Anyone else having problems with Norton Blaze...

You can out grow it? Wow, news to me, while there are numerous conditions ou there these days, I wouldn't mind a little OCD about my knives....opps, already have that~!
Thanks Bro! Rex

Yes, The Hyper first and some of the A.D.D. can be out grown. The A.D.D. can work in your favor, It does with me for my knives.

I will be working on a blade or handle and be so deep in thought that I don't hear the bell from a customer walking in my shop to get some knives or sharpening done! I will look up and see someone standing there looking at me with a smile on their face!

The whole world can go away when I am in the zone. Time has no meaning. Nor any distraction.

Now I want Norton to call me about my replacement belts!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Laurence,
I have mentioned a couple of times about the "space Time Continuom" that resides in a knife makers shop! A while back I was in the shop working <playing>, I had been HTing a few blades and used my watch for a timer, so I didn't see what time it was, I was in the "ZONE"! All of a sudden my wifes pops in the shop and asked me if I was planning on going to work the next day, I was puzzeled at first not understanding what she was talking, she asked me what time it was, it was at that point I took it off the timer and put it back on time, it was 2:30 in the mornng!!! And I still had to stay out in the shop until I finished Ht'ing the blades I had in the kiln. My point is the ZONE is the place to be! When I get there I get so much accomplished.

I was never diagnosed at ADD or ADHD, but I do believe I'm ABCDEFG! I had brain surger back in 01', started realizing that I was having serious problems focusing on any given task, my Doc suggested Adderall, which I declined. It seemed that my ability to get in the zone was impossible, much less remember what I was doing or where I put a tool, I tried some vitamins and herbal remedies, which did help a little, the problem was still there, so I relented and tried the Adderall. 2 days later my concentration improved so much it was amazing, I could stay on task so much so that an hour felt like a minute. I do hate distractions in the shop, but my son Tyler "The Pup", shows interest every once in a while and if he wants to work on something I'll stop what I'm doing to get him going, basically re-teaching him everything I had already taught him, AGAIN! That's not so much a distraction as it is a hinderance for me to complete my work, but I'll stop what I'm doing EVERYTIME he wants to be out there!

As far as Norton replacing your belts, I'd guess you'd have to settle that up with the distributer where you bought them, the do have the ability to get a rep to call them back! I hope it works out, those belts are too expensive to not get a lifetime and a half use out them!

I'd urge you to give Pop's Sairon belts a shot, I have been more than satisfied with them, they only come in the coarser grits, with the higher grits running under 3 bucks it's a no brainer! I just couldn't keep on sheling out the cash to buy the Blaze, I still have a few, most are worn out, but still work well on wood. Good luck with Norton, Rex

I received a call Yesterday from Kevin, The local Norton Rep,
He said they are working on a new material for the backing of the Blaze belts and said that I would be contacted concerning
the return of a bunch of Blaze 6" X 48" belts that have the same problems.

They called and I am happy about that. We will see what they do and maybe give them a try when the new Blaze makes it out?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Good to hear theyre looking at it. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

Bet there's a few frustrated people over at Norton. :D

I received a call Yesterday from Kevin, The local Norton Rep,
He said they are working on a new material for the backing of the Blaze belts and said that I would be contacted concerning
the return of a bunch of Blaze 6" X 48" belts that have the same problems.

They called and I am happy about that. We will see what they do and maybe give them a try when the new Blaze makes it out?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,
If they come through for you, that let's us all know that they care, most of the larger companies really DON'T care anything about us small customers. Which I understand, it's business. BUT, the fact that any company shows and effort to take care of what we need, when it's possible and affordable, I do my best to support them, Thanks, and keep us up to date on the progress. Rex

Thanks for the update. I'm holding off on Blaze for now, waiting on the updated belts.
I think a lot of times companies make the mistake of thinking of their big customers as a faceless entity and don't worry about service as much when it's for an individual as long as their big customers aren't complaining. The catch here is that at many steps along the way in the big industrial or corporate customer you have individuals making decisions. Sometimes you aren't even aware of who they are and when they're buying for themselves and have a bad experience it can effect the big customer's buying. I've seen it many times, particularly on something like this where there are competing brands and products along with competing vendors. Switching over is as simple as a phone call and making your next order of belts a different brand, it's not like sizing or grits are proprietary.

Thanks for the update. I'm holding off on Blaze for now, waiting on the updated belts.
I think a lot of times companies make the mistake of thinking of their big customers as a faceless entity and don't worry about service as much when it's for an individual as long as their big customers aren't complaining. The catch here is that at many steps along the way in the big industrial or corporate customer you have individuals making decisions. Sometimes you aren't even aware of who they are and when they're buying for themselves and have a bad experience it can effect the big customer's buying. I've seen it many times, particularly on something like this where there are competing brands and products along with competing vendors. Switching over is as simple as a phone call and making your next order of belts a different brand, it's not like sizing or grits are proprietary.

It's never that simple!:biggrin:

They will have to have a commity design a new backing and have it made! They couldn't possible just go back to what they had before it was improved!.

I will keep everyone posted!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Hello Boy's & Girls!

UPS just dropped off a box of Belts from ST. Gobain / Norton to replace the problematic black crud Blaze belts I returned.
These are just 981 ?? Norton Hogger belts in 80 grit.
I am glad to report that they did keep the word and replaced my Blaze belts. a few of which were used and almost gone.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back