Anyone else having problems with Norton Blaze...

I kind of expect the Norton folks to take the same attitude as the steel companies do with knifemakers.....we are such a small percentage of their sales, they likely don't care what we think/want.

In the mean time I am using the Deerfos belts, and dollar for dollar, am happier with them than I was the Blaze belts. I've gone through two dozen of the Deerfos belts....and haven't had stop once to scrap/clean my platen....between that and the Deerfos belts being 1/2 the cost, Norton has lost my business for Blaze belts.

I kind of expect the Norton folks to take the same attitude as the steel companies do with knifemakers.....we are such a small percentage of their sales, they likely don't care what we think/want.

In the mean time I am using the Deerfos belts, and dollar for dollar, am happier with them than I was the Blaze belts. I've gone through two dozen of the Deerfos belts....and haven't had stop once to scrap/clean my platen....between that and the Deerfos belts being 1/2 the cost, Norton has lost my business for Blaze belts.

That happy with em? Great! I do like those 50G Deerfos Ceramic Belts, They are the only one I was able to get so far. There has been a run on the Deerfos ceramic since this thread. LOL

I am still looking to see what their 120G are like. I hope they have a 120G ceramic?

The Deerfos Ceramic belt price is very attractive!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I was talking to Steve Kelly yesterday, and he mentioned that he had some of the Deerfos in 120, and that he really liked them. Figured the next time I order from him, I'll have him send me a few of the 120s to try out.

you guys getting themm from super grit as thats where i can pick more of them up (and have been latly cause of the blaze issues )

the 120s are great

This really is making me start to look for alternatives for all my belts.
I was told that my "Defective belts" Would be replaced. It's been a month and I have received no correspondence of any kind?
I really bought almost all Norton Abrasive products in the past.
It seems that this problem has not affected sales enough for them to take it seriously?

Oh well!

Anybody Heard anything? Have you Rob in Canada hear any thing from that Rep up there?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
Well when I contacted TruGrit I was told despite the problem the Blaze belts were flying off the shelf. I had them send me some Hoggers and they seem to cut pretty nice and have heard good reports of the 3M Cubitron II I think it was. I may try some of those belts that Ed was talking about when I use these up.

My guess is since the belts were not designed for our industry they can careless what we think, I think I will drop all Norton belts myself.

The belts that Ed was talking about are Deerfos Ceramic. Steve Kelly @ www.montantaknife supply has them and I've heard Supergrit does also.
From my little investigation it's a S. Korean Company that went Muli-national.
The Ceramics are made in Brazil, At least the ones I have purchased are? 50 G & 120G
There are Half the price and cut about 70% of Norton Blaze belts.
Those numbers work for me! Especially if I am going to get the cold shoulder from Norton on the Belts they said that they would replace.
I shouldn't have to call them at this point, To get word about what's going on? Or replacements?

I am all about buy USA made first! But when this kind of stuff happens?

Brazilian is still in the America's!:3:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

This really is making me start to look for alternatives for all my belts.
I was told that my "Defective belts" Would be replaced. It's been a month and I have received no correspondence of any kind?
I really bought almost all Norton Abrasive products in the past.
It seems that this problem has not affected sales enough for them to take it seriously?

Oh well!

Anybody Heard anything? Have you Rob in Canada hear any thing from that Rep up there?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last I heard was that they were aware of it and working on it - but nothing now for weeks. I have to say, our results mirror Trugrit. I've only had one customer mention the deposits and he didn't take me up on my offer to replace. The belts are indeed still selling as fast as ever and they still outcut anything out there. My rep is staying in touch but any official response would have to come from North American rep. Can't believe they haven't posted here yet. They are aware of the thread.

Rob!

Once I tried the 3M yellow ceramic belts, Blaze became a distant third- Norton's blue ones are almost as good as the 3M, but not quite there.
Andy G.

Once I tried the 3M yellow ceramic belts, Blaze became a distant third- Norton's blue ones are almost as good as the 3M, but not quite there.
Andy G.

I still haven't tried that 3m Yellow Ceramic and I have heard nothing but good things about them!
Next order I will get a few.

The Deerfos Ceramic for the Money is the best I've used so far, about half price of the Blaze. And I don't miss the black crud build up at all and every Deerfos has been cut straight so far.

I guess it must also be the way some of us grind that knocks that material off the back of the belts and give the problem with the Blaze?

If their sales are still increasing I don't think they will change a thing? It has to cost alot to change the MFG setup. And WHY? Is what they would be asking themselves, if they are still selling so well.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I have a bunch of 50 grit blaze that I won't use. My wheels are covered in lumps that won't come off easy. I will try the goof off.
I bought a truck load of ceramic belts from China. My cost to get them here,shipping included was less than $2.00/belt. They don't last as long as the blaze do but they do last long enough that it is much cheaper than using blaze. Even if Norton gets there black goop problem fixed, I'm sticking with my Chinese belts.
I took some belts down to Steve Kellys and he use one to profile out a large Damascus Bowie that he was building and he literally tried to blow the belt apart. He doesn't weigh near as much as me but he was leaning into them very hard. He was impressed with the belts.I will have to call him to see if he has used them since.
Jim

I have a bunch of 50 grit blaze that I won't use. My wheels are covered in lumps that won't come off easy. I will try the goof off.
I bought a truck load of ceramic belts from China. My cost to get them here,shipping included was less than $2.00/belt. They don't last as long as the blaze do but they do last long enough that it is much cheaper than using blaze. Even if Norton gets there black goop problem fixed, I'm sticking with my Chinese belts.
I took some belts down to Steve Kellys and he use one to profile out a large Damascus Bowie that he was building and he literally tried to blow the belt apart. He doesn't weigh near as much as me but he was leaning into them very hard. He was impressed with the belts.I will have to call him to see if he has used them since.
Jim

Jim,
That's how bad my Crud build up was. I'm 6ft 4" + and weight about 260lb now so that Crub stuff from the Blaze didn't want to come off!
Try the Goof Off Household or a little Goof Off on AAA fine steelwool or a Scotchbrite Pad to get the black crud off of your rubber & metal wheels.

I know it's a pain. Just go slow so you don't Damage the wheels and have to have the durometer rubber redone or refinished.

Cheers!

www.rhinoknives.com/

Wow! I just stumbled on this thread, and I hate to see it. I don't make but 2 or 3 knives a month, so I don't use anywhere near the belts that most of y'all use. I just got a few Blaze belts the last time that I ordered belts and haven't gotten around to using them much yet. I ran one for maybe 5 minutes when they first got here just to see if they cut as good as their reputation. I was very impressed with their cut, and I didn't really pay any attention to the small amount of crud on my platen. I just figured it was built up over time and that I had somehow missed noticing it. I'll go back to using something cheaper when I finally wear these out, if Norton doesn't change them. My shop time is so limited that I don't want to spend much of it cleaning my grinder, lol!

Great thread guys,
I switched from the Blaze to the Sairon from Pop's knife supply 2 years ago, while they aren't as good as the Blaze the formula I figured out was 2 Sairons per one Blaze. The cost of 1 Blaze is 3 times that of the Sairon, so it's very economical. The lower grits are the most expensive around $3.00 bucks and maybe change I haven't bought any in a while, the higher grits are $2 and change. I've been very happy with these, and can afford to use a new 60 grit belt to grind bevels. Hope this helps, Rex

Last edited:
Great thread guys,
I switched from the Blaze to the Sairon from Pop's knife supply 2 years ago, while they aren't as good as the Blaze the formula I figured out was 2 Sairons per one Blaze. The cost of 1 Sairon is 3 times that of the Blaze, so it's very economical. The lower grits are the most expensive around $3.00 bucks or less, the higher grits are $2 and change. I've been very happy with these, and can afford to use a new 60 grit belt to grind bevels. Hope this helps, Rex

Rex,
I think you mean the other way around? A Sairons belt is 1/3 the cost of a blaze?

Thanks. I've never tried those before..

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Rex,
I think you mean the other way around? A Sairons belt is 1/3 the cost of a blaze?

Thanks. I've never tried those before..

Laurencewww.rhinoknives.com/

Aint` that what I said? Oh I see it now, sorry guys, I'm at work and have limited time to be on my "HAPPY PLACE", KNIFE DOGS! So I got in a hurry and my dyslexia kicked in. You Thank for pointing that out so others won't get confrused!

My logic was that while the Blaze were twice as good as the Sairon, the cost for the Blaze was 3 times more, while they were only twice as good!
That even made sence to me! Since I don't sell many knives, I have to watch costs any where I can, so I can afford to buy some of the more important parts/supplies. If I ever get my health straightened out I'll be looking to get to making more. Until then, I'll continue studying everthing I can get my hands on! I'm hoping to be able to get back in the shop very soon, as it is I go out there and sit there, sad I know. But my shop is my other "HAPPY PLACE"!
I do appreciate you pointing that out, I'll go back and edit it to save some others from getting confrused.

Back