EDC passaround: Reviews

Sean Cochran

Ok, Ive got the knife just about ready to go. Ill have pictures up soon.
I had alot of resposes to my original post, so I decided to draw 10 names just to keep it managable.
Again here is what I ask you to help me with
1. Overall design.
a. Does the knife have good lines/visually appealing?
b. Is the size good? OAL and blade to handle ratio.
2. Choice of material
a. This knife is 1084. Is that a good all around steel for EDC?
Carbon vs. Stainless?
b. What handle material would be best suited? This one has
stab. maple just because thats what I had on hand.
c. It is a little beefy. I made it from thicker steel to add a
little heft. Should be thinner stock?
3. Grind. Is the hollow grind good? Should it be flat or convex?
4. What is your overall impression?

I cant thank you all enough for helping me with this. I must confess I dont EDC a fixed blade (Ive always carried a slipjoint) so this will help me tremendously. This is a brand new design for me, and Im not sure Im happy with it but I wont tell you what my issues are until I get some reviews. Please be honest I have thick skin (kind of:unsure:).
Also if you have anything else to add please feel free.
These are the order they were drawn, everyone PM me your address and Ill send it out to the first on the list, then when you are finished PM me and Ill give you the address of the next person. Thanks again.
Here is the list:
1. Cliff Fendly
2. Jeff Pearce
3. Murph
4. Denton
5. James Williams
6. Semper708
7. Ernie Swanson
8. Rock
9. Patrick
10. CDHumiston

Ok here are some pics. (Ive got to get a new camera:eek::mad:)
As you can see I didnt put a mark on this one, and the blade was left at about a 400. With this test Im interested in function and form.
Even if you are not on the test list let me know what you think from the pics.

Attachments

• 104_1217.jpg
    104_1217.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 104_1219.jpg
    104_1219.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 104_1220.jpg
    104_1220.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 190
PM sent with address. I just noticed that names were drawn. Excellent opportunity for all to learn a few things.

Pat

Just got finished, I will get it out to Cliff in the next couple of days. Im going to see if I have enough Kydex for a sheath.

Sean

Going off to Cliff tomorrow.
I have to admit, Im pretty nervous sending this out. There are several things about the knife that I would like to change but maybe those things wont be an issue to anyone else.
Its kinda funny I was so afraid of screwing this one up, that I may have overworked it. Seems I can always find flaws in my work and at some point you just have to say "ok, thats enough" and quit trying to "fix" everything before it gets messed up.

Sean

Come on Cliff, you can always find a reason to cut something. There has to be some tree limbs or scrap wood that needs to be whittled on or boxes that need to be destroyed.

Come on Cliff, you can always find a reason to cut something. There has to be some tree limbs or scrap wood that needs to be whittled on or boxes that need to be destroyed.
Well yeah I destroyed some boxes and all the scrap paper on my desk right off the bat but then again I'm liable to take that notion at about any moment:D

Cliff is all finished up and the knife is heading out to Jeff Pearce in a couple of days.
Thanks again Cliff, I know you were busy getting ready for the show.

Sean

I spent the day getting things somewhat back in order. I just boxed up the knife and aim to get to the post office tomorrow.

I got to use the knife quit a bit and all in all its a great knife. The knife holds an edge very well and any changes I would suggest could be considered personal preference. I like the blade design, a couple changes on the handle would fit my hand better. The knife also has a very functional leather sheath. I would use a heavier belt loop on the sheath, it may not be necessary but I tend to make mine a little overkill. The last thing I want to happen is loose a custom knife out in the woods. I don't feel the need to judge the fit and finish, Sean already said he can always find flaws in his work which means he probably would see something that even a trained eye may overlook. I think any good artist is his own worse critic.
All in all I say thumbs up2thumbs

Here's a few pictures of the knife .It cuts well and hold a good edge. It is a good size for a EDC knife .I will post some more about it in a few hours.
test_012935_x_702.jpg

test_007935_x_702.jpg

test_005935_x_702.jpg

test_026935_x_702.jpg

test_023935_x_702.jpg

test_019935_x_702.jpg

Back