6150 testing

I don't have a youtube channel myself, but have posted several videos. I think all you need is an acct. Just register.

Go to your post, hit the 3 dots in the top right, and choose "copy link."

E766CA4B-2218-4FCE-9B0F-07DE50BD38C9.jpegHere is the COARSELY finished test subject. It is 16 and 3/4 overall with a 11.5 inch cutting edge. Its .167 at its thickest. Flat grind with slightly convex edge, Walnut handle.

DISCLAIMER: This does not represent my finishing skills. I fully expect to destroy it or have fun trying so it is rough on purpose.

Here is a link to some pre-testing just to show initial sharpness. Spoiler alert, I am more impressed with this steel than I thought I would be.

Chris, why do I have to sign up for Instagram? Can't you figure out another way to show us! Like maybe you tube or something?

Here is a youtube link.

I started with some testing that the tool may see in normal use and it had no effect on the sharpness. Then I upped it by abusing the thing on a rock hard dead Dogwood Tree and still nothing. I finished it off by hammering it through a single 3/16” copper rod. The tool took no damage. Next I hammered it through a huge piece of copper cable consisting of 20 individual strands of 1/8” copper coiled together. The blade deflected slightly during that test. I took me all of 30 seconds to fix. In the video you will see one of my favorite sharpness tests. I tightly roll up some t-shirt material and draw the knife across it using the knife’s weight only. It still sliced many layers after all the testing. Any suggestions for more tests?

Now I just finished cleaning 30 fish with the same machete, after all the tests and no sharpening at all. The thing is still razor sharp. I would use 6150 (https://www.blade6150.com/) again on a chopping blade or the like in a heartbeat. I really wanted to bend this thing to 90 degrees to see what happens but I really do not want to destroy it now because I like it. Sorry @yosam .

Last edited:
Back