What's going on in your shop?

This is what is on my bench, these two need to be heat treated, top is ATS 34 with bone next is a Loveless copy in 440C going to solder the guard like back when, two mini. California style.

Nice knives! I’m a sucker for the Loveless drop point.

So I finished up this "EDC Seax" this weekend. I really like how it came out. It's sporting a 1084 blade quenched @ 1500 F and tempered for two - two hour rounds @ 410 F. The handle scales are ironwood and they're affixed with stainless steel corby fasteners (and G-Flex epoxy). I also added a 1/8'' mosaic pin... cause I like them :cool:

It was fun to make something different like this. I think I'll make some more.

I filmed the process this time around if anyone is interested in the build.

Cheers,
JK

Sharpening blades before shipping have an even dozen to do but will be interupted by going out to collect another lamb. I get them from one of the farmers when a sheep dies in delivery and have to to keep the grass down in the back paddock and for the freezer when they have done their job.

Tell us mor!
I’ve been curious about the hardness of my blades. Wanted something more accurate than just checking them with a file. I found a good deal on this tester and bought it. Came with two test blocks. One 60 and one 33 rockwell C. Tested it with both blocks and both were dead on. I feel confident I’ll be able to get accurate readings with it. Should be heat treating some blades next week.

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of a work rest I'm making for my grinder. These are the first welds I've done. So while they look terrible they are holding.

I think I need a new welding tip though. I've had trouble with the welder today sputtering and the weld wire jamming. Work rest no 1.jpg

Here's a few pics of a work rest I'm making for my grinder. These are the first welds I've done. So while they look terrible they are holding.

I think I need a new welding tip though. I've had trouble with the welder today sputtering and the weld wire jamming. View attachment 70306
I'd like to help.
Those are some pretty big splatters. If you'd like to share your welding set up, maybe we can slick those up a bit.

I'd like to help.
Those are some pretty big splatters. If you'd like to share your welding set up, maybe we can slick those up a bit.
tkroenlein, This is my welder. It came with an 8lb spool of .030 Lincoln electric wire.

I haven't practiced much. I got anxious to get going on this project. The tubing is 1/8 inch wall. I think I just need more practice. Also learned to really clean the metal up thoroughly so I have a good connection for the clamp.
That's basically it.
Welder.jpg

tkroenlein, This is my welder. It came with an 8lb spool of .030 Lincoln electric wire.

I haven't practiced much. I got anxious to get going on this project. The tubing is 1/8 inch wall. I think I just need more practice. Also learned to really clean the metal up thoroughly so I have a good connection for the clamp.
That's basically it.
View attachment 70308
This fellow has some relevant info as to welder settings. If your wire seems to be "lurching" out and then burning back, then you are probably right about the tip. Note also that if you bend the lead in a short radius, the liner can bind the wire and present the same effect. Drive wheels that are too tight and/or tight wire spools can cause the same issue.

Back