with a pearl white pick guard. Should look pretty good.

View attachment 72817

Cool! I've given SERIOUS thought to building a guitar.....but mine would definitely be acoustic. My dad has a pretty well equipped wood shop.

Cool! I've given SERIOUS thought to building a guitar.....but mine would definitely be acoustic. My dad has a pretty well equipped wood shop.
I would love to build an acoustic too. Building one from scratch would be a huge undertaking with all the fixtures and jigs needed. I’ll play around with kits for awhile and see where that leads. :)

Back