Blade Show 2020

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I apparently have bought into the paranoia.
I just canceled our trip to the Blade show this year.
I am almost certain it will be canceled and if not, attendance by makers and booth holders and buyers is going to be a disaster.
It is too expensive and time consuming for half a show.

Last edited:
I apparently have bought into the paranoia.
I just canceled our trip to the Blade this year.
I am almost certain it will be canceled and if not, attendance by makers and booth holders and buyers is going to be a disaster.
It is too expensive and time consuming for half a show.
I just received an e-mail today that says it's still on. But you're probably right. Unless things change drastically for the better this could be a long summer for everyone.

That’s gonna suck. I’ve never been. Have already got a room, show tickets, and multiple class tickets. Was really looking forward to going. I guess we’ll just have to wait to hear more.

It's very likely that with all this hoopla going down, I'll be cancelling too. Not because of the paranoia, but because the Doctors have told me that WHEN the Coroavirus comes around, I have to "lay low".....basically become a hermit until it passes...... for me it because of the Lupus I have, and in order to control it, they basically destroyed my immune system. Heck, I spent 12-14 Feb in the hospital due to the Flu, and then another two weeks on the couch recovering.. The wife got it the same time, and was over it in 5 days! Between the interstitial lung disease, the Lupus, and Fibromyalgia...... it's likely that some minor cold for most, will be what wipes me out!
Glad Cindy insisted on getting trip insurance when we booked our airline tickets!

I saw today that March Madness has been cancelled for spectators..... only family and athletes. There goes a huge chunk of their revenue!

i heard on the TV or radio that 8 weeks is what is needed to get past this. So Blade might happen.

That's unfortunate. I've been hoping I could attend my first show there. I hesitate to call cancelations paranoia - they're prudent in light of the virus. The whole name of CoV2 is SARS CoV2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronoVirus 2 (there are 2 strains). So they named it CoV19...(medical folks got a way for strange names). Many blade smiths lungs have been compromised from not wearing respirators while grinding makes them a population more susceptible to it. It ain't the regular flu. The CDC is sending a whole team to New Orleans today since there's been an outbreak here.

I hope this gets stopped fast. Lets hope todays disappointment turns into a better story and a better blade show next year. I'll buy ya beer at the next one ;-)

Read "The Devil is in the Freezer" don't recall the author - but it's how WHO irraticated Small Pox in the 60's....scary as hell.

I've been watching and pretty much expecting a cancellation of Blade. There are thousands of people there and you are packed like sardines on the show floor.
I already have my tickets and room, and I hate missing it as it is the one big show I look forward to each year.
But it isn't worth anyone getting sick.
Yes, if you need something to worry the hell out of you, read "The Demon in the Freezer" or "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston.
Makes you feel like we are hanging by a thread.

My docs have pretty much given me the same advise Ed's have. My right lung is damaged/scarred only about 40% working...my heart is only putting out 20% instead of 60% like normal...my immune system is battered right now...I'm pretty nervous about this virus. When it gets to Montana I'm disappearing for a while...

Being gray of beard and long of tooth making like a hermit doesn't sound like an over reaction to me. I just watched the news and all of March Madness has be cancelled; no games. If I had any tickets to see any of the major sports I'd check if their good anymore. Baseball has even cancelled tickets to see the spring training games. As far as whether or not the Blade Show goes on, I'd have to say a strong maybe yes or maybe no.

Doug

I got an email last evening that the Arkansas show has been "postponed" for now, but I suspect it's likely to be cancelled for this year.

At least I won't die from the lack of something to wipe my backside with! Everybody else horded toilet paper, but I remember growing up on the farm.... when we still had an outhouse, and the trusty old Sears/Roebuck catalog right beside the seat! :) Now I have plenty of old newspaper in the shop for packing material.....but it can serve the same use as that old Sears/Roebuck catalog! :)

I do not blame you guys for canceling that is a big investment and the crowd is likely to be diminished. I lament missing meeting you both in person, but I think you made the correct choice.

I got an email last evening that the Arkansas show has been "postponed" for now, but I suspect it's likely to be cancelled for this year.

At least I won't die from the lack of something to wipe my backside with! Everybody else horded toilet paper, but I remember growing up on the farm.... when we still had an outhouse, and the trusty old Sears/Roebuck catalog right beside the seat! :) Now I have plenty of old newspaper in the shop for packing material.....but it can serve the same use as that old Sears/Roebuck catalog! :)
stand upwind when you burn the used portions, speaking from experience, the more diesel you pour onto the fire the better the smell coming off of it.

Randy, part of the problem is that it's hard to get tested for COVID-19. The five million test kits that have been mentioned, which is a drop in the bucket, is one thing, having people who are trained in using them is another. We are so far behind in testing it isn't even funny. South Korea tests more of their citizens in a day than we have in total, so yes, you probably have come across people infected with the virus.

Doug

Randy said:
I’ve probably come across a lot of people infected with a lot of things. That’s wasn’t the point of my post. I don’t know anyone personally that has it. Nor do any of my family or friends know anyone who has it. How many deaths so far? Way less that the regular flu. Seems to me people are getting their panties in a wad before it’s panty wadding time. Sure pay attention. Follow basic hygiene. Wash your hands. The panic and paranoia is ridiculous and if you don’t think this is being driven by the media and politicians you haven’t been paying attention the last three years. The H1N1 virus in 2009 killed 18,306 and hospitalized another 275,000 and not a peep out if the media.

Yesterday we cancelled our room at the Embassy Suite for the Blade show. Too many foreign travelers and shoulder to shoulder knife enthusiasts to take a chance at our ages (71 and 70).

Back