Doc Holiday WIP

I’ve only done two but I used white pvc pipe (heated and pressed into an oval on one end) a leather protection piece on top of the guard and a mallet

This meathod uses extreme pressure ,you cut your slot ten thousandths smaller than your tang and press it on. I've been meaning to shoot a video of the process for a while but have been to busy but should be able to do one in the next few days.

This meathod uses extreme pressure ,you cut your slot ten thousandths smaller than your tang and press it on. I've been meaning to shoot a video of the process for a while but have been to busy but should be able to do one in the next few days.
Another one who will make one of those presses AK.

Wildman, you had me a WIP. I have driven one on before but, never thought about a press. I have always heard give 10 men versed in, "how to" and turn them loose and you will find 10 different ways of doing the same thing!!

Wildman, you had me a WIP. I have driven one on before but, never thought about a press. I have always heard give 10 men versed in, "how to" and turn them loose and you will find 10 different ways of doing the same thing!!
I've driven them on before and also hot fitted, I've found this to be the best way for me to do it .I've distorted them in the past with the driven meathod and although this is a bit time consuming it's very controlled and doesn't damage anything.

Today's progress on the Doc Holiday, made the spacer out of 316 stainless and brass, got them all fitted perfectly on the tang and drilled and pinned with index pins that will also index into the front of the frame. Shaped the first stainless piece that will act as a pattern for the other two pieces.FB_IMG_1550209427346.jpgFB_IMG_1550209433618.jpg

I've driven them on before and also hot fitted, I've found this to be the best way for me to do it .I've distorted them in the past with the driven meathod and although this is a bit time consuming it's very controlled and doesn't damage anything.

Yep I have to I figured out how to stop the distortion but, I really like the idea of the press. I have a feeling that press is gonna be a new fixture in a lot of knife makers toolbox!! Sometimes you just have to have a fresh look at something to see it from another angle!!

Doc Holiday Wip, got the frame,liners ,scales and spacers all polished up.Cut and fit all the stainless pins and blued the liners,did a reassembly test fit and then reassembled for the last time with epoxy.FB_IMG_1550724139312.jpgFB_IMG_1550724144219.jpgFB_IMG_1550724149297.jpg

Back