6150 testing

I gotcha tied @ 6'1" . Ya got me beat @ 165 . I guess we're tied @ Georgia redneck and California hillbilly in the mountains!!

Must be southern livin.
BTW, Chris, (all kidding aside) REALLY good test and write up. Sounds like a new steel is gonna be in your line up.
Thanks Bruce, I cannot take credit for the big fat copper cable chop test that was my son's idea. I do like the steel. If I wanted to make a chopper (cleaver) type blade that you can beat the crap out of I would use it again (and I more than likely will). I was happy with the way it forges too I really did not notice much of a difference in relation to any other forging steel. I think for my next trick I will do like a fold over style tomahawk and beat the crap out of that. I am interested to see how it forge welds.

I really wanted to use a 2x4 like they do in the performance testing but have you seen what a 2x4 costs now? The small oaks and sweet gums in my yard were free so that is what I used. That is not the first blade I have tested on that dead Dogwood either. It has seen and wrecked some blades. My wife keeps asking me to cut it down but I told her I will not because it is my testing tree.

I really wanted to use a 2x4 like they do in the performance testing but have you seen what a 2x4 costs now? The small oaks and sweet gums in my yard were free so that is what I used. That is not the first blade I have tested on that dead Dogwood either. It has seen and wrecked some blades. My wife keeps asking me to cut it down but I told her I will not because it is my testing tree.
Yeah, lumber has TRIPLED in price up here. A sheet of plywood is over 96$. What the heck?!

Yeah, lumber has TRIPLED in price up here. A sheet of plywood is over 96$. What the heck?!
Same around here NWPA NEOH insane. a $22 sheet of 3/4 ply now $60. A $3.50 2x4 now over $9 with tax. So for smaller stuff I recommend looking to local manufacturers. They all produce scrap. I can go to a local pallet company and purchase a truck bed load of 6x6x12" to 6x6x24" blocks of oak, cherry and some others for just $35. Takes a bit of work to get them to a workable dimensions but it's totally worth it. A single load I get wood for BBQ and knife handles and get to support a local business!

Same around here NWPA NEOH insane. a $22 sheet of 3/4 ply now $60. A $3.50 2x4 now over $9 with tax. So for smaller stuff I recommend looking to local manufacturers. They all produce scrap. I can go to a local pallet company and purchase a truck bed load of 6x6x12" to 6x6x24" blocks of oak, cherry and some others for just $35. Takes a bit of work to get them to a workable dimensions but it's totally worth it. A single load I get wood for BBQ and knife handles and get to support a local business!
I WAS looking to build a nice garage long workbench this year, but that might have to wait now...fortunately I have a lot of trees and dead falls around, so getting wood for handles is fairly easy.

Back