Why can't they make a seemless finishing belt !

Sampson knifeworks

Just wondering why they do not have a flexible finish belts that are bump-less? Not sure how much there seam tape costs, but if you could run the seam tape all around the inside of the belt you could eliminate the bump? I would pay more for belts like this, wouldn't you? Maybe they make them and I just do not know! This would give the most benefit with the small wheels I run on my horizontal grinder. What's your thought on this? :les:
Sincerely,
Clint Sampson

That's an interesting thought. Maybe a person could find tape of the same thickness and "fill in" the rest of the belt? Just thinking out loud...

I'm willing to bet the belt and tape stretch at different rates

good idea though, i'll bet the belts could be woven in one piece

I order belts from 3 different manufactures. Each of them does not have stock on hand when I order. They custom make to each order they get. They all get huge rolls of abrasive and slit/cut/bind to size per order. It is the economics of the business. One big roll per grit keeps their costs down. Imagine all the different size belts they would have to stock across off of the grits otherwise. I'm sure a seamless belt could be made, it's just that no one could afford it.

I'm told the seem is a large part of the cost which is why the 132 belts are not that much more than the 72 from my supplier. I wouldn't have thought the tape was the big cost but time cutting and putting the belt together.

As for the original question I wish they would come up with a seamless belt also.

I have a softer wheel that I sometimes run on the finishing grits when your basically just wiping out scratches and starting the polish. It really makes a difference.

I have pretty good luck with a 8" 70 duro wheel getting a finish on the back of my knives, It's the 1" small wheel on my horizontal grinder that's tricky. I do have the light touch and keep moving fast down, but It's still a struggle. Not sure if they can make the small wheels in a softer durometer if they would hold up or make enough difference to help? They can send a monkey into space, but they can't make a bumpless sanding belt! Ha Ha.
Sincerely,
Sampson Knifeworks

Back