Anyone else having problems with Norton Blaze...

I can add a little to this. My Norton rep asked me if I'd personally had issues with this and I told him I'm way more gentle on belts than some of you guys - and BLAZE belts were meant to be ridden hard. Unfortunately the head product manager for BLAZE recently had a tree vs Skiier fight - and lost. He's out for at least a couple weeks. They are aware of this thread and the issue. Hope to hear more soon. These are undoubtedly the most effective heavy use belt out there and I'm sure the platen deposit issues can be resolved.

Rob!

Hi Rob,
Yes! The Blaze belts get worked hard by me!
i'm 6ft 4" and about 255lbs. that's why I loved them so! I can lean in and make the metal go away starting with those 24 or 36G then 50's and lightening up as I go to a 120 Then the finishing grits.
Thanks for spreading the word with your contact's at Norton.

I trust this thread has gone viral with the people at Norton's Blaze division.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Since the folks at Norton might be seeing what's written here, I will also mentioned that due to the ever increasing cost of the Blaze belts, I have been searching for alternatives. At about $10 each, Blaze belts, while being great belts, really cut into the supply budget. And the black "goop" on the platen.....is just another annoyance that I don't need.

I keep asking myself if the Blaze are worth the money based on a what I get out of them. Recently I have tested a few other belts, and found one full ceramic that is literally half the price. After testing it, it was obvious that it did not last as long as the Blaze belts, but I felt it cut "better". In my estimation, a belt that cuts better, but only last about 2/3 as long, BUT is 1/2 the cost, is worth a little thought. I ordered a dozen of the belts I'm speaking of, and will see how it goes. If anybody wants to know what those belts are, I'd rather you PM or email me.....don't want to get into a "this or that" thing on this thread.

For a long while now, I've considered Blaze belts to be "the best"....but instances of receiving orders of them that were not cut straight on one edge, the black "goop" they leave behind on the platen, and the fact of their high cost has driven me to seek alternatives.

Ed,
Your right about the high price of Blaze belts. They do work the best for me! Except for the black crud issue of course.

Well the local Norton Rep, came by my shop yesterday for a first hand look at the Crud deposits on the platen.
I did a five minute run with a 120 blaze with a before and after look at the platen,
He was convinced!
Now he said he will send me a UPS shipping tag to send the new unused and used back east to the facility for R & D.
Hopefully This will inspire them to FIX it?
So I will keep everyone posted!

Any other thoughts or problems on the Blaze issue here would be helpful! The more they see, the more they will be inspired to get it straightened out!

Thanks Guys!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/
www.rhinoknives.com/

At least they should recieve credit for addressing the problem.
We, as knifemakers may not be the big dogs as consumers, but as a group I'm sure there is some serious cash flowing. As many may do, I never buy just one of anything. A portion of my shop looks like a belt distribution center.

Rudy

At least they should recieve credit for addressing the problem.
We, as knifemakers may not be the big dogs as consumers, but as a group I'm sure there is some serious cash flowing. As many may do, I never buy just one of anything. A portion of my shop looks like a belt distribution center.

Rudy

Hi Rudy,
Yes they seem genuinely concerned! Which is to their credit. Individually we are small potatoes!
As a group I am sure were are a good chunk of market share for these blaze belts.

Another thing is that we are for the most part, Owner Operators, So we are the first to see a problem and the first to report it!
I have a feeling that they will get this straighten out!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thank you for what you are trying to get acccomplished with Norton Lawrence and Ed. I did run one of the new ones that I just received today for a short period of time and sure enough, there was a small amount on the top edge and bottom edge of the glass platen. I am wondering if this stuff accumulates on metal platens as much as it does on the glass.

Last edited:
Sad a belt manufacturer rep has to go to a knifemaker shop to determine a problem is a problem.
Do they not test where they manufacture?
I also do as others have stated and have a razor blade close by and frequently clean platten with it.
CW

Sad a belt manufacturer rep has to go to a knifemaker shop to determine a problem is a problem.
Do they not test where they manufacture?

Actually, I think it's pretty cool. Blaze belts weren't designed for our applications, and since we are a pretty small market, I think it's outstanding that a rep would show up at a makers shop to document, first hand, a problem with our application of the product. I'l bet 90% of BLAZE belts are run against a contact wheel that has no friction with the backing at all. You can't make everyone happy, but it sounds like St Gobain (Norton) is trying to deal with our problem. Props! :35:

Rob!

Actually, I think it's pretty cool. Blaze belts weren't designed for our applications, and since we are a pretty small market, I think it's outstanding that a rep would show up at a makers shop to document, first hand, a problem with our application of the product. I'l bet 90% of BLAZE belts are run against a contact wheel that has no friction with the backing at all. You can't make everyone happy, but it sounds like St Gobain (Norton) is trying to deal with our problem. Props! :35:

Rob!

Well said Rob.

Rob!

That does bring up a question from me since I don't hollow grind but can see the Crud on my wheels?
For you guys that hollow grind?
Have you have build up enough to cause problems on your hollow grinds or in finishing when your go to the non Blaze belt grits? 220 Grit and finer?
Anyone?

Laurence

www.westsidwsharpening.com/
www.rhinoknives.com/

GREAT thread, kind of wish i had your problem cant seem to get them in 2x42, so until then ill see how Norton does on this
and im sure when i get that 2x72 it will affect what i buy.

Thanks i will do that. it would be nice to try them after all i have heard that they are good belts.

Sorry if it sounded like I was coming down on Blaze and St. Gobain. I truly do love there product though, been meaning to try 3m but man these blaze in 50 grit just really keep working for me.
I do see the crud on my contact wheel though, but not bad enough to warrant trying to remove it or it messing with my hollow grinds.

Sorry if it sounded like I was coming down on Blaze and St. Gobain. I truly do love there product though, been meaning to try 3m but man these blaze in 50 grit just really keep working for me.
I do see the crud on my contact wheel though, but not bad enough to warrant trying to remove it or it messing with my hollow grinds.

That's why I started this thread!
They last longer and have a much better cutting life than the 3M Cubic tron I tried a few years back!
In my experience, The 3M cut great and better for about five minutes and then they go flat on me!
The Norton Blaze cut decent and keep cutting for a long slow bell curve line! and then for profiling or other hard chores Where you just need to make metal go away!
those Blaze 36 or 50 Grit will keep eating steel for a long time after!

We will see what happens???

Laurence

Back