Crusader Bowie

Squawsach

I had a request for a big, flashy knife. It's going to a soldier in Afghanistan who has to talk with tribal leaders. He requested that it have a cross displayed in the handle because the tribal leaders are primitive but they remember the Crusades. The cross displayed on a warriors weapon still holds some meaning over there. I chose a Bowie style knife because it's know to be an American blade design. The knife has features from a couple different Bowie styles. I liked the coffin handle design for this one. I decided to go with a frame handle and put lots of filework on it for the bling factor.

I was going to use some very nice flame walnut for the scales but decided that black micarta would help the cross stand out. I made the cross from 416ss and inlet it in the scale.

The glue up was a mess. I had to assemble all the pieces at while covered in epoxy. I put the clamps to it and made a puddle on the floor. The handle was a big blob when it cured.

The knife ended up at 13 1/4" OAL. It has a .210" S30V blade and frame. The guard and spacers are 416ss. Now it's time to make a sheath.

AW MAN! I LOVE THAT! I love the cross and the reason for it,I'm happy to hear that they still remember the crusades.
Your fit and finish is AWSOME, please be sure and show us the sheath when you're done with it.

Beautiful design and superb execution.
Usually, reminding folks in that region about the crusades wouldn't necessarily help you get on their good side.

very nice! I like the crosses in the boxed handle spacer. Do you have pictures of how you did that?

Looks like it is made for a soldier in a Holy War. That's what we are in whether we want to believe it or not. Any Christian soldier would be honored to carry that in to battle. Only problem I see is if the guy gets captured he won't live long carrying that knife.

Looks like it is made for a soldier in a Holy War. That's what we are in whether we want to believe it or not. Any Christian soldier would be honored to carry that in to battle. Only problem I see is if the guy gets captured he won't live long carrying that knife.

I worried about that but I thought I would leave it to person carrying the knife. He's been around the block a few times.

Hey, it's his call. You gave him what he wanted in a big way. Unbelievable filework. My hat's off to him for carrying it.

The Bowie now has a sheath and is almost ready to be shipped off. I will miss it but I have no use for a knife like this. The sheath was made from veggie tanned leather of a couple different weights and the front of the sheath is lined to give it that cool rolled over lip treatment. The inlay is veggie tanned textured to look like fine ray skin.

Fantastic craftsmanship on both knife and sheath. That knife has powers, way beyond us, emanating from it.

Wade

Absolutely stunning Gary. I love the cross inlay and file work. Every aspect of this build is well done. Good job man!

Back