Anyone else having problems with Norton Blaze...

No, Lawrence, these are blue belts. I got a couple of the brick red belts in 120 grit to try out. I should be finishing the 60 grit grind on a knife that I have on the bench and should be giving them a tryout.

Doug

I've been having the same problem. I wasn't aware what was causing it. It got bad enough that if I did a lot of heavy grinding, then shut the machine down while I ate lunch, that the belt would stick to the platen and my drive wheel. I'd have to turn it by hand to break it loose so the grinder could run again.

I have a short piece of planer knife that I cleaned the drive wheel with, and clean the platen whenever I change belts. Going from a 120 Blaze to a more flexible belt without cleaning the platen leaves "worms" in my blade.

Gene

No, Lawrence, these are blue belts. I got a couple of the brick red belts in 120 grit to try out. I should be finishing the 60 grit grind on a knife that I have on the bench and should be giving them a tryout.

Doug

Those Blue Belts are Silicon Carbide and work great for handles, I still prefer Ceramic belts for 36G 50G - 120G work on steel.

I've been having the same problem. I wasn't aware what was causing it. It got bad enough that if I did a lot of heavy grinding, then shut the machine down while I ate lunch, that the belt would stick to the platen and my drive wheel. I'd have to turn it by hand to break it loose so the grinder could run again.

I have a short piece of planer knife that I cleaned the drive wheel with, and clean the platen whenever I change belts. Going from a 120 Blaze to a more flexible belt without cleaning the platen leaves "worms" in my blade.

Gene

Gene, Whoa! The Blaze belt will stick to the platen and drive wheel? That's worse than my troubles with them. lol.
That Goof Off spray product works well too. Yep the Worms & Chatter marks had me cursing a blue streak!

I spoke with Shannon at K&G Supply today. Nice Lady, and she was very appreciative of the information and said that they had just ordered the Norton Blaze belts last year to expand their belt inventory.
I know that this news could not have made her happy.

So Hopefully St Gobain / Norton is reading this thread and I hear something about the Blaze belts I sent to them?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Those Blue Belts are Silicon Carbide and work great for handles, I still prefer Ceramic belts for 36G 50G - 120G work on steel.

The blue belts I have from Norton are from their Norzon line. The abrasive on these belts is Alumina-Zirconia (or also commonly called zirconia alumina).
Hence the common term of "Zirc belts".

It will significantly outperform both aluminum oxide and silicon carbide, but it is not as friable, so it's best suited for metal only.
Before the advent of the various ceramics, the Zirc belts were king for heavy grinding applications.

The blue belts I have from Norton are from their Norzon line. The abrasive on these belts is Alumina-Zirconia (or also commonly called zirconia alumina).
Hence the common term of "Zirc belts".

It will significantly outperform both aluminum oxide and silicon carbide, but it is not as friable, so it's best suited for metal only.
Before the advent of the various ceramics, the Zirc belts were king for heavy grinding applications.

Rob,

Thanks for the refresher course in Beltology. I've been so busy lately with the cutlery store & Knife making, etc that fact faded from the memory banks. LOL

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Norton has changed the backing compound recently to increase the life of the product and reduce grain loss. When the belts are hammered asymmetrically (ie; handheld), this problem shows up. They are working on a solution but you can appreciate it will take time, testing and approval. The engineers would really like to get their hands on some of these belts that have exhibited problems in use. If anyone that I have sold belts to has examples, please send them to me. St Gobain will replace the failed belts and send them to quality control to get this worked out.

We haven't found anything that will outcut BLAZE (and we've sampled a lot). Let's help them solve this backing problem.

This is from our rep in Canada. Can't speak for others, but I can speak my respect for this company!

Rob!

Norton has changed the backing compound recently to increase the life of the product and reduce grain loss. When the belts are hammered asymmetrically (ie; handheld), this problem shows up. They are working on a solution but you can appreciate it will take time, testing and approval. The engineers would really like to get their hands on some of these belts that have exhibited problems in use. If anyone that I have sold belts to has examples, please send them to me. St Gobain will replace the failed belts and send them to quality control to get this worked out.

We haven't found anything that will outcut BLAZE (and we've sampled a lot). Let's help them solve this backing problem.

This is from our rep in Canada. Can't speak for others, but I can speak my respect for this company!

Rob!

Hi Rob,
Glad to hear that you have word from them.
I sent them 12-16 2 x 72" Belts. Now I realize that I have at least twelve more 6 x 48 Blaze Plus belts that have the same black crud problem.
Well I need contact them again and see about sending these to them also.

This is getting exasperating! lol.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Hey Laurence

I'd like to send you a belt to test out for me. I'm pretty impressed so far, but I don't work them as hard as you do. Would you mind? Just PM or email me your address if you're game.

Rob!

Doug

Hi Doug, I ran one of the Norzon Blue Nortons today. A 60 Grit.
They work, But they seem to tear or rip the metal off instead of grind it, Its a different feel.

I ran one of the Deerfos 50G ceramics for awhile also and they have a much better feel.

The difference is the Norzon tore or scraped small pieces off.
The ceramic Deerfos ground it off and made steel wool type shavings in my collector scoop.

Much better feel and a larger & consistent amount of removal.

I only ran both types for about 15 minutes each.
I haven't swore off the blue Norzon yet! I have lots of grinding to do of unheated and heat treat Steel to do in the next two weeks.

Nothing back yet from Norton this week.
More later!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence, did you try different speeds with the Norzons? I have no experience with them, just wondering if maybe that would change their performance. Or maybe different pressures.

Laurence, did you try different speeds with the Norzons? I have no experience with them, just wondering if maybe that would change their performance. Or maybe different pressures.

Yes, I always try different speeds & pressure to find that sweet spot were I get a smooth & consistant cut that I can feel the material removing without tearing the grit off the belt.
That Deerfos 50G Ceramic belt seems to work best at about 25-35 on my variable dial 1-100 on a 1 1/2 Balbor HardCore grinder. Thats with a medium pressure from me.

Thats were they seem to cut best for me. I haven't found that Sweet Spot on the Blue Norzon yet. I may try them more later today. I'm at my Store/Shop today and have had lot's of sharpening come it.
Back to work!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Well to tell everyone the truth!
I have kinda had it with all these other belts! I want the Norton Blaze Ceramics back without the black crud coming off the back on to my Platen.
I still say nothing out cuts and out lasts the Norton Blaze belt!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

i too had the last 2 batches load my platten with uneven black crap (is there a way to clean the back of the belt to get the goo off before i use them

i too had the last 2 batches load my platten with uneven black crap (is there a way to clean the back of the belt to get the goo off before i use them

Hi LR.
If there is a way to get that dry lube backing off first? I haven't found one!
The only way seems to be on to the PLATEN as you grind! Some more Reps from Norton were at my suppliers shop last Thurs- Friday and he gave them the link again to this thread.

Hopefully they will do the simple thing and go back to the previous backing material that they had for the Blaze belts. That would entail one of the people at Norton admitting that they did something wrong.

I am sure that the brain child of this backing material will have to come up with something else that "in his mind" is a superior , New and improved etc... Material and that's the reason they are changing it!

Everyone! it's time to write your blaze representative. LOL

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back